7mm08

Discussion in 'Modern Firearms' started by kyoutdoorsman, Jul 29, 2017.

1. kyoutdoorsman

kyoutdoorsman 6 pointer

Jan 19, 2016
    if you were going to buy a new 7mm08 what would u buy. and can't be over 500.00 what would u buy. bare gun and then buy a scope. or a package deal.

2. turkeyhunter91

turkeyhunter91 10 pointer

Apr 3, 2007
    I was in dicks sporting goods a few days ago and seen they had a 7mm08 in the adl that was stainless with a scope. They was on sale for I believe 499, I'm not sure when the sale ends. I would also recommend looking at a ruger american. I have a youth in 223 and it shoots really good and they seem to have great customer service because back in the spring the clip wouldn't push the last shell up to load so I called them and they didn't give me any hassle and sent me 2 for the trouble.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2017
  3. stevenvalleyagain

stevenvalleyagain 10 pointer

Aug 15, 2005
    Valley station
    I would go buy a new Ruger American. If you can find one used with a decent scope, go for it. If not, buy new. I see them frequently for like $379 but have seen them new for $329. If you can get one that cheap, it even leaves you $170 for a scope. Unless you are planning to shoot over 500 yards at a target range, that should be enough to get a decent, huntable scope and stay under 500 bucks.

4. Amos Moses

Amos Moses Fawn

Mar 10, 2011
    Whittaker's 10% off sale ends today (Promo code GRAND). Ruger American lists for $380 bare and $521 with redfield scope. With 10% discount, you're at $340 and $470 respectively.

5. Cornpile

Cornpile 12 pointer

Dec 1, 2006
    Kornfield County,KY
    Buds Guns 416.00 cash price Savage 11 TH XP 7MM-08 Nikon Scope

Attached Files:

mtwashingtonhunter likes this.
  6. stevenvalleyagain

Aug 15, 2005
    Valley station
    Looks like a good one too. I have an axis that is pretty accurate too, just not as accurate or as good a fit and finish as the rugers. Savage makes good guns and if you are into shooting ALOT,they are something to consider since a barrel change can be done at home and not have to be taken to a gunsmith like other rifles. If it's just a hunting gun that you will shoot a box of ammo thru before gun season then make a time or 2 while hunting every year, then that won't matter. Either way, lots of companies make cheap rifles nowadays that are more accurate than high dollar custom guns made 20 years ago. Ruger, savage, howa, Remington, tikka, Winchester all make cheap very accurate guns these days. While I love the amazing accuracy of my 2 Ruger American, I wouldn't hesitate to buy any of those other brands of new rifles if I could find a great deal on one.

7. Teach Deer

Teach Deer 6 pointer

Aug 4, 2013
    Georgetown
    Savage M11s with Accu-Triggers are difficult to beat for accuracy out of the box--most of the packaged scopes are junk--match your scope to the type of hunting you do (do you really need hold-over points ? / adjustable turrets ? / 20x magnification ? / etc)--three position safety (I like these)

Remington M700 Youth are nice as well--scope again is junk--smaller stock is nice when wearing a lot of clothes in the cold--two position safety

mtwashingtonhunter likes this.
  8. predator1

predator1 10 pointer

Dec 25, 2008
    Glasgow,Ky
    Depends on the package. The savage Trophy Hunter packages come with Nikon scopes. Hardly throw away junk that used to come on them.

9. mtwashingtonhunter

mtwashingtonhunter Fawn

Nov 27, 2009
    Savage/Nikon package is the best factory package shooter...great trigger (make sure it has the Accutrigger).

10. kyoutdoorsman

kyoutdoorsman 6 pointer

Jan 19, 2016
    so is that a good gun and a package deal. the savage 11 111 7mm08 for 419.00

11. 454Casull

454Casull Spike

Oct 20, 2006
    Woodford County
    It's a very good gun and package deal. There's also a $50 rebate on them right now. Bud's is showing $416 minus the $50 rebate, so $366.

12. ptbrauch

ptbrauch 12 pointer

Nov 10, 2004
    J-Town
    For what it's worth, it was about this time 2 years ago and they did it again last year that Savage Axis were on sale. I got mine for $209 and $219 when I got them, after the rebate Savage was offering.

13. shaman

shaman 8 pointer

Jul 20, 2004
    Neave, KY, USA.
    I've had bad luck with package deals. As a for instance, I had a Simmons scope come apart on a Savage package after less than 30 rounds of off-MAX 30-06 reloads. I recently took in a friend's Mossberg Patriot in 308 WIN that had not had the Weaver rail afixed properly to the receiver. When he shot it, 3 of the 4 screws backed out and the 4th sheered off, because it couldn't handle the strain by itself. It was a long hairy story after that. It eventually ended up with the gunsmith buying the Patriot and ordering another one from Mossberg to replace it.

If I had to go out right now and buy a 7mm-08 with a sub $500 budget , I'd buy the Ruger American. It's a damn nice rifle. I recently worked on the aforementioned Mossberg, and also had a Ruger American Predator on the bench. I much preferred the Ruger. If someone handed me one to work up for KY deer hunting, I'd throw a Bushnell Banner 3-9X40 on it and tell them to go hunt.

I'd also order it in 308 WIN instead of 7mm-08. I know a lot of folks out there that say the 7mm-08 is the schizz, but it is not going to do anything the 308 WIN can't do, especially in the kind of situations you're going to find in KY.

stevenvalleyagain likes this.
  14. ptbrauch

ptbrauch 12 pointer

Nov 10, 2004
    J-Town
    That reminds me, if you do get a package deal, make sure you take the scope off and check the tightness of the base screws and rings. I chased a problem for about 4 months because even though I changed out the scope, I didn't check the base screws and when I finally decided to go over every possibility before I'd try to send it back, I found out the base screws were loose.

stevenvalleyagain likes this.
  15. stevenvalleyagain

Aug 15, 2005
    Valley station
    Agree completely about the Ruger and you are correct about the 308. Its ALMOST identical ballistically to the 7mm-08. Uses the same case but instead of the.308 diameter bullet in the 308win, they necked it down and stuffed a .284 bullet in there. Because 284 bullets usually have a slightly but not always better BC, 7mm-08 should be a little flatter shooting at long range. But you wouldnt likely be able to tell the difference at less than 400 yards. Also, if you ever get a chance at an elk, the heavier 180 grain loads available for the 308 would be better suited than the heaviest bullets for the 7mm-08 even if a long action like 30-06 would be better suited than either of them.
    On top of all that, 308 passes the "walmart" test much better as there are usually a bunch of different loads available on the shelf as opposed to 7mm-08 that they only carry a couple loads for at most. Either will work just fine for Ky deer but the 308 has a much larger selection of ammo on the shelf everywhere.