Adults using little kids to hunt during youth season.

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting' started by bluegrasser, Apr 11, 2019.

1. ky.longbeard

ky.longbeard 10 pointer

May 15, 2010
    My grandson didn't start turkey hunting until he was 10 and he took his first turkey that year and one at 11,but for some reason he doesn't want to go this year.....go figure ! Grandpa had already bought his Youth Sportsmen license,but no way would I use that tag to kill a turkey for him. I'm still trying to figure out why he doesn't want to go. Now we all know that some will take advantage to break the law even it means using their kids and posting pictures all over the place. If you do that and bait for turkey your not a hunter your a killer. I have no problem with youth season to get them interested . I'm afraid that hunting numbers will decrease and I don't want that to happen. Thats what has me puzzled about my grandson ......I saw his face when he killed those first two and I thought he was hooked....I believe the reason is ....none of his friends hunt and are only interested in Xbox and PS4. To be honest it hurt grandpa a little bit when he didn't want to go....hopefully during the regular season he will come around .

Ataulbe1 and carnivore like this.
  2. hoene

hoene 6 pointer

May 8, 2012
    Northern Ky
    My grandson killed his first in youth season this year. A day i'll never forget.

xbokilla likes this.
  3. cedar creek

cedar creek 10 pointer

Sep 7, 2014
    That guy in the army has no idea or does not care about the trouble he could get into thru the UCMJ,

4. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    He didn't care about anything. Thought he was above the law, thought the world owed him because he was serving.... Complete POS.

5. cedar creek

cedar creek 10 pointer

Sep 7, 2014
    I took a kid youth hunting that probably would never had the chance to go or learn on his own, I got him on 3 different jakes and he missed each time , shot over there head was pulling gun up, I had a good time with him and hope to do it again next year, grown men who poach or kill out of season gonna happen, hopefully they get caught and learn the hard way, stopping youth season not a good idea.

carnivore likes this.
  6. Take away youth and you are really hurting our sport. I only will have one youth left after this turkey season. You can look back at my pics over the years on this forum. My oldest is now a marine and get lucky every year or so he gets to make it home to hunt. Why take this away from the young dads and kids. Just foolish

xbokilla, Dark Cloud, Nock and 2 others like this.
  7. Ataulbe1

Ataulbe1 10 pointer

Oct 27, 2017
    Estill County
    I started out hunting deer with a bow, then a musket, then eventually a rifle when I was about 17. I would get to borrow my dad's .30-06 for youth weekend. It was hard but made me want it even more. And can't say I won't do the same with my kids when they're old enough.

But.... For the most part nowadays I say whatever weapon or season or game animal gets kids OUTSIDE and in the woods, go for it!

cedar creek and KY Swamp Beagler like this.
  8. TBo

TBo Fawn

Jan 16, 2018
    West Ky
    You are absolutely correct on that. I know of at least 9 instances this year where the kid “missed” which equals most likely a wounded bird and at best an educated bird/birds. 10 yr old minimum be even better. A 4-5yr old shooting a turkey or high powered rifle is ridiculous. Or better yet, take the youth whenever you go and let them shoot the bird then youth season not needed and you stop the slobs who abuse it at least in this instance. Also, how does a 4-5yr old take the hunter education course requirement?

9. EdLongshanks

EdLongshanks 12 pointer

Nov 16, 2013
    Northern Kentucky
    Wow! Hot take alert. Coming in strooooong. I’m interested in how this turns out.

Nock and Dark Cloud like this.
  10. dirtstalker

dirtstalker 10 pointer

Nov 20, 2009
    Clay County
    Hunter ed not required until 12 i believe. If a kid is ready/able/developed enough to hunt and shoot/kill.something at 5..then they can. I know grown a$$ adults that shouldnt be hunting..got a age restriction in mind for them?

This isnt directed at you personally (unless the shoe fits).But I swear..sometimes i think its jealously that causes these youth season uproar threads...

Nock and Dark Cloud like this.
  11. 120+

120+ 12 pointer

People will find a way to cheat no matter what the season. We had a lot of fun taking kids for years. I don't think the few that misuse youth seasons are any worse than those that tag turkey/deer for others. Many more wives would show up on tags if the youth went away.
    I would have never hunted or fished if it wasn't for having a youth turkey or deer season.....oh wait, there was no such thing when I was a youth. I squirrel and rabbit hunted and deer hunted the same 3 days everyone else had. Oh and I forgot, we didn't even have a turkey season. Maybe I just liked being outdoors.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2019
    Dark Cloud, bondhu and 300winmag like this.
  12. Drahts

Drahts 10 pointer

Apr 7, 2015
    KY
    I can GUARANTEE you more adults Educate birds than Youth! Just hit the local WMA and chase some birds! :)

As for the age req on the lower end I have seen yutes at 5 well capable of getting it done and I've seen 15yr olds that still aren't capable. To me it all comes down to how are they handling the gun and are they afraid of the shot. I've had kids tell their dad when it was time they were scared to shoot. I never like hearing that, that tells me all the homework wasn't done.

carnivore and dirtstalker like this.
  13. 120+

120+ 12 pointer

A 5 year old that's capable of shooting a turkey gun? I'll just have to take your word for it.
    I guess 5 year olds are different today. I've never seen one that could shoot a rifle or shotgun and have the understanding they are killing something.....and I'm not talking about sitting in daddy's lap and just pulling a trigger.

TBo, EdLongshanks and 300winmag like this.
  14. Hunter’79

Hunter’79 Fawn

Oct 29, 2017
    Oakland Ky
    Sounds to me like you can’t kill one so you bash every one who can . I’ve seen your type before. Man deal with it . For the 1 bad adult taking his kid for his own glory there is a 100 adults and kids doing it right. I think you just have the red arse . You spend more time worrying about others than actually just enjoying the outdoors. Sorry man but don’t get on here bashing youth season for us who do it by the law .