2019 ky elk drawing

Discussion in 'Elk Hunting' started by jody fiorella, Jan 13, 2019.

1. Booney

Booney 6 pointer

Nov 27, 2008
    Southeast, KY
    I have thought and thought about the new ky elk draw. I think I won't enter us into the either sex archery. Here is why: tas i understand it, they pick which week you get. I want to hunt bulls during the rut. That's why I drive to Colorado. What's your thoughts? And if kdfwr doesn't pick which week you get in the archery either sex correct me please.

Attached Files:

elkaholic likes this.
  2. WVHUNTER1

WVHUNTER1 Fawn

Nov 9, 2016
    Booney, you may be correct but that isn't the way I thought it was. In past years if you drew a bull archery tag you could hunt before the rifle season and then come back after the rifle season if you were unsuccessful.
    I guess if I drew a December only tag I just wouldn't go. But I guess the down side of that is I wouldn't be able to draw a tag for three years.
    And three years isn't three years, it's three hunting seasons. My son drew in 2016 so 2019 is three years, right. No, isn't right. He wasn't able to apply this year.

3. elkaholic

elkaholic 12 pointer

Jan 12, 2012
    Pendleton County
    Go to Colorado. If I was in better shape and had the money I would. With the way the drawing is here most people will die of old age before being drawn.

davers, Booney and littlebear like this.
  4. 1wildcatfan

1wildcatfan 12 pointer

Jan 2, 2009
    raised n Bullitt Co.
    2020 he's eligible to apply again. same with me a few years ago. you draw, then you can't apply for three seasons, nothing tricky about it.

RLWEBB likes this.
  5. Booney

Booney 6 pointer

Nov 27, 2008
    Southeast, KY
    Nah no tricky here in that. Just that I personally notice locals usually get the archery cow tags if they are drawn at all. I don't want my hunt of a lifetime to be a December week of either sex hunting... that is all.

elkaholic likes this.
  6. RLWEBB

RLWEBB 12 pointer

Nov 30, 2005
    Staffordsville, KY
    I’d be tickled to death with a week of either sex elk hunting in December. Good times!!!

7. bigbonner

bigbonner 10 pointer

Aug 5, 2015
    I am asking ??
    Let say I entered the elk draw and won a Bull tag and suppose after I won a tag that I could not afford or was not unable to go.
    Could a person sell his tag or is it winner hunts only?

8. HuntsItAll

HuntsItAll 6 pointer

Jan 23, 2009
    A hunters paradise
    Only you can use the tag.

9. 1wildcatfan

1wildcatfan 12 pointer

Jan 2, 2009
    raised n Bullitt Co.
    it would be good if tags that couldn't be used, after drawn, could be donated to one of the organizations like make-a-wish, or disabled vets, etc. you would still sit out for three draws before you were eligible to apply again. I think there are states out west that do this.

bigbonner likes this.
  10. carnivore

carnivore 12 pointer

Nov 17, 2007
    Ky
    Ive been drawn 3 times and am noone special, makes me think it must be legit. I assume commissioner tags/ land owner tags have political favors but imo the draw is legit.

RLWEBB and xbokilla like this.
  11. tnbrownfish

tnbrownfish Fawn

Apr 3, 2017
    East TN
    Fellows here is something that I have heard very little about. Predator control who are they Coyotes, Bears and something Game and Fish probably won't admit to Cougars and some Bobcats. The bear can kill 70% of the calves a year so that doesn't leave very many more for coyotes and cougars to really put the hurting on the wildlife especially elk and deer. The bear killed better than 80% of the elk calves in the Smokies and you can't take them far enough away to keep them from coming back. So get a bear permit and Kill all the coyotes that you can kill whatever it takes to get their population DOWN. Easter Coyotes must have 85% killed out each year just to keep them LEVEL not growing. But remember that is Every Year ! Yep that is a reality check. So be careful and KILL The Snot Out of EM! Remember carry a shovel and ______!

RLWEBB and elkaholic like this.
  12. ptbrauch

ptbrauch 12 pointer

Nov 10, 2004
    The OC
    We find out tomorrow how our annual donation went.

elkaholic and mac0492 like this.
  13. bondhu

bondhu 12 pointer

Jul 3, 2015
    Battle Run
    Let me know if you hear my name

14. bowhunter269

bowhunter269 12 pointer

Nov 21, 2006
    Fisherville, KY
    I've got my rifle loaded and safety off...…..just browsing for an outfitter !!

carnivore likes this.
  15. louisvillehunter

louisvillehunter Spike

Oct 27, 2017
    Louisville
    Good Luck to everyone today! Fingers Crossed!

elkaholic and racsr like this.