Anyone camp out of a pack?

Discussion in 'Camping' started by KYBOY, Dec 8, 2014.

1. KYBOY

KYBOY 12 pointer

Apr 21, 2005
    Floyd,co..Kentucky
    I mean does anyone camp out of a backpack, you know pack in and live off what you carry for the trip?

2. just me

just me 12 pointer

Sep 26, 2013
    That mammoth cave thread dude would be the man to ask.

3. Brutus Hedgeapple

Brutus Hedgeapple 10 pointer

Jul 30, 2002
    South Central Ky.
    I've done it a few times. If you're lookin for any kind of advice, I'd be terrible at it unless you wanna know how to pack everything you don't need. That I'm good at.

4. Xi Bowhunter

Xi Bowhunter 12 pointer

Nov 17, 2002
    Goetz Farm
  5. Feedman

Feedman Cyber-Hunter

May 28, 2003
    In the basement
    We do it a few times each year

6. KYBOY

KYBOY 12 pointer

Apr 21, 2005
    Floyd,co..Kentucky
    We like it too, just never thought to ask you guys before..Nothing like cooking in the woods is there?

7. Xi Bowhunter

Xi Bowhunter 12 pointer

Nov 17, 2002
    Goetz Farm
    Nope, nothing like it. I just enjoy being out of cellphone service.:)

8. corndogggy

corndogggy 12 pointer

Jul 20, 2005
    I do every now and then for overnight trips. I get bored after that.

9. randy grider

randy grider 12 pointer

Mar 15, 2006
    Burgin, KY
    Ive done it only twice, in the Rocky Mountains. you will learn to shave ounces off your gear, especially in high altitude rough hiking like elk hunting at 10,500 feet above sea level. You learn that with camp comfort comes hiking discomfort, as in the luxuries will weigh you down on the trail. Good gear is expensive. I have a 2 lb tent, and a 2 lb 15 degree sleeping bag, they are expensive, but worth it !

10. scoffman

scoffman Spike

Oct 27, 2011
    I like to take a week off and do a 30-40 mile backpacking trip. Everything I need for the week is carried in my pack or on my personage. It's nice and relaxing. I like to section hike parts of the Sheltowee Trace Trail.

11. Rescue9

Rescue9 Fawn

Dec 30, 2014
    I like to get out as much as I can. Hit RMNP at least once a year, and numerous places around here: savage gulf, lbl, red river, mammoth, dbnf, etc. Also test backpacking gear for backpackgeartest.org. always looking for more people to go with as well.

Anyway, what kind of questions do u have?

12. ukyager

ukyager 8 pointer

Jan 21, 2005
    KENTUCKY
    Nice to see there are some backpackers among us!

13. web splitter

web splitter 6 pointer

Feb 3, 2015
    i try to go on a decent 3-5 day hike at least once a year. we used to do it more and put down more miles. usually do a guys winter trip every Jan/Feb.

14. randy grider

randy grider 12 pointer

Mar 15, 2006
    Burgin, KY
    best places to spend money are, shoes,socks, sleeping bag, tent, backpack, and i think in that order. You can spend thousand s on equipment, but dont have to. The high dollar stuff shaves ounces, which can quickly turn in to pounds, but there is lots of dirt cheap, and lightweight equipment and DIY stuff. Cook kit comes to mind. A cat can stove, and pot with lid is all you really need, and much lighter than commercially made stoves. You tube research ultra light backpacking, hours worth of fun videos and great ideas. Preparing for the trip is at least half the fun.

15. EC

EC 12 pointer

Jul 13, 2003
    Louisville, KY.
    Used to kinda do this as a kid...but it was out of a canoe. Would take a can or two of beans. Maybe one steak and rely on fishing and/or squirrel hunting for the rest. Usually take a three or four day trip down the Elkhorn creek. We'd sometimes take a tent, but that wasn't too "Daniel Boone" if we did.