2018 Shed Thread

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by forager, Jan 11, 2018.

1. shedfinder

shedfinder 6 pointer

Feb 12, 2013
    Louisville, KY
    image.jpg OK guys, while we're waiting for the bucks to drop their headgear, let's discuss what we did last year… I found nine individual and one set. this was the biggest one I found

2. shedfinder

shedfinder 6 pointer

Feb 12, 2013
    Louisville, KY
    IMG_4290.JPG IMG_4288.JPG Decided to go take a hike on a friends farm this afternoon. Found a shed from last year and a fresh one from this year.

forager, HuntsItAll and elkaholic like this.
  3. forager

forager 8 pointer

Mar 5, 2017
    planet earth
    When we find the old sheds all chewed up, I always think "I wonder what this would have looked like freshly dropped?!"

Good luck this season folks!

4. I would start baiting with Cokes. Seems that buck dropped his soft drink before he got to drink it.

5. bah1286

bah1286 6 pointer

Jul 29, 2014
    Shedding antlers is quite an interesting thing. It seems areas that are very close to each other can be very different in the timing some years. One county may see most deer with antlers dropped by February and the next county over still has a good number carrying them into March. An area with good food sources has them dropping early and another dropping late. Same goes for areas with little food, high and low doe populations, hunting pressure etc. I went to Cade's Cove in Tenn one year where there deer are about half tame and they were carrying them in April. I saw a bachelor group of 6 a few years ago on my own place mid march and they all had both sides and saw two nice tens turkey hunting another year and yet I have had good days hunting the first of February and found sheds as early as late December. I understand the science behind it but what I see sure is funny thing.

forager likes this.
  6. elkaholic

elkaholic 12 pointer

Jan 12, 2012
    Pendleton County
    I jumped up 2 bucks last year the last week of March while shed hunting. 1 had 1 antler and the other had both.

7. forager

forager 8 pointer

Mar 5, 2017
    planet earth
    Just got back from an area and found a carcass of a young 4 point that had not dropped. Fairly recent death.

8. elkaholic

elkaholic 12 pointer

Jan 12, 2012
    Pendleton County
    I saw an 8 pointer right before dark with both sides. Still a little early.

forager likes this.
  9. Chilly

Chilly 10 pointer

Found 2 old ones and one fresh one today on public land.

forager and elkaholic like this.
  10. forager

forager 8 pointer

Mar 5, 2017
    planet earth
    Congratulations! Were the old ones chewed up?

11. Chilly

Chilly 10 pointer

Surprisingly, None were chewed on.

forager likes this.
  12. riverboss

riverboss 12 pointer

Jan 26, 2009
    northern ky
    I will have to get some pics but I found a matching set and a single last week in LBL. Really nice 140-150 11 point.
    A single 4 point small rack, also a skull and antler attached buck that was a yr or so old. I'm sure someone was sick after loosing this buck, would of scored in the 140s.

forager likes this.
  13. rlb165

rlb165 8 pointer

Dec 10, 2001
    IMG_3585.JPG Not exactly a shed, but found this last weekend. In the middle of a food plot, no other bones around.

WMAallDAY and forager like this.
  14. EKY.MTN.HUNTER

EKY.MTN.HUNTER 12 pointer

Jul 19, 2006
    Las Montanas
    Cam check today, 3 eight pointers I've been following all year are still packing both sides.

forager likes this.