-5 this morning

Discussion in 'Waterfowl Hunting' started by wprebeck, Jan 6, 2018.

1. wprebeck

wprebeck 10 pointer

Jun 7, 2004
    Louisville, KY.
    My boy got drawn for a youth hunt at Pfeiffer hatchery today, so I took off work and headed to Frankfort. Temp was a balmy -5 upon our arrival.

Nary a bird to be seen or heard, and we stayed til 1045. We've been before, and I know it holds a lot of resident geese. Nothing today...all the ponds are locked up, but they left their mixers (their word) on, for the two ponds that have blinds.

Yeah... the blinds are on the opposite side of the pond, so the hole was a good 70 yards away. Took a mix of floaters and full bodies - good thing.

So, that was a bit frustrating, but the thing that really chapped my ass was the lack of a bench in the blind. No place to sit at all....they used to have benches, so what the heck?

In any case, it was a good day out, even with no birds. Have a 3 day weekend, and we're off to scout - and maybe shoot, if we're lucky. Just need that precipitation for Sunday/Monday to be snow amd not rain or ice.

2. B.M. Barrelcooker

B.M. Barrelcooker 12 pointer

Jan 12, 2006
    Aintry,Ky
    I can understand how a bench could chap your ass but how can you blame a chapped ass on the absence of a bench ?

wprebeck likes this.
  3. wprebeck

wprebeck 10 pointer

Jun 7, 2004
    Louisville, KY.

The ground is cold, man...gonna need the wife to help warm things up.

4. Marsh CallUser

Marsh CallUser 12 pointer

May 20, 2011
    Bowling Green, KY
    It was 2 degrees whenI left the ramp this morning. That 4 mile run was the longest boat ride I've ever been on. But it was worth it- a day of firsts for me.

5. hunt-4-life21

hunt-4-life21 12 pointer

Sep 26, 2007
    Butler Co.
    My brain was froze after a few miles. I thought we were never getting to our spot.

Marsh CallUser likes this.
  6. bigpuddin43

bigpuddin43 12 pointer

Feb 21, 2007
    bucktown
    awful lot of whining for all the ducks that are being killed right now.

bmason likes this.
  7. claynut69

claynut69 6 pointer

Nov 14, 2007
    pulaski, co
    Pictures?

8. Marsh CallUser

Marsh CallUser 12 pointer

May 20, 2011
    Bowling Green, KY
    I wish I would have taken some, but honestly, that was the furthest thing from my mind.