2 zones vs 2 systems HVAC

Discussion in 'Community Forum' started by ptbrauch, Sep 12, 2017.

1. ptbrauch

ptbrauch 12 pointer

Nov 10, 2004
    J-Town
    Anyone have zoned HVAC in their house? Hows it working out for you? What about opinions on installing a 2nd system instead?

2. ptbrauch

ptbrauch 12 pointer

Nov 10, 2004
    J-Town
    No one has a zoned HVAC system in their house?

3. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012
    Not sure what you mean honestly? I do have two units, upstairs and down.

4. Winchester94

Winchester94 Fawn

Mar 21, 2016
    I think 2 systems are better. I have saw some of the 2 zone systems, it looked like a lot of electronic controls. I think there would be a possibility for headaches down the road. A plus for 2 systems is, if one system does break down You still have one operating.

5. slickhead slayer

slickhead slayer 12 pointer

Nov 14, 2005
    VP OF ADMIN Development
    The biggest issue with zoned systems is that they are very complex. Because of that, they have a very high rate of poor installation. Because of that, most experts will tell you to install 2 separate systems over a single zoned system.

6. ptbrauch

ptbrauch 12 pointer

Nov 10, 2004
    J-Town
    A zoned system is where you have 1 HVAC unit but you have 2 thermostats--one in each zone (usually upstairs and down). The system then uses dampers to open or close the airflow between the zones. So if you want it to be 68 upstairs and 70 downstairs, it would open a damper to shift more air upstairs.

7. ptbrauch

ptbrauch 12 pointer

Nov 10, 2004
    J-Town
    I've read that in my research on it. But I also find that people tend to go online and vent about negative experiences more often than when they get what they expect. So I didn't know how much weight to put into what I read and was hoping someone on here had experience with one.

8. Fur Feather

Fur Feather 6 pointer

Dec 27, 2002
    Lexington, KY, USA.
    My house could have used that. Back then it would have been 2 separate systems. Pro - Everybody is comfortable with the upstairs being hotter that downstairs. Con - Twice the equipment to buy and maintain.

9. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012

Oh thanks! Well I can tell you I pay way less with 2 units than I did 1. Also, I've had a unit go out before and have been able to manage with 1 until it was fixed.

10. Feedman

Feedman Cyber-Hunter

May 28, 2003
    In the basement
    I have 2 units also. One for upstairs an one for the basement

11. ribsplitter

ribsplitter Cyber-Hunter

Jan 19, 2004
    rush, ky, USA.
    Daikin is the only way to go IMO . We install them in more and more commercial buildings. Have only done a couple of residential units for buddies . You can actually run several thermostats in different areas from one unit. As stated above ,most residential ramrod techs haven't a clue how to install these systems correctly. On the other hand ,most people won't pay what a true installer charges to put one of these systems in a home correctly.