A bear will run from you...lol

Discussion in 'General Hunting' started by Natureboy21, Nov 27, 2017.

1. shaman

shaman 8 pointer

Jul 20, 2004
    Neave, KY, USA.
    I've had quite a few bear encounters over the years. Some were downright scary. Some were kind of comical. I've had few in KY, most of them were in ON and MN. What I can tell you is this:

1) Under most circumstances, unless you're coming between a black bear and its food or a sow and its cubs, you can usually bluff your way out.
    2) If I was seriously worried about defending yourself against a bear, one of the last things I'd want at hand is a 9mm auto. You might kill it, but you'll die trying. I'd start with a stout 44 MAG and go up from there. Big bore rifle, shotgun with slugs-- that sort of thing. I've gone armed before, but it was more as a hedge against 2-legged rattlesnakes.
    3) I had a buddy who got on the bad side of a bear and had to shoot it out. He had a 30-40 Krag with a full magazine and emptied into the bruin before it fell at his feet. They will take a lot of punishment.
    4) The best thing I've found when meeting a bear is a) make sure he's got a way out. b) Make sure you've got a way out. Don't block A and use B and back your way out, explaining to the bear what your intentions are. Most bear don't want a confrontation, and will take your cues. It's a lot like meeting up with a irate landowner with a shotgun. He usually just wants you off his property and will let you go as long as you show proper respect.

KYote-Krusher and forager like this.
  2. wprebeck

wprebeck 10 pointer

Jun 7, 2004
    Louisville, KY.
    Nevermind....the way you were expounding upon training made it sound as if you actually had experience. If you don't know what OC is, you don't have what I was thinking.

3. EdLongshanks

EdLongshanks 12 pointer

Nov 16, 2013
    Northern Kentucky
    I've been "oc'd." I feel like Rambo after saying that.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2017
  4. RLWEBB

RLWEBB 12 pointer

Nov 30, 2005
    Staffordsville, KY
    Sounds like next time I go into the woods, I may be immediately attacked by a bear, be ate, and never seen again. Like others said, I’d be much more afraid of other people than a bear.

rabbit dawg likes this.
  5. wprebeck

wprebeck 10 pointer

Jun 7, 2004
    Louisville, KY.
    The stuff hurts....bad. Two full exposures for training purposes over the years, plus countless incidentals during incidents. I don't even carry it anymore, since I now have a Taser. Stuff gets everywhere, hard to clean up....

Not to derail the thread, but I once had to leave shift early. Sprayed a guy during a fight, it got everywhere, as usual. Washed my hands no fewer than three times...was not sufficient, as I called my shift lieutenant after I used the bathroom. Things got a little heated - if you know what I mean....

KYote-Krusher likes this.
  6. forager

forager 6 pointer

Mar 5, 2017
    planet earth
    Experience with what exactly? This isn't a competition, but a discussion about safety around bears. Anything that you would want to contribute to helping minimize conflicts with wildlife would be appreciated.

7. wprebeck

wprebeck 10 pointer

Jun 7, 2004
    Louisville, KY.
    Nothing at all, thought you were going somewhere else with your post.

Carry on.

8. forager

forager 6 pointer

Mar 5, 2017
    planet earth
    Does anyone use dogs as a warning system to alert you to presence of bears in the area?

9. BigPete

BigPete 10 pointer

Sep 7, 2007
    Whitesburg, KY
    I hate bear... I despise Bear..... I wish bear could catch a form of blue tongue and totally wipe them out!

I've lost thousands of dollars worth of items due to these critters, only to be talked to like a dog by a bear biologist so young that he still smells like baby shampoo.

When a bear gets on your porch and tears up your gas grill then green britches makes you out to be a criminal and tells you to take your gas grill inside each time after use, you kinda get hard feelings!

The bear population is exploding, Its nothing to see multiple bear in a single day here in Letcher County.

I'd rather have a hair in my soup than a bear on my property.

10. EdLongshanks

EdLongshanks 12 pointer

Nov 16, 2013
    Northern Kentucky
    Hahaha. That's awesome!

11. Dark Cloud

Dark Cloud 8 pointer

Aug 14, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    I’ve never had to deal with a bear,and I don’t have no desire to hunt one or want em around either.Brother in law had one get in his bee hives twice in one day,up in pike co. ,warden brought two or three plastic shells and gave to use.Acording to the biologist on them call in shows,they can fine you if a bear gets in your garbage.Thats good to know,so if you call them ,you could get fined ,if you don’t call ,who knows what might happen to that ole bear.

barney likes this.
  12. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
  13. forager

forager 6 pointer

Mar 5, 2017
    planet earth
    Can you record the conversation when he talks to you like that next time and post it on Youtube or Facebook? I have dealt with these elitist tree huggers before, and once the phone is pulled out, their usually demeanor changes quickly. I always tell them "I am going to record you acting like a bully and post it online and we are all going to laugh at you!"

14. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    If, so help me, God, I catch a bear tearing up my grill.. I'm gonna invite him to stay for porridge!;)

nock, Powerstro284, hotdog and 3 others like this.
  15. Feedman

Feedman Cyber-Hunter

May 28, 2003
    In the basement
    If I find a bear teAring up my grill, I am going to do my best to make sure he ends up on it

barney and elkaholic like this.