Anyone hear of a big game farm In Muhlenberg

Discussion in 'General Hunting' started by Duster, Oct 31, 2003.

1. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

At work this afternoon a fellow told me of a big game high fence operation located between Paradise and Rockport on some reclaimed stripmine land. Supposed to be like 2,700 acres under high fence. He said they have Elk , Bison , and several kinds of deer. This is the first I have heard of this. Just curious if anyone else has heard of this place.

2. Sirhuntsalot

Sirhuntsalot 6 pointer

Oct 28, 2002
    Henderson, Ky., USA.
    I don't know anything about it either but I hope if it's true that the place goes under. I hate to see these kind of places around here. I hate to see the people who run it to loose there investment but if it's a big money maker we'll be seeing alot more of these "hunting" operations popping up. Thats not what I want to see for the future of hunting.

3. Finn209

Finn209 Cyber-Hunter

Mar 13, 2003
    Lewisburg, KY. USA
    yes, they have one.....here's their web site

http://www.logcreek.com/

[​IMG]

4. joekat46

joekat46 8 pointer

Jun 19, 2003
    North Port, Fl.
    Boo, hiss, [}:)][}:)]. When some yahoo tries to brag about the big buck he killed there someone be sure and call him on it. If this is the future of hunting let's let it die an honorable death now [xx(].

5. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

From looking at thier web site it looks to be not open to the general public. Look at the fishing pictures and see who you find with a big bass. If it is a private operation they sure have a bunch of $$$ sunk in this place.

6. joekat46

joekat46 8 pointer

Jun 19, 2003
    North Port, Fl.
    I found the picture of what you speak. Too bad. Their show used to do a lot of public land affordable hunts. It's now almost all high dollar stuff long out of reach to the average hunter. Entertaining, but gives false expectations to the new hunters (what few new hunters there are).[:(].

7. Tim Herald

Tim Herald 6 pointer

Dec 27, 2001
    Lex., KY.
    I guess it is wrong for Harold to go fishing in a pond because it is in a high fence? What does that have to do with the show?

Good Hunting...Tim H.

8. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

Nothing wrong that I see Tim. Just curious if Harold is a member or guest at this place myself. One thing I thought of is if this place can support a elk herd why don't the state reintroduce some on Peabody land in western Ky like they did in the east ?

9. Tim Herald

Tim Herald 6 pointer

Dec 27, 2001
    Lex., KY.
    Harold was a guest.

I think anywhere that is fenced and feeds enough could hold elk. I don't understand the whole elk project at all. No doubt, they could live on Peabody. The issue is that they won't stay in one place. That is the problem in eastern KY. The elk don't stay where KDFWR want them. That's what happens when they are wild.

Good Hunting...Tim H.

10. Multidigits

Multidigits BBBC Members

Dec 10, 2001
    Vine Grove, Ky, USA.
    May have been a guest here but Harold and David have their own privately owned high fenced area.

11. joekat46

joekat46 8 pointer

Jun 19, 2003
    North Port, Fl.
    We'll keep our eye out for the locations of next years shows. Way too many done on the $1500 to $1800 (3 day hunt) operations. I thought you were in New Zealand? Didn't expect a pro's involvement in this discussion.[?].

12. Tim Herald

Tim Herald 6 pointer

Dec 27, 2001
    Lex., KY.
    I've been around here a lot longer than you have Joe. I just mainly read instead of spouting off.

It is so easy to sit back and criticize. Folks have no idea how hard it is to get half a quality show done on a 3 day hunt. I don't care for the high fence stuff myself, let's make that clear. I will attempt to film a deer show next week here in central KY where I normally hunt. As a matter of fact, my place fell through for this weekend, and I'll probably be sitting at home until Monday. There are sacrifices made to try to film. I am going to TX this month to film a deer show on a free range hunt, no high fence. Sure, it would be an expensive hunt, but how would a show get 20-40 trophy deer kills a year if they hunted all public land? You have to remember you have all season to work towards getting one good buck. This is how these guys make a living and time is their biggest constraint. They have to go to the best places they can, get the most good footage they can, in the time they have. We filmed 5 turkey hunts here in central KY this spring on a place I hunt. I hunted it with a camera and without. On opening day, I had two longbeards at 20 yards in my decoys, but I let them walk because they didn't strut or gobble on film. It wouldn't have made entertaining viewing, so they walked. Again a sacrifice to try to do a good job. How many times do you let two birds like that walk when you are just hunting? It isn't as easy as it looks.

Harold and David do have their own high fence, but it is there primarily for bringing in buyers, exec.s for sponsor companies, etc. and letting them hunt for PR reasons.

I don't want to sound like a jerk, it just really gets me when folks sit behind their keyboards and complain any chance they can or take a stab any time they can at the "big names" in hunting and TV, when most of us would kill to be able to make a living from hunting like those guys do. Until you have been around it some, you have no idea how much work goes into a quality hunting show.

Good Hunting...Tim H.

13. joekat46

joekat46 8 pointer

Jun 19, 2003
    North Port, Fl.
    Yeah - I do spout off. You being around this forum longer means nothing. No seniority points apply here.

I have long felt that the pure sport of hunting is being prostituted by big money. When everything is done behind a high fence, a high dollar lease, or on a "ranch" that cost $300 to $500 a day it becomes irrelevant to most of us. Your shows are now pure entertainment that give false expectations to the young hunters that, if these trends continue, will probably never be able to afford to hunt 10 years from now.

14. Brad Gray

Brad Gray Fawn

Oct 8, 2003
    KY.
    Tim, I fully agree. As you well know we have our own show Inside Outdoors, been 3 years in the makings and still need alot more footage and sponsorship before it will get to one of the big channels. It is a challenge to get one good show out of 3 day of hunting. I spent all of last deer season hunting private land with a camera. No luck Hunted every chance I got and on the last day of season I didn't take the camera and guess what? I seen more deer that day than I did all year. Most of you don't know me but just to clue you in I work a full time job 8 hours a day and drive 4 more so that doesn't leave much time however hunting is a deep passion of mine and will continue to be for many years to come as I hand it down to my kids. I have spent some time with many of the big name hunters and its not easy. I spent a week with Bill Jordan and Michael Wadell in western Kentucky and seen them hunt their A@@ off. We were there for a solid week seen several deer but as Tim said if they don't do something special its not video quality. I bet they passed on at least 2 shooter bucks each. I have also spent several hours in the wood running a camera for Hunters Specialities and by several I mean like 40 to 50 hours in the past 6 months and at this point we still don't have enough footage to complete a show. Once again as Tim said "I don't want to sound like a jerk, it just really gets me when folks sit behind their keyboards and complain any chance they can or take a stab any time they can at the "big names" in hunting and TV, when most of us would kill to be able to make a living from hunting like those guys do. Until you have been around it some, you have no idea how much work goes into a quality hunting show."

Brad Gray

15. Tim Herald

Tim Herald 6 pointer

Dec 27, 2001
    Lex., KY.
    How many people would watch a hunting show if they regularly shot spikes and 4 pointers, or killed turkeys the second they popped their head into view - NOT MANY. If not many people watch, no advertisers pay the bills of production and air time = no shows. Look at it from a realistic standpoint.

I didn't mean anything about seniority...you said you didn't expect me to be here, and I was simply stating I have been around this site since it started many moons ago...

I guees that NZ comment was meant as some sort of stab at me??? I don't really understand why. Everything I will hunt over there will be free ranging -no fences. Sounds like some sort of sour grapes to me, but I can't understand why.

Good Hunting...Tim H.