Anyone miss the good ole days deer check ins??

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by kyduck1, Dec 7, 2017.

1. Dark Cloud

Dark Cloud 8 pointer

Aug 14, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    I don’t miss no baker tree stand ,I dropped about five feet one morning before daylight.This one my friend had cut it down smaller,so it would be lighter to pack.

2. JDMiller

JDMiller 12 pointer

Jun 12, 2005
    " Between the Rivers "
    They separated the men from the boys.

Shirt sleeves torn and tattered from the elbow down and no hide on the inside of your arms because you were hugging the tree using it as a brake for the next slip.

I actually still have one hanging in the shop.

bondhu, Mainbeam and Dark Cloud like this.
  3. Feedman

Feedman Cyber-Hunter

May 28, 2003
    In the basement
    JD
    I'm with you on the dimmer switch

4. JDMiller

JDMiller 12 pointer

Jun 12, 2005
    " Between the Rivers "
    Handy as a pocket on your shirt when they were in the floor.

Whoever the genius was that thought they needed to be on the column .. needed a flogging.

gung and bondhu like this.
  5. Feedman

Feedman Cyber-Hunter

May 28, 2003
    In the basement
    I agree. One of those things that wasn't broke an didn't need fixin

6. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    I just about crapped my britches one morning on public land, well before daylight because of a Baker stand.

I had just got to my stand, and settled in, not aware of anything in the surrounding darkness. My hearing became hyper vigilant in the deafening silence of the deep woods just before first light. I could feel each of my ears slightly turning independently, just trying to capture any noise no matter how slight. When all the sudden, someone, that I never knew was there let out a blood curdling scream! THAT scream, along with the "classic" ratcheting back down a tree uncontrollably Baker sound, almost provoked my orifices to involuntarily react! 5 seconds later all my ears could hear was my heart beating in my chest, that was the first time I ever had heard that, and hopefully the last!

Recurve77, bondhu, Dark Cloud and 2 others like this.
  7. 1wildcatfan

1wildcatfan 12 pointer

Jan 2, 2009
    raised n Bullitt Co.
    Deer could here me 1/2 mile away when I climbed with the Baker. That plywood was noisy. Dad said it looked like a piano strapped to my back, then catching every limb possible when packing in.

barney likes this.
  8. INKYHUNTER

INKYHUNTER Cyber-Hunter

Dec 10, 2001
    Bowling Green, KY, USA.
    Don’t miss the Baker stands (they were better than a limb), but still think the floor dimmer is better.;)

9. riverboss

riverboss 12 pointer

Jan 26, 2009
    northern ky
    They wouldn't work now! If you killed a good one the place would be leased before the next morning.
    People are to greedy now, they'res a need to hide your honey holes.

10. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    I so much miss the days of the check in stations... it was as much of the hunt as the kill... the good ol' days.

11. elkaholic

elkaholic 10 pointer

Jan 12, 2012
    Pendleton County
    I would much rather check it in on the phone, much easier. You still see deer and can talk to other hunters at the processer.

12. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    Or, as many hunters do, just take it home, cut it up, and go kill another one....

13. JR PORTER

JR PORTER Fawn

May 1, 2014
    KNOTT CO. KY
    I don't miss them one bit. Here in eastern Kentucky sometimes you had to go a way to find one,especially in turkey season. How about Ohio, I used to hunt up there, and you had to check in there, how do you check them in now?

14. JR PORTER

JR PORTER Fawn

May 1, 2014
    KNOTT CO. KY
    I can remember always picking out a rough bark tree to climb, stay away from the slick ones. Not a good feeling sitting there slowly sliding down the tree. I always had a tarp strap to hold pressure on the upper blade. Most of the time that helped.

Dark Cloud likes this.
  15. reivertom

reivertom 12 pointer

Dec 17, 2007
    Greenup Co.
    The local store where I used to go in the 80s would take a polaroid of every buck deer and hunter and put it on the wall. It was fun seeing how others were doing. This would be tough to do these days with the amount of deer killed.