Any froggers on here

Discussion in 'General Hunting' started by Mainbeam, May 13, 2019.

1. bigbonner

bigbonner 10 pointer

Aug 5, 2015
    I always like the three prong gig . Not those cheap store bought one that bend every time you hit a rock.
    I may have to find some time and make me one out of steel rod .

2. Munson

Munson 10 pointer

Dec 24, 2011
    Natural Bridge
    Im in search of galvanized conduit to fix a spare or 2. I got a telescoping green one off Amazon. Caught remember brand name. It's going down tomorrow night boys! Im as excited as can be since we skipped our yearly river trip due to our ring leader being eat up with damn cancer:(

3. dirtstalker

dirtstalker 10 pointer

Nov 20, 2009
    Clay County
    Gotta lowes close by? Under 10 bucks a stick (10ft). 1/2" is plenty big enuf..and has a lil flex to it.

4. Munson

Munson 10 pointer

Dec 24, 2011
    Natural Bridge
    I scavenged a piece that I could straighten out. 3/4" would've been perfect but I got my masters in afro engineering ;):D

dirtstalker likes this.
  5. dirtstalker

dirtstalker 10 pointer

Nov 20, 2009
    Clay County
    Hey...ive gotta masters in that as well!

If you use a trolley motor be careful with that metal pole around that battery. I shorted the battery across terminals with it one night going down the road..bout 3 in the morning. Blew the battery up..blew both terminals off...sounded like a shotgun going off. Scared the crap outta me..thought i was gettin shot at lol

00noturkey and Munson like this.
  6. Munson

Munson 10 pointer

Dec 24, 2011
    Natural Bridge
    Sounds like something I'd do too lol! About all off mine are walkable or shallow enough to pole your way around

7. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    Dad always liked the heavy gigs, fish gigs... They didn't bend. They also resulted in losing several frogs. I swithched the lighter weight gig heads several years ago, and we rarely lose a frog.

8. kyoutdoorsman

kyoutdoorsman 10 pointer

Jan 19, 2016
    Show your frogs tomorrow:eek::rolleyes::eek::p

9. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    Tough night. I do believe somebody had gigged a couple ponds before season. Dropped Dad off at 11:00. We had 24. I hit one more pond to finish our limit. Pretty good average. Had 4-5 smallish but rest were goodun’s.

10. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

Check those ponds for turtles. One nearby was full of frogs a lot of years until the turtles moved in one year and they have not recovered since. Enough frogs they would wake the pond owner up at night when they got to going and his house sets 50 yards from the pond.

11. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    Both ponds had plenty of small frogs. Not quite gigging size. Could see where somebody had walked around them. First two ponds we hit.

12. dirtstalker

dirtstalker 10 pointer

Nov 20, 2009
    Clay County
    My problem anymore is finding good size frogs. Plenty of em..just small ones. Dont know how long it takes a frog to get big..but i have several ponds that ive let go for 3-4 years..and it seems as if the frogs dont get any bigger. And no one else gets to these.

13. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    Hit them in late Summer. Those small frogs will be gigging size by then. They grow quickly. Puzzling why you don't see any in May.

14. dirtstalker

dirtstalker 10 pointer

Nov 20, 2009
    Clay County
    Ill definetly try it. These ponds use to have loads of bigguns..just not anymore. An oldee feller told me once that the pesticide tags for cattle has been the demise of bullfrogs. Never had thought about it..but he may be onto something. There isnt nowhere near the number of frogs in general as they was when i was a younger feller

15. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    I think the fishing birds/predators is the bigger problem. Every pond we gigged last night but one have livestock in them. We are gigging ponds we've been gigging for 50 years, and still plenty of frogs on the ponds with cover. Clean-bank ponds we used to get a lot of frogs from, no longer have frogs.