Adults using little kids to hunt during youth season.

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting' started by bluegrasser, Apr 11, 2019.

1. JR PORTER

JR PORTER 8 pointer

May 1, 2014
    KNOTT CO. KY
    I can honestly say that in all the years I've hunted with my kids and grandkids I never once helped them kill any of their deer. The adults should know better than to do something like that, if they can't handle the weapon on their own they should wait until they are older. Personally I think the kids should be at least 7 or 8 before they be allowed to hunt. JMO

2. dirtstalker

dirtstalker 8 pointer

Nov 20, 2009
    Clay County
    Every kid is different. Some are ready early, some later. My boy goes. And he does all the gun work himself. Other than, i do help with the gun safety. He does use a full rest. I do that for better shots.

bluegrasser likes this.
  3. riverboss

riverboss 12 pointer

Jan 26, 2009
    northern ky
    I saw 3 men in camo buy one bag of corn a piece last Sat. I'm sure I know were it was going.
    I think turkeys get killed illegally more than any other game animal in Ky.

They need a age limit on the bottom end they have on at the top end, 8 yrs old to 15 would get my vote.

bluegrasser likes this.
  4. dirthole

dirthole 8 pointer

Feb 8, 2013
    Kentucky
    Well I’ve just sit here and read this whole forum and to the guys that think youth season should be taking away , well y’all are the biggest cry baby’s and disgrace to our hunting community. It’s like this some kids develop before others. I started hunting any killing squirrels when I was 5 years old with my grandpa and my son started when he was 5 which he is now 10 and I would put him against most adults in a shooting contest. Just because someone is young and accomplished something that you didn’t have a chance to do at that age don’t give you a right to say that their parent or who ever done it. My son plays baseball and there’s kids on the team that’s younger than him that can smoke him at playing ball but that’s fine that’s what them kids are good at. All I can say is guys and gals there is going to be things that happen in life that’s out of your control so do the best you can for yourself and don’t worry about others situations all the time.

5. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012
    Just saw this thread and admit haven’t read all 3 pages but yep pathetic and sadly I think it’s even worse during deer season which makes no sense given it’s a long season. To add interest to this story my in-laws live across from some people who’d show off their turkeys after youth weekend each year. I’d always find it interesting that they’d show their 3 big gobblers on Saturday evening of youth opening day and there were only two kids in the family. Nicest guy ever and a good neighbor. I’m hoping a young cousin or someone else hunted with them and they just didn’t poach but can’t help but think the worst.

6. tbrothers

tbrothers 6 pointer

Aug 29, 2011
    Cecilia
    Personally I think if an adult is going to kill during youth weekend they will kill whenever they want to. I’m sure that some have even hunted through this week just because the conditions were good.
    Now as far as taking away youth weekends for kids I think that is one of the dumbest ideas I have ever heard. How many of us have said man I wish the regular season would come in when youth weekend because the conditions were perfect. The birds responded well and everything was just right!!! There is a reason these youth weekends are in place. It is to keep the traditions going and put smiles on kids faces. I don’t know about anyone else but what my son did this past weekend and what my stepson did 6 or 7 years ago was the most fun and special times in my life while hunting. I have been privileged to harvest several birds in my life and a ton of deer and NONE of them are as special to me than the ones that my boys have taken and the times that I got to spend with my Dad in the woods. These are the best stories of my life and something that we cherish everyday!!! No matter what the seasons are set at there is always going to be someone that is going to cheat the system. But don’t ever wish that someone would take something away from a kid when their family does it the right way. One day you might just get what you wish for and none of us have the chance to do what God gave us the right to do!!!!

dirtstalker likes this.
  7. rme hunter

rme hunter 8 pointer

Dec 1, 2006
    Breckinridge County
    Youth season is a wonderful opportunity to get kids started in the outdoors. I am not sure why anyone would want it removed. I also don't understand the thinking that the government should put a restriction on the age that a child can start hunting. All three of my boys started shooting the AR off of the bench when they were 3 years old. That weren't hitting anything but, they were getting the feel of the weapon. By the time there were 4 turning 5 they were shooting the .243. I now have twin year 8 olds that have killed 7 or 8 deer a piece and shoot a 6.5 Creedmoor.

So don't tell me about too young. My youngest is 6 he has killed 3 deer, the first when he was 4 just getting ready to turn 5. I have never held or touched the gun when any of them are shooting. We do use a Caldwell Field Pod to help support the weight but, I know several adults that also use one. My boys have been around the woods since they were born. They are safer with a weapon than most adults that I know.

So if you want your kid to start hunting at 8, 9, 10, or 25 I don't care. But, don't tell me when I can take mine.

tbrothers and dirtstalker like this.
  8. hitch

hitch 10 pointer

Jan 16, 2008
    I guess we are just different. If I want to take my kid I don’t need a special season. I’m not selfish and therefore would take them and rather watch them kill than me any day. No need for their own weekend, as every weekend is there’s in my world.

And yeah you could say my world is pretty awesome and I’m amazingly blessed.

riverboss and bluegrasser like this.
  9. KY Swamp Beagler

KY Swamp Beagler 12 pointer

Feb 20, 2011
    the swamps of western KY
    I’m not sure why in the hell we’d stop youth season. Youth seasons are a perfect opportunity for youths to experience turkey hunting birds that haven’t been pressured and actually act like turkeys in spring. People on this forum gripe yearly about our adult season being too late. Why not allow youths the best opportunity to hunt?

Not to mention the fact that it’s theoretically the safest time for them to be out in the woods. There are far less people hunting during youth season which again helps with safety and puts minimal pressure on birds.

I’ve heard some ridiculous crap on this forum but taking away any youth season is tops.

Ataulbe1, tbrothers, dirthole and 2 others like this.
  10. rlb165

rlb165 10 pointer

Dec 10, 2001
    Well played.
    That took me a few minutes, but I didn’t Google it:cool:

EdLongshanks likes this.
  11. trapper perry

trapper perry 12 pointer

May 10, 2009
    IMG_0899.JPG My grandson killed this bird during youth season a few years back.One of the best days of my life.

T-wil69, cedar creek, hoene and 4 others like this.
  12. dirthole

dirthole 8 pointer

Feb 8, 2013
    Kentucky
    It wouldn’t bother me if they would just have youth season for three weeks instead of adult. Then make adult for one weekend.Its all about the kids in my opinion anyways.Love to see the young ones enjoying the outdoors.

dirtstalker and tbrothers like this.
  13. bluegrasser

bluegrasser 6 pointer

Apr 23, 2003
    I agree about having a minimum age for youth hunts especially turkey. There’s no way a kid that just turned four years old is spring turkey hunting with a shotgun.

14. bluegrasser

bluegrasser 6 pointer

Apr 23, 2003
    Good for you teaching your kids. But there’s a difference in shooting a 243 off a rest in a blind at a deer than running and gunning with a four year old kid for turkeys with a shotgun.
    I can remember waiting for years until I was tall enough to ride certain rides at amusement parks.
    The state tells you at what age a kid is no longer considered a youth. They also tell you at what age they can start attending school, driving a car, voting, etc. So the “don’t tell me what age mine are ready” mentality doesn’t make sense to me. Some kids mature quicker than others, some are just physically bigger at an early age.
    I think sometimes these limits are necessary to protect kids from parents who are just too dumb and don’t have enough sense to realize their kids aren’t ready for certain things in life. Im not talking about you as I dont even know you, nor am I trying to blindly label or judge you.
    I’m just saying hunting covers a broad spectrum of situations and game species. I remember when my son was old enough to sit in a blind with an adult and shoot a deer in a field off of a rest with a 243 rifle. But he wasn’t mature or old enough to follow me and my bird dogs through the woods grouse hunting.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2019
  15. kison

kison BBBC Members

Sep 27, 2002
    Nicholasville
    People who skirt the rules are going do it regardless. Now, doing it on someone else property or where they have been granted access is a bit over the top. The way I look at it is, most would not do it, most do enjoy the time with their kids and having an early start with less hunters in the woods, its a tradition in many families for youth hunts and if your child can aim, shoot and control a firearm safely and effectively, the decision to let them hunt should be left to the parents on when they are ready. Many kids can kill a turkey from a blind with a rest if taught well fairly early in life. It's always the few that spoil the traditions many of us cherish. To many kids it's just like a holiday and for that I am thankful. Raise them to love it.