Any hardcore bow hunters here?

Discussion in 'Archery Equipment' started by ojibwa62, Oct 11, 2018.

1. ojibwa62

ojibwa62 10 pointer

Jul 1, 2018
    Waco
    I mean you pick it up in September and hunt with it till the end of deer season bow hunters! I very seldom if ever pick up a rifle anymore. If I do its to thin a few does quickly. But I really feel like I'm cheating with a rifle anymore.

2. mac0492

mac0492 6 pointer

Oct 15, 2013
    I hope to someday be a dedicated bow hunter but I only get to hunt 2-5 times per year as it is now. Family can’t eat tag soup all year so I’ll keep rifle hunting unless I fill a tag or two before gun season. Then I might think about leaving the others for late season, but that never happens. Don’t usually get in woods but 1 or 2 times before gun season. Someday though......

xbokilla likes this.
  3. ojibwa62

ojibwa62 10 pointer

Jul 1, 2018
    Waco
    I can understand that.. I have been retired a few years and after killing several truck loads of deer I decided I would go bow only..

xbokilla and HappyHunter like this.
  4. Carpdaddy

Carpdaddy 10 pointer

May 12, 2016
    Corbin, Ky
    Guess I’m bad as it gets. I hunt with nothing else all season except Longbows, and I make them myself. Don’t own a hunting rifle.
    Notice I didn’t say I was against whatever method others choose to hunt, just my choice.

5. gettin bit

gettin bit Fawn

Jul 14, 2017
    Woodford Co.
    Been bow only for 16 years. I like to be in the woods as much as possible and archery seasons are loooong. I would like to try and kill a bear with my bow in Kentucky. if anyone else is interested send me a pm.

6. ojibwa62

ojibwa62 10 pointer

Jul 1, 2018
    Waco
    I have a buddy in NJ that hunts exclusively with a long now he made, he manages to kill at least one big buck every year and several doe.

7. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012
    I love bow and crossbow but don’t get to go enough. I love the 3 weeks of bow from early ML to modern Gun. Someday I hope to sit in the woods a lot during that time. Now I like the ML but don’t use other guns much.

mac0492 and ojibwa62 like this.
  8. kc4sox

kc4sox Spike

Nov 16, 2014
    I hunt almost all of the time with my bow. However, I still enjoy breaking out the muzzle loader once in a while. September opener until the season closes its bow in hand for me.

xbokilla and ojibwa62 like this.
  9. DH13

DH13 12 pointer

Jan 13, 2012
    Shelby county
    I used to be in my younger days. Bow hunted every second I could. Even thru Rifle season till Deer season closed. Started Duck hunting in 1974 but in the late 90s really got into the Duck hunting HARD. The passion I had for Bow hunting went right into the Duck hunting. But I still hunted with my Bow. But took Rifle during gun season. Knowing Duck season was right there after gun season. So if I didn't get a good Buck with a Bow or gun. Then couple Does hit the ground with Rifle and then it was Duck hunting EVERYDAY until Duck season closes. But once I got older retired and the rough treatment I did to my body. I hunt when we I want to and feel good enough to go. Bow hunt a bunch of days in October and till gun season opens then it is rifle. But when Duck season opens I will go rain snow sleet or shine even if im sick and have to crawl to a blind. WHICH I HAVE DONE!!!!!! While some focus more on Deer all year food plots and stands. I go out put out some food plots move or put up new stands. But all summer long if not working on the farm. It is Duck blinds Decoys Boat and Dog work getting ready. Duck hunting is a DRUG ADDICTION. Once you do it and enjoy it YOU MUST HAVE IT and have DTs {Duck Tremors} when you cant.

10. vMANG

vMANG Fawn

Dec 20, 2017
    Taylorsville, KY
    I also bowhunt only. Grew up in a archery only county of New York. If I wanted to hunt I used the bow. Its like deer heaven for me here in KY, always see deer and get a couple shot's during the season.

11. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012
    Duck hunters have always told me to never start duck hunting. I know several, they say I’ll get addicted and pay a lot of money. I know several people right now that basically spend their whole Christmas break duck hunting. They hunt Arkansas and Mississippi a lot.

12. DH13

DH13 12 pointer

Jan 13, 2012
    Shelby county
    They are telling you the truth. We start in October in Canada. Didn't get to go this time liked planned. But going to South Dakota first week November. Then once season opens here it will Be Ky Indiana Illinois Arky Mo. and Mississippi before season is over. YES if you don't want to spend money DONT START.

13. ojibwa62

ojibwa62 10 pointer

Jul 1, 2018
    Waco
    I don't know I was told the same about turkey that once you get hooked you will throw rocks at deer hunting, so I took it up, called in a bunch killed a bunch and then quit I just never got the fever and turkey are stupid, just overgrown chickens.. I do like a good dove shoot maybe Duck hunting would be fun, but don't think it would replace my love of deer hunting.. did I also mention I hate cleaning birds.