Anyone else had the flu this year?

Discussion in 'Community Forum' started by Lady Hunter, Jan 11, 2018.

1. katlynn

katlynn 6 pointer

Sep 20, 2010
    Central Kentucky

I'm so confused. I know that everything you read on the internet is true but I have read that I should always get the shot AND that I should never get the shot. I just don't know what to do now!

2. riverboss

riverboss 12 pointer

Jan 26, 2009
    northern ky
    I've had one flu shot and that was the last time I got the flu! Won't get another I spend so much time out in the cold I have a high tolerance I guess.
    I've spent the last 3 months in a rest home every night with my wife around those sick people, nothing not even a head cold.

3. zone1

zone1 6 pointer

Jan 3, 2011
    Next time you see your Doctor ask for a Z-Pack. If you start to feel like you are coming down with something take the Z-Pack. It will either prevent it or lessen it.

4. Teach Deer

Teach Deer 6 pointer

Aug 4, 2013
    Georgetown
    Down with the flu right now...

My wife tested positive for Type B flu on Tuesday (Jan 9)...she is now on the mend, just weak from the ordeal...

Wednesday my sinuses kicked in (itchy nose, sneezing)...
    Thursday the sinus continued but no other complications until PM, developed a post-nasal drip and began coughing (it is a wicked cough)...
    Friday, I picked up some cough drops to help and locked myself in my classroom (NO SCHOOL NTI day--teachers in our county must report--I had planned to be absent had school been in session), the sinus and coughing continued, generally just not interested in doing much...Friday PM my appetite started to decline and fever set in (I really hate that part)--rough night...thank God for NyQuil
    Saturday (today)--no appetite this morning (one of the reasons you get weak--you must eat if possible to keep up your strength--easier said than done though), coffee, hot chocolate and broth are all good...the hot drinks seem to help the coughing some...drinking fine...

I do not really feel all that bad (unless I am coughing or feverish) though...

5. EC

EC 12 pointer

Jul 13, 2003
    Louisville, KY.
    I wouldn't take any shot unless they gave you the 'drug insert' outlining what's in the stuff they're injecting you in you, how they preserve it and the risks.

A lot of these vaccines are preserved with Mercury. So apparently don't eat the fish out of the river because it has Mercury, but it's just wonderful and great to have it directly injected into your blood stream. Go figure.

KYote-Krusher likes this.
  6. katlynn

katlynn 6 pointer

Sep 20, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    Antibiotics do absolutely nothing for a virus. Taking them when you think you're coming down with something only helps create super bugs. Please don't do this.

7. baknblack

baknblack 8 pointer

Jan 30, 2014
    Mt Washington
    I thought z-paks were steroids.

8. katlynn

katlynn 6 pointer

Sep 20, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    I double checked, it is antibiotics.

From WebMD:

Drugs & Medications
    Zithromax
    GENERIC NAME(S): Azithromycin

Read Reviews (140)Get Prices
    UsesForums
    Azithromycin is used to treat a wide variety of bacterial infections. It is a macrolide-type antibiotic. It works by stopping the growth of bacteria.

This medication will not work for viral infections (such as common cold, flu). Unnecessary use or misuse of any antibiotic can lead to its decreased effectiveness.

How to use Zithromax
    Read the Patient Information Leaflet if available from your pharmacist before you start taking azithromycin and each time you get a refill. If you have any questions, ask your doctor or pharmacist.

drakeshooter likes this.
  9. KY Swamp Beagler

KY Swamp Beagler 12 pointer

Feb 20, 2011
    the swamps of Western KY
    I get a flu shot every year at work for free. I’ve never had an complications from it other than a sore arm.

We put a tremendous amount of harmful crap in our bodies over the course of our lifetime. There’s a laundry list of things I’m more worried about than a flu shot.

katlynn likes this.
  10. JDMiller

JDMiller 12 pointer

Jun 12, 2005
    " Between the Rivers "
    Same here.... had the flu shot every year for close to 20 years now. Also have had the pneumonia shot and as soon as I’m old enough to get the shingles vaccine... I’ll get it.

Which as I stated in an earlier post .. my wife is an RN with our local health department who no telling how many flu shots she’s gave in her career.

Bottom line .. the side effect of a flu shot is a sore arm ... and that’s not a given. A lot of that depends on the vaccine on a given year or the nurse giving the injection. Which I’ve always bragged on my wife .. she gives a good shot and will have you stuck and injected before you even know it. She has a lot of parents even request her specifically for their kids immunizations.

If you get sick after taking a flu shot ... you were exposed / sick when you took it. Regardless of the shot.. you were going to be sick anyway.

Flu vaccines that are injected by needle do not contain a live virus. But the nasal -inhaled vaccines do contain a weakened live virus. Which to my understanding it has to be live on the inhailed to work because of the cooler temps of the nasal cavity versus a direct injection in the body.

So if anyone is concerned about a live virus vaccine... get an injection.

Which flu vaccines take awhile to be produced... literally months combined with the time to have enough to provide literally million of doses. So they are alway based on last years flu strain. So in turn... they can miss the strain of flu that materializes on that year... which flu viruses mutate and is a guessing game every year. Which in most cases they do a good job hitting the correct strain. But this year they did not.

However if you take the flu shot every year... you build up immunities. So chances are even if they miss it vaccine wise... if you get an injection and get the flu.. you may have a lighter case with lessened symptoms and get over it quicker.

Ultimately ... most don’t take the flu very seriously but it kills a lot of people every year.

11. KY Swamp Beagler

KY Swamp Beagler 12 pointer

Feb 20, 2011
    the swamps of Western KY
    JD pretty much covered it. One thing I would add is that once you get a shot it does take a couple weeks for the antibodies to develop. This year they recommend the shot and say do not use the nasal spray. Below came from the CDC website.

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/protect/keyfacts.htm

How do flu vaccines work?
    Flu vaccines cause antibodies to develop in the body about two weeks after vaccination. These antibodies provide protection against infection with the viruses that are in the vaccine.

The seasonal flu vaccine protects against the influenza viruses that research indicates will be most common during the upcoming season. Traditional flu vaccines (called “trivalent” vaccines) are made to protect against three flu viruses; an influenza A (H1N1) virus, an influenza A (H3N2) virus, and an influenza B virus. There are also flu vaccines made to protect against four flu viruses (called “quadrivalent” vaccines). These vaccines protect against the same viruses as the trivalent vaccine and an additional B virus.

What kinds of flu vaccines are available?
    CDC recommends use of injectable influenza vaccines (including inactivated influenza vaccines and recombinant influenza vaccines) during 2017-2018. The nasal spray flu vaccine (live attenuated influenza vaccine or LAIV) should not be used during 2017-2018.

12. Marsh CallUser

Marsh CallUser 12 pointer

May 20, 2011
    Bowling Green, KY

I like your sense of humor.

katlynn likes this.
  13. JDMiller

JDMiller 12 pointer

Jun 12, 2005
    " Between the Rivers "
    My wife says it’s roughly about 3 weeks from time of vaccine injection till your body develops full antibodies.

Which she also says a lot of it is about timing... as the vaccination last about 3 months being the antibodies / resistance is the highest.

So... pending when you got the flu shot and when the actual flu season peaks makes a difference. Which for the last few years many of the pharmacies (Walgreens, CVS ) have been advertising flu shots early September. Then by December ... those that took them have lost their highest resistance before flu season has peaked.

Which a flu shot is better than none ... but here in Ky .. most of our peak flu outbreaks is late November till about mid-February. So.... she advises not getting a flu shot till October .... which is why most health departments don’t hold flu clinics till October.

I usually get mine just prior to Halloween.... which is when my wife and the other nurses & employees at her work take theirs.

14. wv67

wv67 6 pointer

Dec 19, 2017
    Southern wva
    I don’t get flu shots never will , did you know when you get a flu shot , for several days your immune system is zero that’s fact not BS. And the strain of flu the shot is for everyone that get the flu gets some other type it’s proven not to work my wife has been a RN for 23 years the doctors at Morgantown memorial just diagnosed her with auto immune disease several cases all from the medical field know what caused it vaccine shots flu pneumonia etc that are required to work in hospitals She is now on a large list of law suits against the company proven facts not BS and it’s the cause of my daughters heart condition do I care if I get money he’ll NO what a healthy wife and child piss on a vaccine shot

15. katlynn

katlynn 6 pointer

Sep 20, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    Thanks. I think some may have missed it. haha