Anybody hunt hogs?

Discussion in 'General Hunting' started by Littlephil, Jun 17, 2016.

1. Littlephil

Littlephil Spike

May 15, 2016
    Coshocton, Ohio
    Howdy all, I've been interested in hunting feral hogs for a while and have read that Kentucky has a pretty sizable population. I'm just wondering if anyone on here hunts them or sees any regularly. I realize that the kdnr doesn't want to encourage people to hunt em, but I'm sure there are those that do. My buddy and I are always looking for a "cheap" adventure, especially when it comes to hunting, and I figure this is probably about as cheap as it gets. :D
    Any input is appreciated, thanks all!

2. Carpdaddy

Carpdaddy 10 pointer

May 12, 2016
    Corbin, Ky
    Don't know what area you heard has hogs here in Ky but I know of little to none. The only place I have found any was in McCreary county at a place called Peters Mnt. Went over there a few times after our deer season and hunted them, found plenty of sign but never saw a pig. I would love to hunt them myself so I'll be watching this to see if I'm missing anything.

MudSeason likes this.
  3. Capttrae

Capttrae 12 pointer

Apr 2, 2012
    We have a pile of them in north Christian and Hopkins county. I've killed a couple and had a pile of them on camera. Don't really go out of my way to hunt them very often unless I'm having serious withdrawals which at this point of the year I am. Couple of guys I know traps them and does pretty good on them, another guy I know purposely hunts them and last I heard had killed around 100 or so in the past few years. But they all need killin

MudSeason likes this.
  4. Littlephil

Littlephil Spike

May 15, 2016
    Coshocton, Ohio
    http://www.huntwildpig.com/state-specifics/kentucky/

I hope the link works, but it says there's a huntable population in the Daniel Boone national forest, and good populations near the Tennessee border.
    I've always wanted to hunt hogs anyway, plus with our deer numbers being so low these past few years, I'd like to get out and hunt something. ;)
    I'd like to come down and deer hunt this fall too, plus that would let me visit to see how I like it down yonder. (I live in Ohio but I'm planning on moving pout of state sometime.)
    I figure if we could get down there and hunt hogs while it's still fairly warm (aka miserable hunting weather) the pigs shouldn't travel too far from water. But if I get to deer hunt, I could maybe find some public ground with a good hog population too.

I'm still hoping someone has more experience with hogs, but I appreciate all the input so far. Thanks y'all!

5. timer

timer 8 pointer

Feb 20, 2013
    La Grange
    I know there are some wild hogs in Kentucky, I've actually seen two, but the numbers here do not seem to be growing like they have in states south of here. It is strange to me that the numbers haven't grown. In the area where I saw the two hogs, I've never seen or even heard of anyone taking a large hog. And I've never seen the destruction that I caused by the hogs that I've seen in other areas.

There is a sizeable population of hogs in Tennessee just south of Kentucky, so it stands to reason that there would be some in the south central portion of the state.

6. Littlephil

Littlephil Spike

May 15, 2016
    Coshocton, Ohio
    Yeah, I've always heard that Tennessee has a pretty big population, so it makes sense to me that there should be plenty just north of the border. I may just try the national forest if we get to go, unless someone else comes along with some suggestions.
    It is kinda strange that they don't really plague Kentucky the way that other states claim, it seems to me that there's plenty of habitat to support them.

7. ptbrauch

ptbrauch 12 pointer

Nov 10, 2004
    J-Town
    I'm sure there's some out there, but you hardly ever see or hear of anyone killing any in Ky. The ones you hear about are from someone who knows someone. And there's probably more pics of house cats, I mean wild black panthers, posted on here than wild hogs in Ky.

8. Carpdaddy

Carpdaddy 10 pointer

May 12, 2016
    Corbin, Ky
    Spending too many years in a tree stand without seeing a hog has me a little skeptical, the only sign I have seen was in the Big South Fork area near the Tn border (Peters Mnt). If I do discover a place with a huntable population I will likely grab my stickbow and go after them also.
    [​IMG]

9. Capttrae

Capttrae 12 pointer

Apr 2, 2012
  10. Capttrae

Capttrae 12 pointer

Apr 2, 2012
    Just a few that we've killed in Christian and Hopkins county

11. Capttrae

Capttrae 12 pointer

Apr 2, 2012
  12. Carpdaddy

Carpdaddy 10 pointer

May 12, 2016
    Corbin, Ky
    Okay so now I want to move to your neck of the woods Capttrea! I sure don't see any sign around Southeastern Ky.

13. Littlephil

Littlephil Spike

May 15, 2016
    Coshocton, Ohio
    Dog gone capttrae, looks like y'all sure know how to pile em up! Did those come off public or private land?

Last edited: Jun 20, 2016
  14. Capttrae

Capttrae 12 pointer

Apr 2, 2012
    If you don't have them you don't want them!!! They are a nusiance to have. They untold amounts of crop damage, they eat more fawns than coyotes, dill completely destroy a good plot in a night and tear up feeders, as in knock them down and just smash them trying to get to the corn. Only good thing about them is they give you something to hunt year round and they are good to eat

15. Capttrae

Capttrae 12 pointer

Apr 2, 2012
    They came off private ground