Adults using little kids to hunt during youth season.

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting' started by bluegrasser, Apr 11, 2019.

1. bluegrasser

bluegrasser 6 pointer

Apr 23, 2003
    I’m sick of grown adults using kids to get a jump on everyone else. I have lost most of my hunting spots over the past five years due to family members passing away and land being sold.
    I have one place left that my family still owns that I can hunt. I try to abide by the laws and be a good sportsman. Then I see a pic posted by a neighbor who hunts his property and mine when he can sneak in there. The pic is of him, a twelve gauge shotgun, a big long beard, and a little kid that would have a hard time walking through the woods let alone shooting a shotgun.
    I know for a fact that kid didn’t kill that turkey. So he’s already been back where I hunt and killed at least one bird I know of before I even get to step foot in the woods.
    Makes me sick!

TBo, Jack Ryan, xbokilla and 2 others like this.
  2. dirtstalker

dirtstalker 8 pointer

Nov 20, 2009
    Clay County
    Happens every year..and will continue to happen. It does piss ya off..i know from experience..but..unless you can prove it on em...its all just speculation. Try not to get too upset..and dont let it ruin your season.

TBo likes this.
  3. Bee

Bee 8 pointer

Mar 14, 2005
    This subject is one that is very rarely addressed on hunting forums. Heads are turned away when the laughable photos appear. Apparently accepted practice as I have never heard of a prosecution or fine on it. Many pictures posted on social media speak for themselves in regard to the reality of who shot the turkey. Some would say so what, its my private property and/or my child and my grandchild , and I want them to "enjoy the outdoors". The questionable photos seems to keep on coming with zero negative comments. To me there is fine line between satisfying a parents ego and teaching children that it is OK to fib and break the law ....and in the OP post, trespass.

TBo, Jack Ryan and bluegrasser like this.
  4. hitch

hitch 10 pointer

Jan 16, 2008
    Got a father cited this year during TN’s youth season for posting a video of him shooting the bird with a 5 year old in his lap.

The youth season needs to go away. If you want to get your kids involved take them during regular season. No need for a special season since it’s being abused imo

TBo, Jack Ryan, preachnhunt and 4 others like this.
  5. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    Farm I used to hunt joined a big parcel of land, 5-600 acres. The farm I hunted was about 100 acres. All of both was river bottoms. Dude that owned the adjoining farm had a SIL that was military, and I ran him off multiple times. Always claimed he had talked to the landowner and had permission, which was BS. They even caught him once stealing big rip-rap rock from them, but he disappeared before the law arrived. I took a kid down there on youth hunt and setup before daylight. Hear calling across the bottom, and they kill a jake about an hour after daylight. Had no idea I was there. When they start out, I walk out and confront GI Joe. Sure enough, snuck in again, with another army buddy, no kid. I told him he was illegal as hell, and it got pretty heated. I had a 12 year old with me, so I had to keep it cool. Anyway, after I got to the truck, my little buddy told me he was scared. That did it. I called and reported the SOB. Game warden came and took my statement, and asked me to identify the SOB from 12 pictures. They pressed charges for tesspassing, poaching, etc. Went to court, and some brass from Ft. Campbell came and testified on his behalf. Charges dropped. Typical with game laws. Pissed me off.

TBo, Jack Ryan and bluegrasser like this.
  6. Bubbles

Bubbles 8 pointer

Oct 25, 2016
    Did he ever come back?

7. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    Nope. Message received. Then I lost access two years ago.

8. bluegrasser

bluegrasser 6 pointer

Apr 23, 2003
    I am all for kids hunting and passing tradition down. That’s how I got my start, squirrel hunting with my dad. And without the youth hunters the sport will die.
    But I agree about doing away with youth seasons. IMO the type of people who are interested in helping a kid would take them during the regular season. Even if it hurt their success by doing so. The type that wouldn’t sacrifice their season to take a kid are the very type of people I’m talking about abusing youth season as a way to get out before everyone else.
    This kid just turned four years old and the 12ga in the pics is a lot longer than he is tall.

TBo likes this.
  9. RLWEBB

RLWEBB 12 pointer

Nov 30, 2005
    Staffordsville, KY
    Happens every year. Deer season as well. I love to hunt and fish and enjoy God’s creation and I take great pride in obeying ALL games laws. I simply don’t understand why some men who claim to be sportsmen would cheapen their sport and disrespect the wildlife by breaking game laws. But some people are proud of themselves for doing stuff like this and are teaching their kids to do the same. Pathetic.

10. 300winmag

300winmag 12 pointer

Sep 1, 2009
    Taylorsville
    This very forum has members posting every year, every season about their 4 year olds big kills. I don't believe a word of it, I know how my kids were at that age and they are liars, but what can you do. It's sad that an adult would stoop that low.

TBo, riverboss and bluegrasser like this.
  11. Nock

Nock 12 pointer

Sep 9, 2012
    butler co
    Are you serious???? Doing away with a youth hunting season. One of the dumbest things I’ve read on here.

12. bluegrasser

bluegrasser 6 pointer

Apr 23, 2003
    I can remember squirrel hunting with my dad as a young boy. He gave me a model 37 Winchester 20ga that his dad bought him. I can’t remember the exact age I was when I started hunting with him. But it was quite a bit older than four, and that gun kicked my butt.
    My desire to hunt, make my dad proud, and most of all BE LIKE HIM made it worth fighting through the recoil.
    To those of you who are using your kids, nieces, nephews, etc to kill game for yourself you’re a joke and a fake. And you are teaching these kids to BE LIKE YOU, a phony.

TBo and muddhunter like this.
  13. Mainbeam

Mainbeam 12 pointer

Jul 7, 2012
    Some people are gonna abuse anything. But to state that they need to do away with youth season is the mist ignorant thing iv ever heard. I see it all the time too. But its gonna happen its just the way it is. Those people are gonna do that shady shit in all walks of life. But to punish all these outstanding youth in ky for the ill actions of a few is obsurd. I honestly cant believe i just read that. Youve been on here for years blasting folks for reaping and blasting folks for using decoys. It must be a sad place you live in.

14. trapper perry

trapper perry 12 pointer

May 10, 2009
    I like the youth seasons.Gives the kids a chance before the deer are spooky.Turkeys are really working good that early.My grandson killed his first turkey during a youth hunt few years ago.Just a shame a few butt holes abuse it.The worst thing is their teaching the kids to break the law.

KY Swamp Beagler and Nock like this.
  15. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    I love the youth season. My favorite hunts have been taking kids and getting their first bird, or deer. Very disappointed not to have a youth to take the last two years.