Any update on expanding crossbow season.

Discussion in 'General Hunting' started by jwalsh, Dec 12, 2017.

1. jwalsh

jwalsh Fawn

Jul 12, 2017
    Summer Shade, KY
    I don't want to stir the pot on compound vs crossbow. I have been a compound bow hunter for over 34 years. This past September I injured my shoulder and tore my labrum and stretched some ligaments. I did get a Dr's note that allowed me to crossbow hunt during the archery season. I know there was some talk about expanding crossbow season to run concurrent with archery does anyone know if that happened?

2. 120+

120+ 12 pointer

No, not yet but it's coming.

3. Panther45

Panther45 Spike

Sep 25, 2013
    I'm not sure why KY doesn't go ahead allow the use of crossbows during the entire archery season. Here in Ohio this is allowed and doesn't cause any problems. IMHO, those that have always bow hunted will continue to do so and not go make a $500+ purchase on a new crossbow to use. Allowing use of crossbows during archery season will lead to more participation, from those that have a disability or are older that had not given thought to hunting before, thus more $$$ for wildlife programs .

JR PORTER, Natureboy21 and hotdog like this.
  4. Feedman

Feedman Cyber-Hunter

May 28, 2003
    In the basement
    I don't have anything to add. Just think it should be the entire archery seasob

5. 1wildcatfan

1wildcatfan 12 pointer

Jan 2, 2009
    raised n Bullitt Co.
    in my state, crossbows are legal the entire archery season. IMO it's ridiculous that crossbows are not allowed the entire archery season in Ky. i'm sure some groups got all up in arms about crossbows being used during "their" season. shouldn't need a medical excuse to use one outside of Xbow season. you get to kill one buck, what's it matter if it's by crossbow, compound, long bow or recurve? plus it extends hunting season for kids that can't shoot a compound. My family has one, fun to shoot but I'd rather hunt with a compound. my sons use it to hunt more.

Natureboy21 and hotdog like this.
  6. wademup

wademup 12 pointer

Feb 5, 2004
    benton, ky, USA.
    I just want youth included at least

TripleGee and Natureboy21 like this.
  7. 120+

120+ 12 pointer

You know, I really don't understand the reasoning for the current partial season. It used to be only a few weeks a year but now they have nearly made it the entire archery season. What's the point of closing it on December 31st instead of January 15th? Or opening it October 1(old archery opener) instead of September? I don't understand the significance. They pretty much have allowed it the entire time anyway. Why just have a few weeks closed here and there?

8. RackedUP

RackedUP 8 pointer

Oct 30, 2013
    To appease the holier than thou bow elitist. They get to hunt the early season feeding pattern and the the first 1-2 weeks of November without having to deal with folks that aren't "real hunters".

JR PORTER and hotdog like this.
  9. 120+

120+ 12 pointer

It certainly looks that way.
    Wonder why they also leave off January? If I wanted to crossbow hunt it would be when I was too cold and bundled up to shoot a bow.

10. JDMiller

JDMiller 12 pointer

Jun 12, 2005
    " Between the Rivers "
    That's how it was structured in the compromise agreement between the bowhunting groups, legislators & KDF&WR's in 2006.

The bowhunting groups wanted portions of the season exclusive to bow only.

Which beyond the youth included.... my thoughts have always been to close the gap between October & November. Other words... crossbow season from October 1 until December 31. That few weeks splitting segments that crossbows weren't allowed was designed that way by the bow hunter groups ....to give exclusive bow only to the cruising and chasing prior to modern gun.

The compromise also included changes to the fall turkey limits ...which are still in place as well. Which if you ever read them ( bag limit) you will understand what I'm talking about. They thought crossbows would not only cause demise of our deer herds.... but the turkey populations as well.

Overall..... crossbow to run concurrent with entire archery wouldn't hurt my feelings at all.

Its overdue.... with plenty of ky data recorded spanning 11 years to support it now.

11. jwalsh

jwalsh Fawn

Jul 12, 2017
    Summer Shade, KY
    I am glad to hear the positive attitude towards the crossbows. Here in NJ the crossbow season runs concurrent with archery season. I really hope KY does that as well in 2018.

12. rlb165

rlb165 8 pointer

Dec 10, 2001
    Shouldn't this discussion be in the Modern Firearms Forum?

(Just kiddin').:D:D:D:D:D

RackedUP likes this.
  13. 1wildcatfan

1wildcatfan 12 pointer

Jan 2, 2009
    raised n Bullitt Co.
    BOOM! Thought it was crossgun a few years back. :)

14. carnivore

carnivore 12 pointer

Nov 17, 2007
    California ky
    I think most of these folks have realized their fears were unwarranted.

turk2di likes this.
  15. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012
    This is another one of those reoccurring posts. I'll say the same as I have previous years, I'm willing to bet you'll see no changes for next season. I'd like to be wrong about this one...