A bear will run from you...lol

Discussion in 'General Hunting' started by Natureboy21, Nov 27, 2017.

1. Natureboy21

Natureboy21 Spike

Nov 24, 2017
    Kentucky
    Never know when a man could run into some dope heads in those mountains either....as for me..I have a very healthy respect for bears..and will always be looking over my shoulder when in those mountains

bondhu likes this.
  2. 1wildcatfan

1wildcatfan 12 pointer

Jan 2, 2009
    raised n Bullitt Co.
    didn't say it never happened, just very seldom. a lot of black bears in north America and a lot of people in the bears habitat annually. fatalities are few and far between. need to be more concerned about falling out of a deer stand. I take it you haven't been bear hunting where there's a large population of bears? I've had them 3-4 steps away from me in Alberta. kicked one in the nose when it climbed up the ladder stand I was in. that gets the adrenalin flowing along with about to pee yourself.

3. Natureboy21

Natureboy21 Spike

Nov 24, 2017
    Kentucky
    I hunt from a hub style blind..

4. JDMiller

JDMiller 12 pointer

Jun 12, 2005
    " Between the Rivers "
    The Revenant is one of my favorite movies.... one tough SOB.

One movie any hunter needs to see ....Grizzly Man about Tim Treadwell who lived with the bears... at least for awhile.

Which I'm not trying to be mean or disrespectful .......but it will make you start rooting for the bears about 1/2 way through the movie.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2017
  5. JDMiller

JDMiller 12 pointer

Jun 12, 2005
    " Between the Rivers "
    There's been some studies that say.... hub style blinds or certain dome shaped pop-up tent structures ...actually attract bears.

1wildcatfan likes this.
  6. Natureboy21

Natureboy21 Spike

Nov 24, 2017
    Kentucky
    NOT A FAN OF TREESTANDS..SORRY

7. 1wildcatfan

1wildcatfan 12 pointer

Jan 2, 2009
    raised n Bullitt Co.
    and they can really sense fear which makes them more aggressive. after you crap yourself, it's all but over, that's like a cherry on top of a Sunday to a bear.

BNewNKY46 likes this.
  8. forager

forager 6 pointer

Mar 5, 2017
    planet earth
    In the future, I strongly encourage you to get that individual saying that on video, and clarify if it is an official statement from KDF&W or just a personal opinion.

Have your attorney's number on speed dial and their card in your wallet. You have the right to defend yourself, but it costs money to do so.

KDF&W staff take their job protecting the bears very seriously. I have no doubt that poaching is an issue, and some people abuse the self defense argument.

"It's just a bear acting like a bear and you are an intruder in its home" is an argument that non hunting nature lovers like to make. As hunters, the woods are part of our home, and we have the right to protect ourselves. I feel safer in the woods than I do in the city, but still take precautions to defend myself.

9. timer

timer 8 pointer

Feb 20, 2013
    La Grange
    A few years ago while we were on a fishing trip in Alaska, we saw a broken down pick-up truck and a couple of miles down the road was a guy hitch-hiking. We surmised what had happened and stopped to pick him up.

Turns out he was a brown bear guide on Kodiak Island. My friend told him that he had heard that bears will track humans and that it was good to carry a .45 with you just in case you can't get your rifle or shotgun pointed in time.

The guide said that the only effective shot with a .45 is what the guides call the "elbow" shot. When we asked what that is, he said that you hold the gun at arms length away from your body. When you feel the bear bite down on your elbow you begin to pull the trigger....

Seriously, even for a black bear, I'd want more than a 9mm....That's just gonna make him mad.

1wildcatfan likes this.
  10. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

I thought I was the only one who kicked one in the nose when it tried to share the stand with me. It was a young one and I would say just curious. I do know a swift kick in the nose will make one turn loose of the ladder and grab it's nose falling to the ground. After it was all over I had to laugh, you could hear that little bear breaking brush for 100 yards or more.
    Talking about weapons to defend yourself our female outfitter that had been at it years only carried a single bit ax for protection if given the choice. The last time we hunted with her there was a berry crop fail and we were told bears were aggressive near any bait site. Her husband borrowed a 44 mag rifle and made her promise she would carry it that year.

forager likes this.
  11. JDMiller

JDMiller 12 pointer

Jun 12, 2005
    " Between the Rivers "
    I couldn’t imagine being in a ground blind... too many blind spots where a bear could slip up on you. Which your pretty much like lunch in a sandwich baggy in one of those things. One quick swat of those claws ... be like opening a snickers.

BNewNKY46, bondhu and Natureboy21 like this.
  12. Natureboy21

Natureboy21 Spike

Nov 24, 2017
    Kentucky
    YEAH THATS OK. HE CAN HAVE THE DEER THE STAND AND WHATEVER ELSE HE WANTS AS FAR AS IM CONCERNED
    IM GETTING. AS MUCH DISTANCE BETWEEN ME AND HIM AS I. CAN....THIS COUNTRY BOY AINT STUPID

13. forager

forager 6 pointer

Mar 5, 2017
    planet earth
  14. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

I see where one don't like treestands, The most nervous I ever got was sitting on a 5 gallon bucket behind a screen of short pine tree's and the bucket was full of teeth marks about 50 yards from three bait barrels. In fact we had to look around a few minutes to find that darn bucket. I did the best I could keeping a eye out over my shoulder. Last time we hunted with that outfitter, He cost me one of around 450/500 pounds because he was drunk and didn't do what he was supposed to do. Lied to me big time in the process.