Adults using little kids to hunt during youth season.

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting' started by bluegrasser, Apr 11, 2019.

1. dirtstalker

dirtstalker 10 pointer

Nov 20, 2009
    Clay County
    Who says they have to be shooting a 3 or 3 1/2" magnum load? Plenty of turkeys killed with low brass 2 3/4" shells if shot distances are kept close..as they should be anyway.

I can guarantee you that at 5.. my boy understood the shooting/killing of an animal and understood exactly what it meant.

Hunter’79 likes this.
  2. Rover

Rover Fawn

Oct 15, 2010
    Corbin
    Always has been referred to as teach your kids to poach weekend. Back when actually took deer to check station, I remember a 7 yr old and daddy check in a nice 9 pt or something, was really nice deer. Kid wondered around store. Asked what he shot with day replis 7mm mag and I thought yeah you know kid did not kill deer, not sure kid was even with daddy, he certainly could care less. Takes a real piece of crap to teach kids to lie, steal, cheat, and that is what a poacher is a punk thief, and will always have someone using politics to get off the hook. Then like in whitley county our county attorney can't see why anyone should pay what he considers outrages fines for killing a deer or turkey. He is a real piece of it too

TBo likes this.
  3. 1FowlHNTR

1FowlHNTR Fawn

Jul 29, 2017
    Rowan County
    For all of you who say that this is the dumbest idea ever.... You're more ignorant than your comments... I'm willing to bet most of you saying this were born in the 90's AFTER youth seasons came into fruition...Those of us fortunate enough to have been born in the 70's competed for game with full grown men and women during ANY SEASON. We didn't bitch, we didn't complain, we went out and scouted harder. Hid stands better, spent more time learning more than our elders about game movement. I now have young boys myself. I hunt primarily public land, and feel safer(although not much nowadays) When were walking through the woods before light without a bunch of kids jumpy and armed...to the gentleman who was fighting the soldier for trespassing...Sir, there are turds in every aspect of society, not just the military. I'm sorry for what happened to you, but this act would not have gone so well for the individual, nor the chain of command who bailed his ass out... don't judge everyone for the actions of one. Just this year, for the first time since leaving Ky in 1996 to join the Army, I got to spend deer season hunting with my oldest friend. One of those "punk ass civilians" from the adjacent property started spraying everything I had out with bleach. I didn't call the game warden, I didn't pitch a fit complaining on the internet. I caught him doing it, and we had a talk..we agreed that me moving my set, and him leaving it alone would foster a longer life expectancy. Am I condoning violence, NO. I'm talking about standing up for yourself, doing what you perceive is right, and making it happen, not complaining like a bunch of women about it on the internet...

TBo likes this.
  4. 120+

120+ 12 pointer

Yes kindergarteners have usually mastered morality.

5. dirtstalker

dirtstalker 10 pointer

Nov 20, 2009
    Clay County
    Once again, all kids are different. Just because yours or other kids you know are a certain way, does not mean that ALL kids are that way. Kids develop different mindsets at different stages. Lumping all kids into one group stereotype is the same as doing it with adults..its ridiculous.
    And trust me..if an adult is using the youth season to take an extra,illegal animal, then that same adult WILL find a way to do it wether their is a youth season or not..

6. Velvet ears

Velvet ears 6 pointer

Nov 6, 2013
    West KY
    Buddy wanted to bring his kid to hunt during youth weekend. I told him she was old enough to do it on her own and that was my only stipulation to allowing them to hunt. If they can't shoulder the gun, aim, and pull the trigger on their own they should stay home until regular season.

My son didnt get one during youth weekend, but we went again and he got one opening afternoon. I haven't gotten one yet, but I would eat tag soup to let him shoot before me.

I have seen pics on facebook of 4-6 year old siblings doubling up on them. I'm sorry, but I don't buy it.

7. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012
  8. Nock

Nock 12 pointer

Sep 9, 2012
    butler co
    xbokilla and OLE RASPY like this.
  9. Jack Ryan

Jack Ryan Fawn

Apr 6, 2007
    SW Indiana
    I been opposed to youth seasons on any thing ever since they proposed the very first one and for many of the reasons mentioned in this thread. Cheats and liars and all they are doing is raising the next generation of liars and cheater.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2019
    TBo likes this.
  10. Nock

Nock 12 pointer

Sep 9, 2012
    butler co
    So they don’t cheat and lie in regular season?

11. littleboots

littleboots 6 pointer

Sep 24, 2008
    I am for youth season but believe there should be a lower age limit set I know "my child at 3 can shoot" but that doesn't mean all can. I believe there is now a age restriction on youth elk tags

12. Dark Cloud

Dark Cloud 12 pointer

Aug 14, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    Poachers are gonna poach, liars are gonna lie, cheaters are gonna cheat , youth season has worked for a lot of kids. It happens every year, somebody don’t like the rules.Look at it anyway one likes, the rules are there, knocking a bunch of children ,(that does it right)out of two days in the woods, before all the nuts , hit the woods , don’t hurt a thing.I wish they’d give the kids a week.

13. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012
    I would like to just throw this is out there. Understand I’m 100% proYouth. Heck, let’s give ‘em longer than a weekend! It is interesting that you got know it alls that think people are absolute idiots if they even mention starting turkey season earlier but think it’s ok to have youth season earlier. Don’t give me that less participation crap! If it’s too early for adults to hunt them then it’s too early for kids to hunt them. I think youth should start when the regular season starts currently and the regular season should be backed up another week. Ready-set-go!
    ...I’ll go back to my popcorn now.

14. 120+

120+ 12 pointer

I've read this 3 times and I'm still not sure what you said.

hoene likes this.
  15. T-wil69

T-wil69 10 pointer

Jan 16, 2015
    I wish someone could point me in the right direction of how to post a video of my (at the time 5 year old) daughter shooting a 20ga multiple times with no assistance at all, she is useing a rest at the barrel but out of a blind is how we hunt with her anyway, also someone posted about kids missing/wounding birds because they are young, well I don’t know of a adult that hasn’t missed a turkey, all the practice in the world can’t prepare a kid for the real deal

tbrothers, Dark Cloud and dirtstalker like this.