Anyone hunt in DBNF?

Discussion in 'General Hunting' started by Smokin9mm, Jun 26, 2017.

1. Mxcmxc

Mxcmxc Spike

Dec 3, 2016
    Spooky!!!

2. Teach Deer

Teach Deer 6 pointer

Aug 4, 2013
    Georgetown
    Welcome to the Bluegrass...

As several have already indicated, there is great hunting in the area. The best areas local to Lexington are generally WMAs that are open to archery and quota gun hunts only...since I live in Georgetown about 12 miles north of Lexington and hunt only public land I don't mind giving you the run down...

Archery Hunts
    1. Veteran's Memorial WMA (Georgetown) had a huge number of deer (especially does) on it when I began hunting...due to pressure (it gets a lot) and some restoration work, the deer seem a bit spookier and harder to come by...I tend to hunt here early in the season because of its locality...
    2. Kleber WMA (I do not normally hunt the Rich WMA unit) has a good population of deer and turkeys and is accessible via quota hunts every couple of years (my largest buck come from a December Quota hunt there)...I mostly hunt squirrel and turkey there as access is "difficult"--long walk to the best areas = difficult to drag out a large deer...if you choose to hunt there you need to be prepared for this...
    3. Kentucky River WMA is my favorite archery hunting area and will yield 1-2 deer for me most years...it also has a quota hunt but will take you several years to get enough points to get in (if you do get in quickly go and buy some powerball tickets too)...several tracts of land vary from river bottoms and fields to rolling hills (which can get rough)...driving access is remote (make sure you have a full tank of gas/diesel)...
    4. Taylorsville Lake WMA...has a lot of deer and turkey and a lot of hunters...it also normally has several quota hunts and can usually be accessed every couple of years...the access roads here are on the ridge tops so your trips into the woods are mostly down hill (of course that means that trips out dragging a deer are mostly uphill)...still not a terribly challenging area to hunt...

Muzzleloader / Modern Firearm
    1. Peabody WMA...located in Ohio and Muhlenburg Cos...it is several large parcels of reclaimed coal mines...it is relatively flat with some rolling hills...open for all seasons (but does require an access permit available wherever you get your license), it will be heavily hunted during any of the gun seasons...when I started hunting there about 20 years ago, it had an issue with poaching / bad "hunter" ethics...lots of deer and lots of turkeys in the area...
    2. Fort Knox...my favorite place to gun hunt (I use a shotgun) for deer...however, with some of the changes that have been made, it is not the most user friendly area for anyone who does not live close by...Knox closed weapons registration by mail last year and I do not get in the area very much otherwise...
    ***I really loved hunting Knox***it was like going on a semi-guided hunt in Illinois for really monster class deer...and Knox has them...I never had much luck with the monster class (though I have seen many at the check stations) but the thrill of a possible encounter is what it was all about for me...
    LOTS of red-tape with Knox (weapons registration, KY Driver's License is not acceptable ID, check in/out, etc)--but it can be worth it...
    3. Yatesville Lake WMA...located in Lawrence Co is like Peabody a fairly large area with a good deer population...the area around the lake is rough, though there is a handicap access (ATVs allowed with permit) at the Rich Creek boat ramp...this is NOT an easy place to hunt--that said expect a lot of hunters...
    4. Daniel Boone NF...located in a large patch of eastern KY...I usually access the area behind Morehead State University off of KY 799-Big Perry Road (I think)...back in 2000-2003, it was loaded with deer...every morning of the muzzleloader/modern firearm season it looked like the 5th Armored Division would roll in (and camping is allowed)...deer density has been seriously reduced in that area but I find myself there with a rifle more years than not...physically, it can be brutal hunting...the ridges (mostly where the access roads are) are high and the valleys are steep and deep...you need to be prepared for serious mountain hunting in this area...also make sure you are prepared for snakes in this area...fairly large population of timber rattlesnakes...I will admit to killing a lot of deer in this area (no big bucks to brag about--though I saw many killed)...

Best of luck to you...

Smokin9mm and bondhu like this.
  3. Smokin9mm

Smokin9mm 6 pointer

Dec 3, 2014
    Lexington
    Well I spent the last couple of my days off hitting up a few shops and trying out bows. I didn't realize bow season was so long up here, so I figure I will give it a shot. I think I have narrowed it down to 2. I really liked the Mathews Halon 32 and the Bowtech Boss. I am 6'4'' so my choices are somewhat limited. Anyone with any input on either of these bow?