A bear will run from you...lol

Discussion in 'General Hunting' started by Natureboy21, Nov 27, 2017.

1. Natureboy21

Natureboy21 Spike

Nov 24, 2017
    Kentucky
    Just spoke to a man from the dept of fish and game and I simply asked him if I was permitted to carry my 9mm glock with me when up in the mountains of Harlan ky while deer scouting as I am afraid of running in to a big bruin on those lonely logging roads..he said I had nothing to worry about as they generally run from a human...now I don't know about any of you..but there was a story about some college kids in a park in NEW YORK AND THAT BEAR STALKED BOTH OF THEM AND KILLED THEM..NOW WITH ALL DUE RESPECT. TO KY DEPT OF FISH AND GAME..I WILL BE DAMNED IF I AM GOING TO TAKE THAT ADVICE THAT THEY WILL RUN....B.S!
    MY DAD KILLED A MONSTER BEAR ON THE MAINE / CANADA BORDER AND THAT BEAR TRACKED HIM..YES I SAID THAT BEAR TRACKED HIM WHILE HE WAS BEAR HUNTING AND IT TOOK HIM 5 SHOTS WITH A 303 BRITISH WITH THE LAST SHOT BEING A HEAD SHOT AT 11 YARDS TO KEEP THAT BIG SOB FROM MAULING HIM TO DEATH..A BEAR WILL GENERALLY RUN FROM YOU...YEAH..IM NOT TAKEING A CHANCE..

2. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

Last edited: Nov 27, 2017
    elkaholic and Natureboy21 like this.
  3. Natureboy21

Natureboy21 Spike

Nov 24, 2017
    Kentucky
    Why in the hell duster would ky dept of fish and game make such a idiotic claim? A bear will run from you....BS!

elkaholic likes this.
  4. Natureboy21

Natureboy21 Spike

Nov 24, 2017
    Kentucky
    Ky fish and game are going to get folks hurt with such stupid talk

elkaholic likes this.
  5. bondhu

bondhu 10 pointer

Jul 3, 2015
    Battle Run
    LMOA, not very reassuring is it. Only picture you have is them scooping up Bear poop looking for your DNA, sayin to one another can you believe that bear ate the Natureboy21 WOOOoooo! :D

elkaholic likes this.
  6. JDMiller

JDMiller 12 pointer

Jun 12, 2005
    " Between the Rivers "
    In Ky.... it was changed several years ago ....but it is lawful to carry a weapon for personal defense anytime afield.... hunting or otherwise.

It just needs to be open carry .... or can be concealed if you have a Ky CDWL or one from a reciprocal state.

Which only two things come to mind concerning bears...... one is I'd probably carry something a tad larger than a 9mm to defend myself from a bear. Id suggest a 44mag or larger or even better a shotgun with slugs.

The other... is if you actually kill one in defense.... you need to be dang sure that was the case that you felt threatened for your life.
    As just circumstances your paths crossed that of a bear... don't necessarily mean you can start blazing away. Anything other than defending yourself from attack... probably going to get you a hefty fine & then some.

As far as saying a bear will run from you.... 99% of the time that is correct. Which back years ago I spent two weeks fishing up in Canada and had daily encounters with bears the whole time I was there. Which was a case in Ontario.. you weren't allowed to pack a firearm. So that was out of the equation.

Most times they would just run away....but had a few that would try to bluff you a little ...then turn and run.

Cant say I ever felt easy the whole time I was there... but I did get a little use to it. I'd probably at least carry some bear spray with me if I ever went back.

Just saying.

elkaholic likes this.
  7. Natureboy21

Natureboy21 Spike

Nov 24, 2017
    Kentucky
    Sir I can't tell of you are taking me seriously or just messing with me..no disrespect meant

elkaholic and bondhu like this.
  8. JR in KY

JR in KY 10 pointer

Jan 25, 2006
    The Occupied South
    I know I will get criticized for saying this. But.

Ky Fish and Game have a bunch of new age Biologists who don't know shit besides what they have read in a Tree Huggin book.
    A Bunch of the game wardens only want to give out as many citations as they can , many for some ridiculous BS violation.
    I have No use for people like this.
    That's my opinion and I stand by it.
    By the way. A freaking Bear can and Will kill you if it's having a bad hair day.

9. Natureboy21

Natureboy21 Spike

Nov 24, 2017
    Kentucky
    Well the one my dad shot did not bluff or run..he came straight on..in any case..my glock is all I have..but will invest in some bear spray..and if you spook a bear..they can go from scared to angry in a heartbeat

10. 1wildcatfan

1wildcatfan 12 pointer

Jan 2, 2009
    raised n Bullitt Co.
    reality of it is, black bears have killed only a dozen or so people the past 75 yrs or so per a study that was done by one of the universitys out west. they typically turn tail and head the other way. better chance of getting hit by lightning. now coastal browns and interior grizzlies are a different story, they are not to be messed with.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2017
    Giveem3outdoors likes this.
  11. Natureboy21

Natureboy21 Spike

Nov 24, 2017
    Kentucky
    Thank you for seeing the serious side of my argument

12. Natureboy21

Natureboy21 Spike

Nov 24, 2017
    Kentucky
    What about the two college kids that were stalked and killed in upper new York?

13. JR in KY

JR in KY 10 pointer

Jan 25, 2006
    The Occupied South
    I Don't think anyone is making fun of you.
    I KNOW it's just a movie but you should watch the Bear Attack on the movie Reveant on YouTube. It has happened for real.

14. Natureboy21

Natureboy21 Spike

Nov 24, 2017
    Kentucky
    When I'm in the woods..as far as I'm concerned ..A BEAR IS AT THE TOP OF THE FOOD CHAIN

elkaholic likes this.
  15. bondhu

bondhu 10 pointer

Jul 3, 2015
    Battle Run
    Both:), I would pack something larger than a 9 mm anything can happen when out and about.

KYote-Krusher likes this.