Any update on expanding crossbow season.

Discussion in 'General Hunting' started by jwalsh, Dec 12, 2017.

1. bondhu

bondhu 10 pointer

Jul 3, 2015
    Battle Run
    What about picking up the fight for "center fires at night":p

2. Varmint shooter

Varmint shooter Fawn

Nov 27, 2017
    Northern Kentucky
    I bow hunted for many years till my profession killed my shoulders. Now have crossbow permit, but always said bow and crossbow should run together it's all archery equipment. The holler than thou bow hunters and I know a bunch of them, still think a crossbow is easy, like using a rifle aim and squeeze trigger, and has more range than a compound bow. Yet none of them will meet at an archery range to prove different, Oh well some day the old boys in Frankfort may open their eyes and see it will get more people hunting and create more revenue for the fish and game department.

3. hossamassey

hossamassey Spike

Jan 18, 2006
    They should coincide with one another. I think this would get more opportunities for people to hunt.

4. 120+

120+ 12 pointer

It's a double edged sword. The good: It can put more hunters in the field. The bad: It can put more hunters in the field.

beauhunter41031 likes this.
  5. Natureboy21

Natureboy21 Spike

Nov 24, 2017
    Kentucky
    Real hunters? ..crossbow hunters are not real hunters..wow never knew that..now I know not to call myself a bowhunter. Lmao...sir this post was all in good humor

6. remman2

remman2 6 pointer

Oct 11, 2014
    I think it should be included in the regular archery season. I have both but the argument that shooting a crossbow is just as challenging as shooting a compound is BS. There is a huge advantage to not having to draw and hold at full draw.

7. 120+

120+ 12 pointer

Common sense will get you nowhere on this forum.

8. wademup

wademup 12 pointer

Feb 5, 2004
    benton, ky, USA.
    Exactly and that is where we hunters are our most hypocritical. We say we need to recruit new hunters to ensure the future of our sport, then we say just don' recruit them close to me

9. wademup

wademup 12 pointer

Feb 5, 2004
    benton, ky, USA.
    I was a bowhunter for 35 years before going to the xbow after shoulder surgeries. The truth is offhand I can't shoot my xbow any better than my Matthews, but with a rest I'm far better. There are ways I can set up with an xbow that would be very difficult with a bow. I haven' killed a deer yet that the xbow was a great advantage but only because it hasn't presented itself. There is no doubt the draw argument is valid , I just don' think it should matter in the subject of expansion. To deny it is as foolish as those who try to paint a xbow as a gun.

10. 120+

120+ 12 pointer

I've never really cared one way or the other on the crossbow expansion. But the argument of "they are the same" is nothing but self serving.

Standing and off hand, I'd say I could hold my bow steadier than I could a crossbow.

11. Buford

Buford 12 pointer

Mar 15, 2006
    Zone 1 bachelor heaven
    I don't care. The only measurable effect would be shifting the buck kill a little earlier in the season by more going out in Sempt. But if we're gonna do it, Can I have an airbow please?
    If I thought it would make a measurable contribution to killing does, I'd sign the petition. It wont. Fewer hunters, everybody buck hunting then quitting...
    When I'm gone and Kentucky becomes Alabama, will one of you young fellars please say, Yup, Buford told us to kill more does!

12. cburton

cburton 6 pointer

Aug 14, 2014
    Well just my .02 cents which aint worth half that. I own both. I have killed with both. To not recognize that a crossbow does have an advantage over a bow is just foolish fodder. But to me the question is this. I have a 71 yr old father who still kills (2 this yr) with his mathews but is realizing for him to enjoy the great outdoors that is soon to end. I have a college age son who as a high schooler hunted each year. Now with his busy schedule only on occasion has the time. We own our farm where he would not have to buy license or tags but finds it very difficult to plan a trip except on spur of the moments. He no longer really devotes the time to a compound to be adequate enough and he knows that. If the crossbow was a valid option more then he could possibly go more. Maybe for selfish reasons but i do not think that the advantages of a crossbow -vs- compound are enough to keep his opportunities limited as they are currently. Again i respect any counter arguments and yes if he really was a die hard i know i know. But at 21 or 22 i would prefer him choosing an afternoon in september woods with a crossbow than other options. just me though

Panther45 and JDMiller like this.
  13. JDMiller

JDMiller 12 pointer

Jun 12, 2005
    " Between the Rivers "
    Not off base at all....and not selfish reasons from my perspective.

We argued merits of crossbow versus compound 11 years ago.... beat that horse to death..literally.

It is what it is.... if you don't like'em... don't use'em... its simple as that.

Which honestly... most aren't going divert from the equipment they use now. But as in your case or better said your sons..... maybe it will give them a better option and put them back in the woods when they have an opportunity.

14. RackedUP

RackedUP 8 pointer

Oct 30, 2013
    Crossbows are an advantage over compound bows imo but not by a wide margin. My question is this, as a whole our state still has a growing deer population so what would it hurt besides some guys' feelings? It takes a lot less time to be accuarate with an xbow than a compound but make no mistake they're no where near rifle like as some guys would like for everyone to believe.

1wildcatfan likes this.