Anyone else had the flu this year?

Discussion in 'Community Forum' started by Lady Hunter, Jan 11, 2018 at 11:41 AM.

1. Lady Hunter

Lady Hunter 12 pointer

Jan 12, 2009
    Just got back from the doc & lucky me, that 10 minute or whatever test was showing positive for flu in less than 5!

Started getting sick Monday night so I'm past the optimal window for Tamiflu but doc said the CDC just in the past few days recommended it out to 5 days to hopefully stave off some of the complications they're seeing this year. So $110 dollars and some odd cents later, I'm drugged up & heading for the couch...

This is nasty stuff folks. Tuesday was rough. Wednesday was he** and today isn't any better.

2. JDMiller

JDMiller 12 pointer

Jun 12, 2005
    " Between the Rivers "
    I started feeling bad & getting a lot of congestion the day before Christmas Eve.... thinking I was taking a terrible head cold.

I made it through all our Christmas Eve & Christmas Day family obligations & dinners.....but I was just plum wore out. Then that night I started running fever , chills & body aches. Next morning my wife said you might want to see a doctor as she didn't think this was just a cold. So...that Tuesday ..I went.

They tested me and said I came back positive for type A influenza. Doctor gave me a script for 5 days of Tamiflu and said continue taking motrin / tylenol for fever & mucinex for the congestion. He said with the Tamiflu ...I should start feeling better in 2-3 days.

Which he was right... my fever broke that Wednesday night and by Friday ...I was feeling quite a bit better.... especially with the snotting, sneezing & coughing I had been doing.

But honestly ... one side effect of this flu was fatigue & lack of energy. That part lasted me a few more days.... which heck the simplest task would absolutely wear me out.

The latter kicked my but as bad as the congestion.... so even when start feeling better it will still give you a reminder for a few more days.

Hope you get feeling better.

Edit to add.... I had also took a flu shot.
    Which Ive took one every year for the last 15-20 years... as my wife is a RN at our health department. This was only the second time I got the flu since I've been taking the flu shot all these years. But my understanding is they were not effective on this strain. However my doctor said though since I had taken the shot...I probably have some immunities built up to where I may get over it a little quicker or possibly lessen effects.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2018 at 12:39 PM
  3. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012
    Get well! Rest is about all you can do. I had a shot but know a few others that had a shot and still got the flu. There are several schools systems shut down now because of the flu.

4. Wildcat

Wildcat 12 pointer

Jan 7, 2002
    Ledbetter, Ky.
    So what happened to the rest of the family/friends???

5. Iceman35

Iceman35 12 pointer

Oct 27, 2008
    Boone County
    I'm sure my number is coming up, but I've never had a flu shot and not gotten the flu in well over a decade.

SmokeShow likes this.
  6. Lady Hunter

Lady Hunter 12 pointer

Jan 12, 2009
    First time it's gotten me in about 10 years. Both kids were still at home then and we ALL got it that year. And we'd all gotten shots.

7. beauhunter41031

beauhunter41031 Spike

Jan 1, 2018
    Cynthiana, Ky
    A friend of mine that are older in age went about two weeks ago to get their flu shot 36 hours later came down with the worst flu they said they'd had in decades I guess the live bacteria in the shot kicked things in but they will never get another one again

8. JDMiller

JDMiller 12 pointer

Jun 12, 2005
    " Between the Rivers "
    I honestly was worried that all the family I was around Christmas eve & Christmas day would take it. But which a few weeks have went by since and not a single person I was with has had the flu... not even my wife.

Which the only way I figure they didn't....was I didn't start running a temp till Christmas night late... and we were all done with everybody during the day. I was snotty and full of congestion but apparently I wasn't contagious at that time. Which my worst days of feeling terrible was Tuesday & Wednesday after Christmas. Up until the fever & chills set in..I sincerely thought I just had a really bad head cold coming on.

Other than that....I don't have a clue why others didn't come down with it.

9. Wildcat

Wildcat 12 pointer

Jan 7, 2002
    Ledbetter, Ky.
    You got lucky!!! My nephews wife almost always has either a very bad cold or the flu when they come up here for Christmas. She was so bad Christmas 2016 that I would not take Mom over there and I didn't go myself but nobody else says they caught anything.

10. mudhole crossing

mudhole crossing 10 pointer

Aug 20, 2007
    East ky
  11. carnivore

carnivore 12 pointer

Nov 17, 2007
    California ky
    Everyone at my house (but me) got it and nearly everyone in my office. The only time i have ever caught the flu as an adult was the year i got a flu shot. I am prone to nasty sinus infections though.

12. WaterDog88

WaterDog88 10 pointer

Jul 28, 2008
    Kentucky
    Wife and I were both sick before Christmas. Started feeling bad while visiting her family in New York state. Drove 13 hours home with body aches, chills, fever, and a nasty cough. I was so miserable I didn't even care how long the drive was. Crashed for 2 solid days when we got home.

13. WildmanWilson

WildmanWilson 12 pointer

Dec 26, 2004
    Western Ky.
    It’s impossible to get the flu from getting the shot. The shot doesn’t protect from every strain of flu though so you can still it. I get the shot sometimes but haven’t in a few years. I got the flu last year from the guy I work next too. Otherwise I almost never get it. Only a few times I can remember. I’m a germaphobe too. Don’t touch door handles or rails with my hand but try and use the back of my hand. Wash often too. May not stop everything but I’m almost never sick.

14. davers

davers 10 pointer

Jul 14, 2014
    Kentucky
    I haven't had as much as a cold or the flu in 15 years. Lot of it going around my area though.

15. chadwimc

chadwimc 10 pointer

Oct 29, 2004
    flu 1.jpg

Save your typing fingers. It doesn't matter what proof you can produce.

"Ah gots the floo shot, ah almost died. Never agin!!!"
    Or... "When I was in the Army/Navy/Marines... "They" gave the guy in the front of the line a flu shot. He fell over dead right there. The rest of us didn't have to take a flu shot. I never had one since..."
    Or the best "Its a guvmint plot to control the poplation..."