15 Year Anniversary

Discussion in 'General Hunting' started by shaman, Aug 30, 2018.

1. shaman

shaman 8 pointer

Jul 20, 2004
    Neave, KY, USA.
    Fifteen years ago, I was working at the solder factory. There was a smell of a buyout in the air, and all my big projects had been canceled. I was bored. I'd been spending a lot of time here, having just joined the month before. I had been investigating starting my own weblog. I'd been doing a lot of writing. I had a current project, a monograph on Genesis 9 and its relation to Christianity.

I used to go driving at lunch. I'd take the truck up to Lebanon and take the long way along Turtle Creek. It's got a lot of old farms, and I would frequently see deer. This was one such day. I had a lot on my mind. My gut told me I needed to get my resume out, but changing jobs was the last thing I needed at that point.

For reasons too convoluted to mention, I was thinking as well about Jesus Christ. Specifically, I was thinking about how a fellow such as He would ever get the idea in his head to start His ministry. Here was a guy who had reached Thirty without making any big waves in life, and suddenly BANG! He's the Saviour. What was that like?

It then dawned on me that in asking that question in a sincere manner, I had started a ministry of my own. It hit me hard enough that I stopped the truck. Life would no longer be the same. There was no going back.

It took me a good long while to get the truck going again. This was the heaviest thought I'd had as an adult. Fifteen years later, it still resonates with me.

I grabbed lunch in Lebanon and drove back to work still pondering. By the time I got to the lot, I had decided that what I needed to do was look about me. If the Lord wanted me to do His work, He would have left enough signs around me for me to figure out what he wanted.

The results of this search were less than amazing, but then I guess God works like that sometimes. I came back to work and found my unfinished monograph on Genesis 9, on another screen were the instructions for starting a weblog. Another screen had an email from my boss telling me to hold tight and not do anything that might cause him to spend money, and the last was a screen filled with Christ at the Campfire. At the time, I was not exactly sure God intended, but I was going to follow it where it went and started the weblog Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries that afternoon.

It's been running for 15 years. Along the way I've posted about 900 entries. As I have written for the Outdoors, I've filed what I could on there. I remember my buddy Bob's advice that after 8 years of outdoor writing I'd never have to write anything new or original again. Now that I have a body of 15 years worth of content stashed, I can see what he was saying. On the other hand, I'm still writing and I'm still finding new material.

Along the way, I've had hundreds of thousands of visits. I'm currently getting 200-400 a day. A good number of those are from you guys, so you have my sincere thanks for your patronage.

15 Year Anniversary

Drahts, JR PORTER, EC and 5 others like this.
  2. BubEastKY

BubEastKY 6 pointer

Sep 16, 2016
    Keep up the good work! God bless!!

3. rcb216

rcb216 12 pointer

Sep 25, 2005
    Robertson Co.
    I’m so glad your doing what you do. So glad. I myself have gave my life to christ. I don’t do what you do. The talent he gave me I haven’t excactly found yet, I worked as a Paramedic and Firefighter for 20+years till he stoped that. So now after a back injury I find myself doing more for my church. I’m the assistant teacher and fill in for several weeks at a time. I enjoy it, so maybe that’s gonna be it. I dunno. Maybe it’s to spend more time with my kids. I really like talking to my friends and really get into some deep stuff with a good friend of mine, he is catholic and I’m southern baptist. So you can imagine some of our conversations. He peeks in here from time to time. I said all this so I can say this, keep up the good work you never know when that one person will have their life changed by what you do. We are a shrinking minority these days unfortunately.

JR PORTER likes this.
  4. wv67

wv67 6 pointer

Dec 19, 2017
    Southern wva
    Good going , where can a guy find your writing ,

5. shaman

shaman 8 pointer

Jul 20, 2004
    Neave, KY, USA.
    They don't let me use a link to my site in my signature line, However, if you go here, you'll find it:

http://genesis9.angzva.com/

If you ever get stuck looking for me, just Google "cervid serial killer" or "Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries" and I'll be the first hit

6. preachermanabc

preachermanabc Fawn

Oct 24, 2015
    Great story and God's timing is amazing, have had the rough outline for a book for a few years now and the last 2 weeks really been thinking about it again. This is a post that is going to be a catalyst for getting it going.
    Thanks for obedience.

Marsh CallUser likes this.
  7. shaman

shaman 8 pointer

Jul 20, 2004
    Neave, KY, USA.
    Thank you all for understanding. I've had a lot of feedback over the years from folks that thought I should change the name to something catchier-- "Whitetail Destroyer" or "Deer Mangler" or something like that. Frankly, I never could see why these guys name their companies the way they do. They all sound like a bunch of couch potato wannabees.

Genesis 9 pretty much lays it out. It's all food. God expects you to put it on your plate and eat it. Nobody gets all wound up and high-fives over a can of peas or an ear of corn. You don't need a heavy metal soundtrack to mash potatoes or cook beans.

At the same time, it's all God's way of letting us know how mortal we are. So much of our daily life is a denial of Death. God's plan is for us to have a regular exposure to death as a part of our mortal life so we don't forget and try to put ourselves apart from it. Without the promise of our own mortality, Faith can get to seeming rather useless. At least that is the way I see it. Hunting is a reminder of how we fit into things.

rcb216 and BubEastKY like this.