Ammo into Canada??

Discussion in 'General Hunting' started by littlebear, Sep 15, 2016.

1. littlebear

littlebear 12 pointer

Aug 21, 2007
    the woods
    Figured someone on here might know the answer. A buddy and I are planning a trip up there. If crossing into Canada by auto what is the amount of ammo you can have on you?? Only flew into Canada before and think regulations would be different.

2. JDMiller

JDMiller 12 pointer

Jun 12, 2005
    " Between the Rivers "
    I checked on firearms once considering a bear hunt. Seemed you had to declare, paperwork and fees for long guns at a border crossing. Then once you got where you were going ... believe you had / supposed to contact a constable / CO of sorts and possibly additional fees & paper work. Which handguns were a complete no no. Only long guns allowed.

Which I'm not certain on ammo restrictions. But could guarantee you that there's some hoops to jump through.

Which only experience I've had was with Ontario and never took firearms. Archery equipment at least then could be carried across the border easily without red tape. But guns were another story.

Doubt much has changed over the years. But other provinces up there may differ a little with rules in place.

3. bird whisperer

bird whisperer 8 pointer

Aug 16, 2012
    Hog Town USA
  4. 1wildcatfan

1wildcatfan 12 pointer

Jan 2, 2009
    raised n Bullitt Co.
    been across the border a dozen times or more with rifles, always flew so the airlines limited the ammo. get on the ca website with the gun paperwork and have it filled out in triplicate but do not sign until you are in front of the Canadian official at the crossing. keep the stamped paperwork with you and that's all you need. don't have to see anyone else after that. also, before you leave the US go to the closest US customs and get Customs form #4457 filled out and stamped. it's proof that you had the firearm prior to entering Ca, could save you some hassle coming back into the states. i was only checked once and needed this form for the US customs. also, keep your Ca hunting license with you until you hit the US. we've had issues with the Ca f&W a few times over this.

5. littlebear

littlebear 12 pointer

Aug 21, 2007
    the woods
    Quebec is where we flew into but this trip we are driving into Ontario.

6. littlebear

littlebear 12 pointer

Aug 21, 2007
    the woods
    Lots of good info there. Thanks for reply

7. JDMiller

JDMiller 12 pointer

Jun 12, 2005
    " Between the Rivers "
    We crossed at International Falls... but as I stated I never pursued taking firearms. Which I'd say what 1wildcatfan posted is spot on. I know hes done a lot of trips and giving sound advice.

I just sort of gave up on the notion as the group I was with were all bowhunters.

I do know crossing the border..... they got some strange restrictions. We were in two separate trucks and the guys in front had enough alcohol & cigarettes to last a month. All we had was groceries. Which going though they checked them.... just motioned them through. Got to us... made us pull over and get rid of a couple sacks of taters. Freakin taters... cant be brought in but apparently a half truck load of beer, whiskey & cartons of smokes...is all OK.

They will get onery about firewood too... but the irony is theres a logging operation right there at the crossing. You will set in line watching these log trucks loaded with timber just run back & forth across the border. But take one stick of firewood through in your personal vehicle.. the border they go beserk..lol.

8. littlebear

littlebear 12 pointer

Aug 21, 2007
    the woods
    I've heard that from a few people about taters piled up where they make you leave them at the border. I was hoping when I posted 1wildcatfan would respond because I knew he traveled up there several times.

9. 1wildcatfan

1wildcatfan 12 pointer

Jan 2, 2009
    raised n Bullitt Co.
  10. 1wildcatfan

1wildcatfan 12 pointer

Jan 2, 2009
    raised n Bullitt Co.

I have to correct myself, I did drive across the border the last time I went. Into BC from Idaho. walked into the border station dragging my locked gun case and the Ca agents about flipped out. told me to get the gun out of there. I put it back in the truck and went back in with my paperwork. I signed, they stamped, we left. never looked at the gun to check serial number. make sure there is no loose ammo and what JD said, handguns will get you in a major poop storm.
    and.......do not have any ammo in the chamber or magazine of a gun touching an automobile. can't lay it on the tail gate, can't lean it against the side of the vehicle. game warden cited one of my hunting partners a few years ago for this while we're having lunch. which this is hypocrisy at it's worse since most of the local resident hunters drive around fields, cut lines and road hunt.

11. Bee

Bee 8 pointer

Mar 14, 2005
    In addition to firearms to be listed on US customs form as you exit US(4457?) i suggest you list your cell phone,computer expensive cameras by make an serial number as you can be required to prove on re-entry that you did not purchase those items while in Canada(and owe duty) ----sounds screwy but had a friend who spent hours proving he had purchased his camera and phone in US... filing as you exit removes the issue. Another obvious issue is leaving Canada with frozen game birds (don't know big game rules). Technically you need to have them tagged by species, hunter with license number, even if frozen. We ate our birds up there.

If you get snotty with the border people expect some long delays. They are in their absolute domain and can make your life miserable if they choose.

12. bird whisperer

bird whisperer 8 pointer

Aug 16, 2012
    Hog Town USA
    We took 4 wheelers last time. We always went accross at Thousand Islands. Its been 8 or 9 years now. We made an appointment with an agent at the airport and took our guns to be inspected and to get a form stating we owned them before we left the U.S.. I remember him saying keep track of this because its good as long as you own the gun. For the life of me I cant find that thing anymore so I will have to do it all over again if I ever get to go back.

13. ptbrauch

ptbrauch 12 pointer

Nov 10, 2004
    J-Town
    For what it's worth, I've traveled into several countries and none of them allow produce to be brought across the border. When I fly into Mexico, they always have a dog that's trained to sniff out produce. There's always 3-4 people who have to throw away their apples and bananas.

14. Iceman35

Iceman35 12 pointer

Oct 27, 2008
    Boone County
    It's not just other countries. Hawaii has a produce check station at all their airports. Pretty much, if it wasn't grown there, it's not getting past this station. I also believe you can't take produce island to island.

15. ptbrauch

ptbrauch 12 pointer

Nov 10, 2004
    J-Town
    I don't remember ever seeing that when flying into CA, but I can remember being asked about it when driving into CA once years ago.