Albino Whitetail

Discussion in 'Fish & Wildlife Questions' started by plowboy, Jan 20, 2018.

1. plowboy

plowboy 10 pointer

I read that shooting an albino white tail was illegal in some states, is this true in Kentucky???
  2. RackedUP

RackedUP 8 pointer

Oct 30, 2013
    It's legal in KY.
  3. web splitter

web splitter 6 pointer

Feb 3, 2015
    depends on when you shoot it :D
    rabbit dawg likes this.
  4. elkaholic

elkaholic 10 pointer

Jan 12, 2012
    Pendleton County
    As long as deer season is in it is legal. Shoot it.
  5. beauhunter41031

beauhunter41031 6 pointer

Jan 1, 2018
    Cynthiana, Ky
    I agree if you don't somebody else will
  6. Dark Cloud

Dark Cloud 10 pointer

Aug 14, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    I know they’re pretty and all,but don’t the white and piebald deer ,have some kind of bad genetic’s or something.Why would they not want them taken out of the herd.
  7. forager

forager 6 pointer

Mar 5, 2017
    planet earth
    From an evolutionary perspective, there are versions of a gene called an allele. Most of the time, these alleles are either dominant or recessive. In the case of a white or piebald deer, it may or may not be an advantage or disadvantage depending on what environment that it resides in.

In a forest with many predators, a deer with a largely white coat would have a disadvantage avoiding predation, and would be eliminated from the population, and the gene for a white coat would not be passed on the subsequent generations. In an area devoid of predators, this coat color would not effect the reproductive fitness of the individual, so the white coat could appear more frequently in the population, depending if the allele was dominant or recessive. Finally, if the white coat was advantageous, this could select for a greater number of white coated deer in the population. Beneficial, harmful and neutral mutations, combined with the immediate environment drive natural selection.

So, what we think as "bad" or "good" doesn't matter, it's about what beneficial alleles can be passed to future generations, and depending on the environment at the time, what is "beneficial" can change.

Here is a great example:

8. wprebeck

wprebeck 10 pointer

Jun 7, 2004
    Louisville, KY.
    Hey, look- a textbook explanation of basic evolution...complete with Darwin's finches.
    forager likes this.
  9. Coot_Meurer

Coot_Meurer 10 pointer

Nov 4, 2006
    Not here anymore
    I grew up in IL near a state park that had "white" white tails. The true albinos were definitely defective, having very poor vision and hearing (although they seemed to still have strong scenting abilities but I can't quantify that). The mostly white ones did not seem to be negatively effected.

When someone shot one of the albinos it caused an uproar and the bunny huggers got a state law passed forbidding the shooting of any "all white deer".

Fortunately, the local biologists and game wardens understood that these deer were not in the best interests if the herd overall. Therefore two bits of gossip went out. First, please shoot these deer if you see any evidence at all that they are NOT "all white" and we will support you as long as the evidence allows (buck rubbing left with a stained forehead - shoot it - as one of my close friends did). Second, don't go around "dragging and bragging" and get the antis all worked up. Keep it low key and don't do their work for them.
  10. DH13

DH13 12 pointer

Jan 13, 2012
    Shelby county
    I seen a bunch at BGAD when I was up there. You cant kill them on post tho.
  11. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    Legal here. I don't know if I'd shoot one, or not. Mixed feelings on this.