Anyone hunted Fort Knox in the last week or so?

Discussion in 'General Hunting' started by KyHorse, Oct 23, 2003.

1. KyHorse

KyHorse BBBC Members

Jul 29, 2003
    Henderson, KY, USA.
    Will be heading down tomorrow for 3 or 4 days of bowhunting and was wondering what the deer activity has been like.

2. Valley Station

Valley Station Cyber-Hunter

Very slow, but, improving. Good luck.[:)]

3. KyHorse

KyHorse BBBC Members

Jul 29, 2003
    Henderson, KY, USA.
    Thanks for the reply. Good luck to you as well.

4. AlDeerSlayer

AlDeerSlayer Spike

Aug 6, 2003
    Montgomery, AL.
    Me and a buddy of mine are coming up next weekend to spend a week tromping through the woods in KY. We live in bama and are looking for bigger deer than what they offer in this state. Anything weighing over 150 is big, by the standards we have down here.....

See ya'll next weekend...

AlDeerSlayer

5. stevenvalley

stevenvalley Spike

Dec 10, 2001
    USA.
    sorry there aldeerslayer,but body sizes at fort knox are some of the smallest in the state. You'll be hard pressed to kill one at knox that will weigh more than that.

stevenvalley

6. buckchaser

buckchaser 8 pointer

Jan 11, 2003
    Ky, USA.
    We bowhunted there last weekend. There was 5 in our group and all of us saw some deer, but it was kinda slow. My brother saw a good 8 pointer on Sunday morning but couldn't get a shot. I only saw 3 deer in 3 days but I still had a great time. Good luck.

early to bed early to rise Gotta get to the woods to claim my prize

7. AlDeerSlayer

AlDeerSlayer Spike

Aug 6, 2003
    Montgomery, AL.
    Steve,
    If size is relatively the same, it shouldn't be to hard to pick that tiny spot you have to hit... just like hunting at home... We are coming up there to just get out of this place for a week... as long as we see deer, and maybe take 1 home with us, that will be a great trip. We will be hunting 1-9 NOV, with the exception of Tuesday, and if we can find somewhere close to the Fort, we will try to hunt there to.
    I am originally from IL, so deer down here seem pretty small to me. I have not seen to many deer that would compare to those in IL, but they are out there, you just have to go through some junk to get to them..... the stay pretty secluded and are very nocturnal.

Hope to have a good time and meet some nice folks. That is the real reason behind our trip, to get out and meet other hunters.

Slayer

8. KyHorse

KyHorse BBBC Members

Jul 29, 2003
    Henderson, KY, USA.
    ALDeerSlayer,
    Where you at in 'bama? I hunt with my dad some north of Tuscaloosa in a couple different counties. Your right about the deer, AL may have a lot of them, but most are the size of a large german shepard. I've hunted January down there and seen fawns with spots still on them. Loooooong drawn out rutting activity.

Good luck while you are up here. You could likely head over to Taylorsville on Tuesday to hunt. It is pretty close, or maybe even Yellowbanks. Both see pressure, but that is public land hunting.

9. AlDeerSlayer

AlDeerSlayer Spike

Aug 6, 2003
    Montgomery, AL.
    Live in Montgomery... Hunting this year in Northern Autauga county, after being in a club in Butler county that went bad after 3 years. So I had to find someplace else to hunt. I am hunting 85 acres pretty much by myself. Have 4 pretty good foodplots, I just need to get the deer out of the swamp, as I have NO access to the swamp, and I really don't like messing with Water Moccasins and rattlesnakes... that is no fun in my book with a stick and a string in my hand...
    Amen on the puppies running around the woods, you see them with spots all season long. A guy that worls with me saw 2 with spots the other day, playing under hs stand at his lease. Oh and did I mention, it costs me nothin but time helping the guy around the farm to hunt his land......??

Slayer

10. Multidigits

Multidigits BBBC Members

Dec 10, 2001
    Vine Grove, Ky, USA.