A tense standoff..

Discussion in 'General Hunting' started by barney, Dec 20, 2016.

1. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    this past spring. Feist ain't stupid.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Jarhead and Gooch like this.
  2. Gooch

Gooch 8 pointer

Feb 24, 2004
    .lincoln co ky
    id juststand back and bark

3. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    I stood back and laughed. I don't blame him one bit..that thing's teeth were gnashing!:)

4. Dark Cloud

Dark Cloud 8 pointer

Aug 14, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    We use to hunt groundhogs with dogs years ago,the dog would hole one and we would dig it out.I've see them little fiest get a hold of a groundhog and not turn loose.

5. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    I love it! I've dug several out over the years for my dogs.

I dug that one out for Barney last spring. Supporting the dog, makes the dog, IMHO.

6. Iceman35

Iceman35 12 pointer

Oct 27, 2008
    Boone County
    Watched a Jack Russel go into a groundhog hole after one once. Heard a lot of barking and snarling, with the occasional wrestling sound. Before we could get a shovel, the Jack came out covered in dirt, but unhurt and smiling a wagging like it had just had the best time of its life.

barney likes this.
  7. Lady Hunter

Lady Hunter 12 pointer

Jan 12, 2009
    My original German Shepherds LOVED to play with groundhogs.... The male would get right in a one's face while the female snuck around the back. She'd make one quick grab & you'd see a groundhog sailing 7-8 feet straight up and before it could hit the ground, they'd each have hold of an end playing tug of war... No more groundhog! About every year, we'd get a call from my dad: "Danged groundhogs are in my garden again. Can you bring your dogs?????" Those two were a pair to be reckoned with!

barney likes this.
  8. kyarcher

kyarcher Cyber-Hunter

Dec 12, 2001
    Garrard County, Ky
    Great catch! I had a ground pig run up a pant leg years ago. I was walking in tall grass about waist high when all of a sudden he came at me. I figured he probably had a hole nearby and when he heard me in the tall grass he ran toward it and inadvertently found my left leg. Scared me to death!

9. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    Barney would have been in there if he could of squeezed in!:)

10. TedB

TedB 10 pointer

Jan 16, 2005
    Nicholasville
    Had a jagdterrier that was around 15 lbs, she'd jump on a groundhog or coon and get the best of them in a heartbeat and crunch them up. Bites only made her more mad. oddest dog I ever had, all she cared about was killing.

11. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    A jagdterrier is supposedly one of the most courageous terriers there is.

That groundhog would have killed my Yorkie, as he would have had a hold of it and has no fear either.

12. bluegrassbuck

bluegrassbuck Fawn

Dec 30, 2016
    I have a pitt/boxer that loves to play with grounhogs.

barney likes this.