A few things I've learned through the years....

Discussion in 'General Hunting' started by reivertom, Mar 24, 2018.

1. reivertom

reivertom 12 pointer

Dec 17, 2007
    Greenup Co.
    I've hunted in the thick stuff in Kentucky since 1973, with shots usually under 150 yards and where most are under 75. These are a few things I've picked up....

1 .If you are a pasty faced white boy like me, cover your face with something dull or it shines like a beacon in the woods....you will get busted....this means even when wearing hunter's orange..

2. A very sharp ugly 4 inch knife is better than a very fancy, but dull. knife of any length.

3. A quick second shot can save your season....That's why I like lever guns, pumps, or autoloaders for thick woods where shots are fleeting.

4. Camo doesn't have to be expensive or trendy to work....I use a mix of Army surplus, commercial, and cheap generic
    woodland....Deer don't care if it's not on TV.

5. Don't go in the woods unless you have checked your rifle's zero, even if it was OK last season.....and even iron sights.

6. Shoot enough to get confident with your rifle...........there's no substitute for practice.

Below are some real life deer hunting tactics I've found that work for me....

1. Act like you are getting ready to eat a sandwich.....it seems that every time I get discouraged and decide to eat something, a buck will walk right where I was looking before I laid my rifle down and started digging in my pack.

2. Lay you rifle down at least two arms length away from you to attract deer.......see former tip.

3. Walk out of the woods shuffling your feet with an unloaded rifle slung over your back and act despondent.......deer love this and will walk right in front of you....sometimes within sight of your truck or camp.

4, Clang your rifle on the side of the tree stand to see how fast that buck is you didn't hear just on the other side of that darn thicket.

5. Go ahead and scratch your nose.......you ain't going to shoot worth a crap if your nose is itching anyway. It's also another good way to initiate the previous scenario.......that darn thicket..............

Hope these help......

2. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

You forgot one (maybe more but I will just list one).....Expect a big buck to show up under your tree stand as soon as you lower your bow or gun to the ground.

elkaholic and DH13 like this.
  3. DH13

DH13 12 pointer

Jan 13, 2012
    Shelby county
    Another one. BE READY when nature calls and you are hovering with pants down and Buck shows up.
    And don't forget to bring TP

elkaholic likes this.
  4. EC

EC 12 pointer

Jul 13, 2003
    Louisville, KY.
    Agree with everything you've observed. I never wore camo in my kid days--just dark clothing--and did just fine. If you look at paintings from the old long hunters back in the late 1770s and early 1800s, some of those guys wore bright reds, yellows, etc and did just fine. Some of them looked like NYC pimps! LOL

Even though camo is really a fashion thing these days, it's not really necessary. And yes, I wear it. However, I've been known to cover up with leaves in depressions and ditches...LOL.

When my dad would take me dove hunting, whenever he lit up his pipe, he would say "watch this make the doves fly over". And most of the time it did. I was about 8 and 9 at the time and thought it had some magical calling trait to it. LOL...as I got older, I realized he was being sarcastic and making one of those "it figures" statements.

5. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012
    I think we have an older thread similar to this one. It was quite humorous if I recall.

6. elkaholic

elkaholic 12 pointer

Jan 12, 2012
    Pendleton County
    If you want to see a giant buck shoot a small one, the big one will be there shortly.

bondhu likes this.
  7. PUBLIC RAT

PUBLIC RAT Fawn

Feb 18, 2014
    My favorite one is,That tom is not on the other side of the hill or he's not around that bend in the road. PUTT,PUTT:eek:

8. reivertom

reivertom 12 pointer

Dec 17, 2007
    Greenup Co.
    I left off one important tip I learned.....If you need to answer the call of nature that requires you to drop your pants, make sure that if you are wearing overall pants, you know where the back flap is at all times.

beauhunter41031 likes this.
  9. forager

forager 8 pointer

Mar 5, 2017
    planet earth
    Wisdom, all great wisdom!

Always have a backup knife with you in case something happens to the other one.

10. 00noturkey

00noturkey 6 pointer

Oct 31, 2011
    high grove, ky
    i used to nap while hunting. seems that attracted deer.

11. beauhunter41031

beauhunter41031 6 pointer

Jan 1, 2018
    Cynthiana, Ky
    If you have a climbing stand that uses pins make sure they're all there before you leave the truck and walk in a mile and a half

Last edited: Mar 31, 2018
    cedar ridge likes this.
  12. Coot_Meurer

Coot_Meurer 10 pointer

Nov 4, 2006
    Not here anymore
    Same bit of wisdom applies when wearing chest waders!

DH13 likes this.
  13. PUBLIC RAT

PUBLIC RAT Fawn

Feb 18, 2014
    One more i thought of was when years ago i told a friend i wanted a Mossberg 835 12 gauge and he said he had one and i could try it. He put a shell in and said just keep your cheek on the stock. Yeah,i think it jarred my teeth loose and hurt my shoulder . It was a 3.5 inch shell. Don't listen to a friend sometimes!

beauhunter41031 likes this.
  14. Hoosier Sasquatch

Hoosier Sasquatch Spike

Sep 11, 2017
    Madison, Indiana
    Good points! Especially the one about deer showing up when you decide to dig in your pack!