Anyone been out yet?

Discussion in 'Bowfishing' started by hunt-4-life21, Apr 22, 2014.

1. hunt-4-life21

hunt-4-life21 12 pointer

Sep 26, 2007
    Butler Co.
    I've had my bow at the shop for a couple weeks getting restrung and getting the itch. Anyone been out yet? I've done heard people below the dams at Barkley and KY shooting silvers and some spoonbills. Thought I would try to get the boat ready this weekend. I'm not a crappie fisherman, that's for sure. Went twice in two weeks and caught 4 bass. And I wasn't even trying to catch bass!

2. breckhunter

breckhunter 6 pointer

Aug 31, 2011
    Breckinridge
    Been able to get out a couple nights in the last month. Found this one, my biggest "non-Asian" fish so far.[​IMG]

3. nock

nock 12 pointer

Sep 9, 2012
    butler co
    That's a good one.

4. CRooks

CRooks Fawn

Nov 21, 2013
    Frankfort, KY
    I just recently pulled my boat from the backyard, so needless to say, I'm not ready yet but I do have the itch. Had the bow out last night actually lightening up the draw weight a tad and checking my reel/line. I'm wanting to go to Illinois for some jumping silver carp runs this year.

5. breckhunter

breckhunter 6 pointer

Aug 31, 2011
    Breckinridge
    No need to drive that far, silvers everywhere down this way! Haha

6. BR1

BR1 8 pointer

Apr 8, 2012
    I was down below Barkley Dam yesterday 4/22 and the gar were surfacing. There were two guys shooting from the bank. They shot several and got a few big head or silvers, I couldn't tell from the distance. All this was during day light!

7. hunt-4-life21

hunt-4-life21 12 pointer

Sep 26, 2007
    Butler Co.
    I've shot down there in the daylight before and smoked them both times. One day the silvers were up and we never moved more than 100 yds. The next weekend I went during the day and didn't shoot much at the dam so went down river and shot quiet a few down there.

8. mchunter

mchunter 8 pointer

Been on the lake three times so far. First two trips weren't too hot but last Friday made up for it. Got into some pretty nice buffs and several commons and gar. Didn't have my scales with me but we guessing the bigger ones were in the fortys. Counting the gar and small commons you can't see in the pic we shot around sixty fish in about four hours. Probably gonna hit ky or Barkley dam tomorrow night and try to find some spoonies. I ate all mine from last year and I've been craving some.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. hunt-4-life21

hunt-4-life21 12 pointer

Sep 26, 2007
    Butler Co.
    People on BFC have already been talking about shooting silvers and some big heads with some spooners thrown around. I think it's getting to the point where there are so many silvers in that area that they are up anytime. I love shooting below the dams but that's quiet a way for us. Bout an hour and a half. It's fun though!

10. nock

nock 12 pointer

Sep 9, 2012
    butler co
    Wow that's a great night. Y'all smacked them hard. Do you use any of them to make trapping bait?

11. mchunter

mchunter 8 pointer

We didn't save any of these for bait but we usually keep a few every year to grind up for coon bait.

12. deadaim

deadaim 12 pointer

Dec 12, 2001
    Booger Hollar
    What do you do with all of them ?

13. mchunter

mchunter 8 pointer

The same night we shot these, we heard there were a lot of spoonbills up below Barkley. I only live about 20 min from the dams and I cross them every day going to and from work. I've never shot from the bank at the dams but I know a lot of people that shoot tons of fish from the bank through the summer. I bought a bow light this year so I'm gonna take my nephew down there some this year. By the way, thanks for reviving this forum. It's been dead this year so far.

14. mchunter

mchunter 8 pointer

We don't dump them at the boat ramp like some of the jack legs around here that's for sure. I was talking to the local c o the other day and he said they were gonna make an example out of the first ones the caught. Some of the fish we keep for trapping bait, spoonbill and cats we eat, but most go back into the water or are dumped away from public areas.

15. hunt-4-life21

hunt-4-life21 12 pointer

Sep 26, 2007
    Butler Co.
    I'll either cut their air pocket and sink them or take them home and use them as coyote bait. These things are taking over.