Anyone hunted pigeon?

Discussion in 'General Hunting' started by Jacobhwrd, Jul 9, 2016.

1. Jacobhwrd

Jacobhwrd 6 pointer

Jan 26, 2014
    Richmond, Ky
    I am looking for something to hunt in the spring and summer since this is the most boring time of year for me. Has anyone tried hunting pigeons? I have been looking into and it looks like a ton of fun and since i LOVE wing shooting and hate the fact there is nothing to hunt in spring and summer this seems like an easy choice.

2. trust me

trust me Troubled Loner

Nov 27, 2004
    Jerkwater, KY
    Find a grain silo or a cattle operation and they'll practically beg you to kill all you can. They steal their weight in grain every day. Just make sure you shoot in a safe place and aren't being dangerous.

3. KY Swamp Beagler

KY Swamp Beagler 12 pointer

Feb 20, 2011
    the swamps of Western KY
    I've shot them at night at my buddy's shop in town with subsonic Aguila .22s out of a Nylon 66 with a scope on it. They were roosted on a billboard and crapping all over everything, so they needed them gone. It was not hunting, just killing. They relocated shortly thereafter. Problem solved.

I used to hear tale of guys shooting them at the granary.

4. whitleycotrapper

whitleycotrapper 12 pointer

May 20, 2005
    Williamsburg, KY
    Hunt them quite a bit at a few of the farms I hunt on. Farmers love it and ask us to shoot them. They're not bad to eat either. We've killed 50-80 a year or more for the last three or four years. They make great practice before duck season and a pretty dumb when you stick out a few mojo doves, at least for a little while. The groups we hunt have gotten pretty wise to them but we still kill em just sitting by the grain bins. Had one spot that we couldn't really shoot safe anywhere but one lane and we had to shoot them on the ground. We let em bunch up at a little pile of grain and we each fired one shot and killed 19. Farmer was really happy that day. Good work for a dog if you have one as well.

5. 1wildcatfan

1wildcatfan 12 pointer

Jan 2, 2009
    raised n Bullitt Co.
    use to shoot flush them out of my grandpas barns and blast away. they would crap all over the hay in the loft.

6. Jacobhwrd

Jacobhwrd 6 pointer

Jan 26, 2014
    Richmond, Ky
    I dont have a dog yet but am planning to get one whenever my current one "moves on". He is just a pet and had him for 8 years so i think that ship has sailed on training him to retrieve. I was looking at the Soar No More sight at their dove decoys and stumbled onto the pigeons. Mojo even makes a pigeon spinner now. It looks like TONS of fun and would give me something to do while i wait for crow and dove season to roll back around. I am really hard up for something to do in the summer and spring. I will do coyote stands here and there in the mornings but with only time for one set its not very productive.

7. GrouseAssasin

GrouseAssasin 12 pointer

Aug 1, 2009
    Jackson, ky
    Jacob where you located at?

8. Jacobhwrd

Jacobhwrd 6 pointer

Jan 26, 2014
    Richmond, Ky
    I live in Richmond but im from Harrison County. Thats where i do most of my hunting. Hoping the crow and pigeons open some opportunities to hunt locally. Surely it should be easy to find people who want both of those shot.

9. damnboy

damnboy Banned

Jul 12, 2016
    i think It was not hunting, just killing..
    [​IMG]

10. KY Swamp Beagler

Feb 20, 2011
    the swamps of Western KY
    The one thing I regret is not eating them. I'd never been exposed to the idea of eating pigeons. I went back to work the following Monday and told my Swedish boss. He looked at me like I was a moron for not eating them. He said they are delicious. Live and learn. I'll never let another go to waste.

11. Jacobhwrd

Jacobhwrd 6 pointer

Jan 26, 2014
    Richmond, Ky
    ?????what??????

12. Jacobhwrd

Jacobhwrd 6 pointer

Jan 26, 2014
    Richmond, Ky
    I have heard they taste really good but to never eat the one shot at feed lots. I am going to actually try the crow i shoot this year. Curiosity finally got to me.

13. 1wildcatfan

1wildcatfan 12 pointer

Jan 2, 2009
    raised n Bullitt Co.
    aren't they called "squab" in grocery stores? not that they're sold where I shop.

14. KY Swamp Beagler

Feb 20, 2011
    the swamps of Western KY
    I believe he called them squab. He said they were great. I'm curious now to see what they taste like. Are they more like dove or closer to chicken?

15. EC

EC 12 pointer

Jul 13, 2003
    Louisville, KY.
    Never intentionally hunted them. I guess they taste like a big dove. Its a fancy meal with a fancy price to buy 'em at a Foo-foo type restaurant. Never had one tho.