14ft. Alaskan Bear?

Discussion in 'General Hunting' started by Xi Bowhunter, Jan 8, 2004.

1. Xi Bowhunter

Xi Bowhunter 12 pointer

Nov 17, 2002
    Goetz Farm
    My Father called me tonight and was very excited to tell me that a 14 foot tall bear had been killed in Alaska recently. Could this be true? It would be a world record if so....correct? he said that it killed two men in the process and took 8 shots to take it down when all was said and done. The bear measured 14 foot standing up and we could only guess at what it weighs! Has anyone else heard this rumor? I wish I had more info, I will have to ask my father for more details. I will let you know what eles he says about it, I only got to talk to him for a short while. I hope this is true, it would be a great kill, one for the books!

Matt Goetz
    >>------->
    "An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools."
    > >> > > Ernest Hemingway

2. Larry Carter

Larry Carter 8 pointer

Mar 2, 2003
    Crab Orchard, Ky, USA.
    [:)] Might be true but I'll guess it's a rumor. Bout time for that big bear pic to hit circulation real hot again. My mind says how come a 14 footer all of a sudden after all the years of none close to that? Having been around those critters a little I think any I saw stand would be 14 feet or taller[:D].

3. Darton73

Darton73 6 pointer

Dec 9, 2001
    Yep, I got the "14-footer killed" email not long ago. After doing a little internet research, I found that it was a very popular email hoax a few years back and I guess it got started again. It tells an elaborate story about how it ate a hiker and was killed a few days later by a forest service employee who emptied his .300 mag on it before dropping it right at his feet. Turns out the pictures sent was a real bear killed by a serviceman in Alaska and the bear was only 10 or 11 feet? That's not to say what you have heard, Xi, is the same deal, but there is a hoax email circulating.

Brian Grossman
    Darton73@alltel.net

4. Xi Bowhunter

Xi Bowhunter 12 pointer

Nov 17, 2002
    Goetz Farm
    My father did say something about a hiker being killed, so it may be the same story. But I still havent got all the details.

Matt Goetz
    >>------->
    "An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools."
    > >> > > Ernest Hemingway

5. Multidigits

Multidigits BBBC Members

Dec 10, 2001
    Vine Grove, Ky, USA.
    Bears aren't "world record" size based on the nose to tail measurment. It's a skull measurment that will make it a record or not. In other words, it has to have a big head to be a record.

6. steelslinger

steelslinger 10 pointer

Dec 29, 2003
    Union County, KY, USA.
  7. Redneck

Redneck 6 pointer

Jul 31, 2002
    Barren County, KY
    That picture is everywhere...it aint 14' tall, but its a reall kill i believe, but ive seen that pic for years

[​IMG]