17-18 Kentucky Grouse Season

Discussion in 'Small Game Hunting' started by Deadbeat, Nov 1, 2017.

1. Deadbeat

Deadbeat 6 pointer

Feb 4, 2008
    Frenchburg
    Any news on a date/time for the meeting Lucky Dog? Sure isn't looking like a good weekend to grouse hunt, will be good when it melts but I'll be sitting at work.

2. Lucky Dog

Lucky Dog Fawn

Feb 2, 2017
    Give me a call and I will give you an update. Been out a couple of times this week and have seen more grouse feeding as the season has progressed but it has not translated into more birds yet. It has been puzzling as to where they are residing.

3. Deadbeat

Deadbeat 6 pointer

Feb 4, 2008
    Frenchburg
    I agree, the one I shot a couple weeks ago was in nearly open timber with a few cedar trees in it. The one in the next hollar was by a cedar tree and really not much cover either.

4. banjerpicker1

banjerpicker1 Fawn

Oct 18, 2009
    Its a shame KY dept of fw doesn't care about the grouse population. All about the money once again. Turkey, bear, deer= $. Let the turkeys starve out the grouse. I used to love to grouse hunt. Dad's been out 5 times this yr and hasn't jumped a bird. Good job KY.

5. JonDunn

JonDunn 10 pointer

Dec 26, 2005
    Up the holler
    Another weekend of 0 flushes.

6. Deadbeat

Deadbeat 6 pointer

Feb 4, 2008
    Frenchburg
    You hunted this weekend Jon?

7. hitch

hitch 10 pointer

Jan 16, 2008
    Due to weather and training a new puppy, I haven't been out much. However, hunted today for the third time and again moved zero birds. Granted I'm walking with a 9 month old dog, but it's really bleak in our covers. It wasn't that long ago that we routinely moved 8-10 on average. It's quite sad what's happened and making training tough, he's a beast on pen raised quail but not having any wild grouse to work him on makes it tough. Habitat is endless where we hunt, and there's zero pressure, but there's seemingly no birds. I don't have any answers and wish it would turn back around. A quick search of my past reports shows I'm not a doom and gloomer but that's changing now.

Bee likes this.
  8. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    I bet turkeys impact grouse even more than quail.

9. Lucky Dog

Lucky Dog Fawn

Feb 2, 2017
    My weekend was the same with zero grouse flushes. We did find a covey of wild quail which I took one bird which is my standard practice to maintain covey size. Yesterday program for young hunters at Miller Welch was a good experience. Young hunters got to see pointing dogs actually point. We found a good number of birds even running after the event was over. I am amazed my young setter, now 6 months, is broke considering the number of encounters she has experienced. I still think we need more work on what is happening rather than the emphasis on habitat at this time. I hunted some new cover for me that was dynamite and still not a whiff even where a local had told me he had seen birds. From my research I found that west nile can last into September and with the warm October we experienced this year it might have gone longer. Hope the cold and snow we experienced helps with the disease vector situation.

10. Lucky Dog

Lucky Dog Fawn

Feb 2, 2017

11. trust me

trust me Troubled Loner

Nov 27, 2004
    Jerkwater, KY
    I hunted 3 hours in the snow Saturday where I had seen a bird back in December. Covered it from the branch to the ridge and never saw a grouse track, turkey track or deer track. One set of mink tracks and a well-used coyote trail was all I saw.

12. Panther45

Panther45 Spike

Sep 25, 2013
    I'm sure somewhere along the mink or coyote trail you would find feathers. Lets hope that bird just got smart and moved to another hollar.

13. Bee

Bee 8 pointer

Mar 14, 2005
    Several of us have been clamoring for years on here that the current dramatic drop in grouse population and related issues have very little to do with vegetation /succesional tree habitat. Apparently all that has fallen on Deaf ears.

The best example I can give about priorities within powers that be within the wildlife structure in Ky is stated in a post today on the Elk forum above -about the transplanting /relocation of elk to Bell Co...using helicopters, crews from Montana , etc...likely enough spent right there in one day on elk to fund a serious grouse research project for a year I bet. Not going to happen.

bondhu and barney like this.
  14. Panther45

Panther45 Spike

Sep 25, 2013
    I've said it before and I will say it again. Private land owners are the only hope for grouse and small game and there are not enough of those willing to help out. Not enough money in it for the state to do anything.

upland hunter and JonDunn like this.
  15. JonDunn

JonDunn 10 pointer

Dec 26, 2005
    Up the holler
    I attended the meeting that was held at Berea last Thursday. Lucky Dog wanted to make sure the dept heard some of his concerns and to have them addressed. Just a quick rundown of the meeting...

I want to hold out some hope, but I don't have much faith in it anymore. There was a man there that I don't remember his name. He was from KDFWR. He said it best when he said, "We are 15 years to late to the problem". A biologist from RGS in PA attended the meeting. She seemed to side with FW on everything. She danced around the idea of a study being brought forth. As much as I'd like to see one consist of an egg to death, I'm not sure it's feasible. The cost according to them would be outrageous. An I'm not sure where we could find hens to trap to monitor and get eggs. All the dept wants to do is piggyback off of PA an other states instead of find our a solution to our problems. That pretty much was verbatim coming from Commissioner Johnsons mouth.

We are supposedly now trading the elk for $450,000 and have yet to receive anything for it. We get our first installment of it, I believe $100,000 in the next 6 months or so? It will be used to do habitat work on various WMA'S.

Evidently we don't have the trees in EKY for a pulp mill. That's what I was told. They danced around the question on why they can't get with the legislature and lobby for timber companies to set up shop. EKY is full of poor people. If someone set up shop and paid decent for trees, the people would take advantage. We need to promote the only resource we have left, timber.

Quail was talked about as an alternative to grouse and how we could improve habitat for them on reclaims.

And the big point to alot of grouse hunters will be the ballots sent out to hunters to close February. A simple yes or no vote I assume. It goes much deeper than that though. Where do they get their "grouse hunters" from? There is plenty of grouse hunters that aren't members of KGHA, RGS, or some like minded organization. There are a bunch of grouse hunters that don't send in yearly logs or WNV kits. How are those voices heard? How can we be sure the votes won't be manipulated? It's a very sad time for KY grouse hunters and for the first time I'm afraid it's not gonna get better. The dept I'm afraid is clueless as to what is going on and quit frankly I don't know if anyone knows the answer.