2019 ky elk drawing

Discussion in 'Elk Hunting' started by jody fiorella, Jan 13, 2019.

1. jody fiorella

jody fiorella Fawn

Jan 14, 2017
    After all the news about the issues with the past elk drawing being not 100% legit, will this years drawing be any better? We all know that when you see people get drawn for gun bull tags multiple times, something is diffidently wrong.

Plus, we do not want the state to trap and trade our elk, period. We paid for them!

davers and elkaholic like this.
  2. kyduck1

kyduck1 6 pointer

Apr 9, 2012
    Well, if they got drawn within the past 3 years they will not get drawn for that tag again per the new rule. However, they are also decreasing the amount of tags again as they should. What might be a worse frustration than not getting drawn is finally getting drawn and not seeing any animals.
    Every guide that I have talked with agrees that numbers are way down and the number of quality bulls has followed suit. Even with all that being said still a fun hunt and an amazing opportunity to hunt these critters in our home state.

3. jody fiorella

jody fiorella Fawn

Jan 14, 2017
    The state needs to stop trapping and hauling off the elk we paid for!

bigbonner, davers and elkaholic like this.
  4. 1wildcatfan

1wildcatfan 12 pointer

Jan 2, 2009
    raised n Bullitt Co.
    Dude, how do you think we got the Ky herd????? they were trapped by several other states to get the Ky herd established. if the sportsmen and women in the western states that gave up elk for Ky had your attitude, you wouldn't have anything to bitch about cause there would be no elk to hunt.
    also, do you know how much RMEF kicked in for the elk?

5. jody fiorella

jody fiorella Fawn

Jan 14, 2017
    Well dude, the state of Ky paid for the elk we have with our tax dollars and from the hunting license sales. I totally understand that the state did a bunch of horse trading back when we got our first elk. We had growing herd. There were elk everywhere. They where even expanding their range. Why over the past 3 years someone decided to trap and transport our elk elsewhere? I could understand a few, but not 100’s!

elkaholic and Genesis 27:3 like this.
  6. 1wildcatfan

1wildcatfan 12 pointer

Jan 2, 2009
    raised n Bullitt Co.
    because other states are trying to establish herds and Ky has a CWD free herd so far. a few of the donated elk come from LBL also, not just the huntable herd in east ky. check again on the elk funding.
    a good read for you.

Attached Files:

carnivore likes this.
  7. jody fiorella

jody fiorella Fawn

Jan 14, 2017
    kDFW spent $1 million and the RMEF spent 4 million.

How much of a economic impact has it had for eastern ky! More than $5 million. The state of Ky has trapped and given over 500 captured elk to Virginia, West Virginia, Tennessee, North Carolina, Wisconsin and Missouri.

I’m guessing that’s why the permit count has gone from 1,000 in 2013 to 594 for 2019.

That might be one of the reasons why the 2018 harvest was only 335.

As a Kentucky resident and a outdoorsman and hunter, I want our elk herd to grow. Hunting has always been the most efficient form quality management.

8. elkaholic

elkaholic 12 pointer

Jan 12, 2012
    Pendleton County
    I agree 110%. Bring them from out west where ours came from.

Genesis 27:3 likes this.
  9. jody fiorella

jody fiorella Fawn

Jan 14, 2017

10. jody fiorella

jody fiorella Fawn

Jan 14, 2017
  11. jody fiorella

jody fiorella Fawn

Jan 14, 2017
    I went with a friend of mine who drew a cow archery tag. While hunting for 3 1/2 days we saw over 80 elk. This has been three years ago. Today you would be lucky to see a hand full. The elk harvest is down. Due to the trapping of our elk! Please stop. Don’t ruin an awesome think.

elkaholic likes this.
  12. GentlemanHunter

GentlemanHunter Spike

Aug 10, 2017
    Fayette County
    We are fortunate to have established our herd when we did. Four of six of the "out west" states that contributed to our herd are now CWD-positive and therefore unable to contribute. Utah gave us over half, and they are positive. If we'd have waited until now, it wouldn't happen. Helping other eastern states establish herds will only help our own, as animals can't read maps to know where the state boundaries are.

Last point, what are you doing to put more elk on the landscape? Are you donating to the RMEF or the Kentucky Fish and Wildlife Foundation? Are you helping to build habitat? Are you helping to open up access? It's fine to want to enjoy the resource we now have, but know that it didn't fall out of the sky. Only EHD does that ;).

1wildcatfan likes this.
  13. elkaholic

elkaholic 12 pointer

Jan 12, 2012
    Pendleton County
    Yes as a matter of fact I have done a lot of things as a volunteer for the RMEF. I helped the department of fish and wildlife catch and tag elk calves every year until the state cut the funding for the brain worm study. I also have helped building elk viewing platforms and helped with a lot of RMEF banquets. Not to mention going down for years as an RMEF volunteer to assist hunters on getting their elk out of the mountains. Not to mention attending other RMEF banquets around the state and in Ohio spending my hard earned money and my yearly donations every year since the first elk tag drawings. I have spent thousands of dollars helping out our elk herd. Last point. Have you done anything for the elk herd besides run your mouth to people that have?

Last edited: Jan 14, 2019
    bigbonner and GentlemanHunter like this.
  14. GentlemanHunter

GentlemanHunter Spike

Aug 10, 2017
    Fayette County
    In that case, I was wrong and I’ll have another service of that crow. Thank you for what you’ve done. And yes, I do contribute time and money to several organizations that are working to improve habitat and access.

But I’m still not convinced that moving <1% of the heard is descimating it.

elkaholic likes this.
  15. elkaholic

elkaholic 12 pointer

Jan 12, 2012
    Pendleton County
    They have moved way more than 1% of the herd. If we have declining numbers they need to stop taking them from here.