Anyone using shed hunting dogs in Shelby or Henry County ?

Discussion in 'General Hunting' started by Bob Baldwin, Dec 7, 2016.

1. Bob Baldwin

Bob Baldwin Spike

Dec 1, 2013
    Always trying to expand the outdoor activities with family and friends . Like to have a discussion on What breeds , Training , starting with a pup or looking for a finished dog ? We have been hunting the same Private land for 10 years now have stumbled across a few sheds but am sure we are missing many more .

Also are there such things as Shed hunting clubs in Kentucky ?

I know we are a few months away from the deer dropping their Antlers but any help , advice , or opinions would be greatly appreciated

Any breeders trainers you can suggest or some to stay away from ?

Thanks

PrideofMonterey Ky likes this.
  2. PrideofMonterey Ky

PrideofMonterey Ky Fawn

Oct 25, 2011
    Interesting, i got on here to write a post asking if anyone would interested in starting a Club for Shed Hunting. I'd love to get a club around the area. Im in Owen County and have been training my lab since I got him. He will be a year old 12/20 and is doing amazing. Can't wait for the deer to drop.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2016
  3. Bob Baldwin

Bob Baldwin Spike

Dec 1, 2013
    Not sure where in Owen county you are at

4. Bob Baldwin

Bob Baldwin Spike

Dec 1, 2013
    We are about 45 minutes from Lockport

5. Bob Baldwin

Bob Baldwin Spike

Dec 1, 2013
    Dang computer !!! Not what you meant by forming a club ? If I can figure out a way to send a PM I will or if you shoot me a PM I would like to have a phone chat with you . ?I have done a lot bird hunting behind dogs , chased several bears with Plotts and walkers and even chased deer in S.C. with hounds But the whole idea of shed hunting with dogs is new to me ./ I had also tried googling up Shed hunting clubs in Ky. but found nothing
    Thanks
    Bob Baldwin
    502-529-6932

6. DH13

DH13 12 pointer

Jan 13, 2012
    Shelby county
    Looks like he is from Monterey,, Bob. I have a cousin he uses Labs. I don't hunt sheds but find some from time to time when working on the farm. He brought his Dog over last year and worked the farm.Found 8 sheds in about 2 hours.

Jarhead likes this.
  7. Bob Baldwin

Bob Baldwin Spike

Dec 1, 2013
    DH 13 :
    Thanks for posting that
    Is he looking for new land to cover ?
    Does he use more than 1 lab at a time while shed hunting ?
    Is he in Shelby county ?
    I might want to get hooked up with him to ask additional questions if possible
    Might even consider paying him for the day and his trouble if he is interested ?
    Like to get a started dog at least /
    From what I was told the better finished dogs can get real PRICEY !
    Have also been told but don't know that sheds on the ground after 2 years loose their scent ?

Thanks
    Bob Baldwin
    502-529-6932

8. captain71

captain71 10 pointer

Nov 3, 2011
    Western Ky
    I use a mixed breed lab for shed hunting. Last year was my best on fiding sheds, I find them on creek crossings on fence lines. But this year I found most of them in greenest grass in the farm.

9. PrideofMonterey Ky

PrideofMonterey Ky Fawn

Oct 25, 2011
    I'd like to start a NASHDA club were we could have qualifying events local. There's clubs in all surrounding states.

10. KY Swamp Beagler

KY Swamp Beagler 12 pointer

Feb 20, 2011
    the swamps of Western KY
    There are some videos and books out there about shed hunting with dogs. I'd take a look at them, too.

I'll just throw this out there...if I was getting a dog for shed hunting, said dog would also be trained to track deer. I'm a hound guy, but I'd get a dual purpose breed that would use its eyes not keep its nose to the ground all the time like a hound, track and wind deer, as well as, be able to bay up a wounded deer and keep it occupied long enough for me to kill it.

I'd look into German Wire Haired Pointer (or something similar), Curs, Texas Blue Lacy's, Drahts, as well as, hound x cur crosses or hound x bird dog crosses. Those dogs will wind and track game.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2016
  11. 1wildcatfan

1wildcatfan 12 pointer

Jan 2, 2009
    raised n Bullitt Co.
    wonder if shed hunting dogs read "No Trespassing" signs better than coon dogs?

Drahts and Feedman like this.
  12. DH13

DH13 12 pointer

Jan 13, 2012
    Shelby county
    He lives in southern Indiana. I will ask him and see if he wants to come down. Then let you know.

13. DH13

DH13 12 pointer

Jan 13, 2012
    Shelby county
    Yeah they do. You hunt sheds in the day time. So signs easy to see and read.
    At night Coon Dogs have a hard time seeing signs. So makes it harder for them to read.

14. PrideofMonterey Ky

PrideofMonterey Ky Fawn

Oct 25, 2011
    Mine does...stay around 50 yards from me at all times. But I feel
    Your pain on the coon dogs.

15. PrideofMonterey Ky

PrideofMonterey Ky Fawn

Oct 25, 2011
    http://www.sheddogtrainer.com/

Has about all the info you need to get started. Also Jeremy Moores Dogbone products work great. I recommend Tom Dokkens shed dog training DVD and Jeremy Moores shed dog training dvd's well worth the money.