An easy deer to remember

Discussion in 'General Hunting' started by Rob Rock, Feb 26, 2018.

1. Rob Rock

Rob Rock Fawn

Jan 28, 2018
    Cheswinster, Ky.
    An early trailcam shot before youth season. Not many folks would be impressed with this buck.
    knifehandles.JPG

The buck suited a 9 year old boy during the early youth season just fine. Backstraps for the holidays and jerky after Thanksgiving. On Christmas morning, a wide eyed youth retold the story of his first buck to family and friends. Showed off his Christmas present too !
    knives.JPG
    Ready for next year's buck for sure !
    sheathed.JPG
    I ran out of time before Parkerizing both blades, didn't think the dual sheath would be in by Christmas but it was and all worked out. I didn't need to gift wrap it, he recognized the antlers immediately.

2. JR PORTER

JR PORTER 6 pointer

May 1, 2014
    KNOTT CO. KY
    About the size of my first deer about 38 years ago, but I wasn't a young kid at 28 yrs old, still remember it well just as he will, the bigger ones will follow. Still that's the best size for eating. To me that's a great first buck, and I'm sure he'll cherish those knives forever.

3. forager

forager 8 pointer

Mar 5, 2017
    planet earth
    Well crafted! Did you do the work yourself?!

4. Feedman

Feedman Cyber-Hunter

May 28, 2003
    In the basement
    Those look really nice. That seems to be a pretty typical "Grindstone buck"

5. JDMiller

JDMiller 12 pointer

Jun 12, 2005
    " Between the Rivers "
    Heck that would be a booner for grindstone... its actually got horns both sides .. and look alike.

6. JDMiller

JDMiller 12 pointer

Jun 12, 2005
    " Between the Rivers "

Congrats to the young man...and dad for turning a memory into even more.

7. wv67

wv67 6 pointer

Dec 19, 2017
    Southern wva
    Congrats to the young man , and way to go dad you did awesome preserving the memories of his first deer

8. Farrier85

Farrier85 10 pointer

Oct 29, 2015
    Dad of the year. That’s freakin awesome man

shedfinder likes this.
  9. rlb165

rlb165 10 pointer

Dec 10, 2001
    This is the coolest thing I've seen in a while. Congratulations!

10. bondhu

bondhu 10 pointer

Jul 3, 2015
    Battle Run
    Congrats to the young man and way to go dad

11. childersb24

childersb24 6 pointer

Mar 25, 2010
    Congrats to him knives look great

12. Drahts

Drahts 8 pointer

Apr 7, 2015
    KY
    Congrats to him and #1 Dad hat for you, that is awesome! Great job!

13. Rob Rock

Rob Rock Fawn

Jan 28, 2018
    Cheswinster, Ky.
    Forager, thank you for your positive comment !
    I must humbly report that my skills are limited and the Christmas gift was assembled from purchased components (except for the antler of course).

The leather sheath: MARBLES Brown LEATHER Double Belt Sheath Fits 3" & 5.5" Blade Knives New! MR420 $ 7.50
    Typical blades: Lot of 2 Clip point Stainless Steel Knife Making Supplies Blade Blank $17.50
    Careful drilling and epoxy. All supplies available from popular auction sites.

I envy those folks with true knife making skills.

shedfinder and forager like this.
  14. forager

forager 8 pointer

Mar 5, 2017
    planet earth
    How far back in the handle does the tang of the blade go?

Here are a couple of tips for future projects:

As an extra precaution, I score the tang with a cutting wheel on a rotary tool to give it more surface area for the epoxy to stick to. With that same cutting wheel, create a vertical notch about 1/8 to 1/4 inch in depth in the handle where the base of the blade meets the handle. This will help fix the blade in the desired position, and give the knife strength if you are twisting or prying with it. Here is a pic.

tang.jpg

The knife in this picture has held up well over the years and has been used in a number of situations.

Hopefully there will be more antler available for you in the future, and this will create a father/son tradition that can be passed to your grandchildren and theirs as well!

Good luck!

15. Rob Rock

Rob Rock Fawn

Jan 28, 2018
    Cheswinster, Ky.
    Forager, Thanks for the tips ! (I wish I had thought of grinding notches or serrations into the tang). I think in practice, I had to trim the tang on at least one blade simply because the antler was fairly skinny. If the epoxy doesn't hold I'll provide some serrations or notches for a better grip on the steel tang. 20180228_084649[1].jpg I had to trim the tang on at least one blade simply because the antler was fairly skinny. If the epoxy doesn't hold I'll provide some serrations or notches for a better grip on the steel tang. Since the tang is "stepped" I was able to grind an inset into the antler at the end for a bit of torque protection. These small antlers got thin pretty quickly though.

TO ALL: Thanks so much for the congratulations, 'likes' and kind words. What a nice welcome to the forum !
    Thanks again.

forager likes this.