A bear will run from you...lol

Discussion in 'General Hunting' started by Natureboy21, Nov 27, 2017.

1. elkaholic

elkaholic 10 pointer

Jan 12, 2012
    Pendleton County
    You can always make sure that you have someone by your side that you can out run. As for carrying, I live in Pendleton county and the chance of running into a bear is next to impossible, but when I go back on my farm I am always packing my 45 unless I am deer hunting and have a rifle.

2. KYote-Krusher

KYote-Krusher 10 pointer

Jan 12, 2006
    South Central Kentucky
    ROF!! :D:D

elkaholic likes this.
  3. shaman

shaman 8 pointer

Jul 20, 2004
    Neave, KY, USA.
    One of the best reasons for not shooting a bear is the same as the reasons you want to avoid shooting a human. It works kind of the same way. Yes, there are instances where shooting and killing either one is completely righteous, but now you've got a dead body and somehow someway Law Enforcement is going to get involved. Now you've got legal problems and legal expenses. The bear's family wants to bring suit against you for wrongful death. The sow wants $250,000 for lost wages, etc. It becomes a civil rights issue when the National Association for the Advancement of Bears (NAAB) calls the attack racially motivated. Now your face is on Hannity every night.

In either case, unless you come out of the woods with life-threatening injuries and can prove they came from the bear, or you're really, really good at the 3 S's, you're going to have more trouble than its worth putting a cap in Ol' Yogi. Drop the picnic basket, back away slowly.

JR in KY likes this.
  4. bondhu

bondhu 10 pointer

Jul 3, 2015
    Battle Run
    So what your saying shaman, Is I need to get the dead bear under the roof of one of my structures.:)

elkaholic likes this.
  5. shaman

shaman 8 pointer

Jul 20, 2004
    Neave, KY, USA.
    . . . and make sure you use place your non-traceable drop piece in the bear's front paw after wiping off your fingerprints.

elkaholic, Powerstro284 and bondhu like this.
  6. Bee

Bee 8 pointer

Mar 14, 2005
    Generally, as others have alluded, the further south in US you get the less likely you are to have to deal with a bad black bear (especially in an area where bears are commonly interfacing with humans). Northern US and especially N W US and W canada the black bears are far more aggressive as a rule and to be respected as dangerous critters.

Take whatever precautions you feel you need , but honestly I dont think much personal attack protection is needed against bears south of Ky. I have run one out of my cabin with a broom in the Smokies. I think there is one bear fatality in the history of the GSMNP. There have been a couple of recent fatalities in Tenn and Ga outside the Smokies in last 20 years. Again carry what you wish but the chances of a southern bear coming after you are not great unless you have been feeding it peanut butter out the car window and decide to suddenly jerk the jar away from it; in which case a paw swipe for the jar is likely forthcoming and you may get hit.

As to garbage and food tainted grills and so forth a bear anywhere in the US is going to go to it anywhere it can find food.

7. BigPete

BigPete 10 pointer

Sep 7, 2007
    Whitesburg, KY
    A man has a better change of escaping any legal issues by killing another man than he does harming one hair on a nuisance bear here in East KY.

Bear are too profitable for KDFW to let a property owner actually protect his property against bears.

8. BigPete

BigPete 10 pointer

Sep 7, 2007
    Whitesburg, KY
    At what point is enough enough though?

A old man of 85 here in Letcher County that raised bees all his life had to stop because Bear keep raiding his hives and destroying them, destroyed them numerous times.

Blackberry Bushes in my neighbors garden trampled and broke off.

Apple Trees with limbs broke out of them to the point of killing the trees.

Keep your garbage in your house for 7 days to only be taken outside as you watch for the garbage truck to run, any earlier and it's scattered all over your neighborhood.

No dog food allowed in a steel garbage can at your rabbit beagle lot.

Feeders, well, feeders are useless.

Cameras, for whatever reason bears LOVE to destroy cameras.

Blinds, bears will tear a empty blind down in 3-4 days and shred it until nothing is recognizable.

I mentioned my gas grill issues already.

Not allowed to clean fish anywhere around your house now because if a bear comes you baited them in according to ole green britches.

Muddy paw prints on your porch and your windows.

I could go on and on, but it's useless.

I'm at the point of being like "Bear Claw" Chris Lapp from Jeremiah Johnson, I want to say I collect the claws!!!

nock, EC, barney and 2 others like this.
  9. elkaholic

elkaholic 10 pointer

Jan 12, 2012
    Pendleton County
    The 3 S's apply.

10. TripleGee

TripleGee 12 pointer

Sep 13, 2003
    Somerset
    In 2012 I ran into one a mile from the car on Middle Ridge in Beaver Creek WMA. I was headed back to car and I saw it was in my lane on the forest road about 35 yds. away. I stopped and starting yelling the typical things as if the damn thing could speak and understand English cussing. So, it ran away BUT! it jumped into the woods and ran right past me just up the bank on the other side of the forest road. I was puckered up pretty good at that time. SO, I started walking backwards yelling and waving my arms. About the time I got to where he was when I first saw him, HE CAME BACK. He stood at the edge of the road on that little bluff and just watched me. So I picked up a big stob (8 foot branch) I had moved out of the road on my way in and started to slam it against the ground and really yelling. He just stood there watching me. I kept yelling and walking backward for about a half mile or so and luckily, he didn't pursue me. Had he but known that he was facing a 53 yr old grizzled crippled man at the time armed only with a knife, that bear would have eaten well for a few days.
    To this day, I look for bears anytime I am in Beaver Creek first then deer sign.

11. rlb165

rlb165 8 pointer

Dec 10, 2001
    Yes, you can carry.

http://www.lrc.ky.gov/Statutes/statute.aspx?id=1966

150.172 Possession and use of firearm for self-defense and defense of others while hunting or trapping -- Exceptions -- Administrative regulations.

(1) Any person who is not prohibited by state or federal law from possessing a firearm may carry a firearm and ammunition for that firearm for purposes of self-defense and defense of others while hunting, fishing, trapping, or engaging in any other activity not constituting a crime under KRS Chapter 218A or Chapters 500 to 534, and may do so on any public lands under the control of the department and on any private land under the control of the department, unless the owner of the private land has posted notice that concealed deadly weapons are not allowed in a building where they may be prohibited pursuant to KRS 237.110 or 237.115.

(2) (a)

A person may use a firearm, if he or she is not prohibited by state or federal law from possessing a firearm, or may use any other deadly weapon, at any time and during any season to:

1. Kill or attempt to kill an animal, whether protected or unprotected, in self-defense or defense of another person; or

2. Kill or attempt to kill an injured animal for humane purposes.
    1. (b) An arrest shall not be made, except upon a warrant issued by a judge of a court of competent jurisdiction, and a citation shall not be issued by a peace officer if an animal is killed under circumstances described in paragraph (a) of this subsection.

2. (c) A citation may be issued by a peace officer who witnesses the killing of an animal in violation of a statute or federal regulation under circumstances different from those described in paragraph (a) of this subsection.

3. (d) An arrest warrant or a summons may be issued by a judge of a court of competent jurisdiction, upon application of the appropriate county attorney, if the court believes that there is sufficient cause to doubt the claim that the animal was killed under circumstances described in paragraph (a) of this subsection.
    1. (3) In cases where an animal is killed and there is a claim that the animal was killed under circumstances described in paragraph (a) of subsection (2) of this section, the department shall provide forensic evidence or other competent evidence as to how the animal was killed and the circumstances surrounding the event.

2. (4) The department shall not promulgate administrative regulations restricting any right provided by this section or the spirit thereof.

3. (5) This section shall not apply to the killing, wounding, or other prohibited act relating to specific wildlife which are protected by the federal Endangered Species Act, 16 U.S.C. secs. 1531 to 1544; federal Migratory Bird Treaty Act, 16 U.S.C. secs. 703 to 712; or federal Bald and Golden Eagle Protection Act, 16 U.S.C. secs. 668 to 668d.

4. (6) The principles contained in KRS Chapter 503 relating to the use of force and deadly force against human beings shall apply to acts where wildlife is involved.

Effective: July 15, 2010
      History: Created 2010 Ky. Acts ch. 158, sec. 3, effective July 15, 2010.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2017
  12. bondhu

bondhu 10 pointer

Jul 3, 2015
    Battle Run
    Your just lucky you didnt draw in Bigfoot:)

Feedman likes this.
  13. Natureboy21

Natureboy21 Spike

Nov 24, 2017
    Kentucky
    Yeah well game and fish will piece the whole event together if you kill a bear in self defense...really?
    You don't say...give me a minute to sit down and laugh like hell at that one right there

14. Natureboy21

Natureboy21 Spike

Nov 24, 2017
    Kentucky
    Hey maybe we should all be more like that grizzly man dude...he used non violence like Ghandi..and look how great him and his girlfriend turned out...