Appalachian Trail

Discussion in 'Camping' started by randy grider, Jan 31, 2015.

1. randy grider

randy grider 12 pointer

Mar 15, 2006
    Burgin, KY
    Who out there has hiked it? Even just a small section. Got an invite today to hike 120 miles of it in VA this coming septermber. This is something I always wanted to do, and giving it serious thought.

2. KY River Rat

KY River Rat 6 pointer

Jan 3, 2008
    I always wanted to, when I was younger i thought i would eventually hike the whole thing. But I never could NOT WORK for the length of time it would take. I should have done sections.
    It's one of the things that I regret, and I don't regret much regarding how I've lived my life.

Before you go read "a walk in the woods" I think the author is named Byson.

3. patiodadio

patiodadio 8 pointer

Mar 22, 2014
    Same with me, always wanted to hike the whole thing and always thought I would. Working long hrs & raising a family just didn't leave room for it. Now I have had both knees replace and a shoulder repaired, I don't think I could make the whole trip. Maybe I could still hike some section of it.

4. ribsplitter

ribsplitter Cyber-Hunter

Jan 19, 2004
    rush, ky, USA.
    I've always thought it would be a fun to hike the entire length also . I have hiked a few sections of the Appalachian and Sheltowee trace but if you work for a living its pretty much impossible to hike it completely.

5. randy grider

randy grider 12 pointer

Mar 15, 2006
    Burgin, KY
    yeah, I read "walk in the woods" several years ago, reading another called "Hiking Through". I doubt I would ever have enough free time to hike its entirety, but want to be able to say I at least hiked a section or two.

6. KYjamesB

KYjamesB 6 pointer

Dec 31, 2014
    Do it!! Hate to look back and wished you did.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. rcurry

rcurry 6 pointer

Mar 29, 2006
    Adair county, ky
    I agree, do it! Lots of folks only do small section hikes on the AT due to their work, family and school commitments. I vote that instead of using your week or two of vacation time to do the same things you have done year after year try something different. The years roll by quickly and some stuff needs to be done while the body is able.

8. sheperd

sheperd 10 pointer

Nov 4, 2003
    Bardstown, Ky
    I hiked the entire width one year. Wore me out.

sent from the doghouse

9. randy grider

randy grider 12 pointer

Mar 15, 2006
    Burgin, KY

"The entire width" !!! Thats funny man ! :)

10. ptbrauch

ptbrauch 12 pointer

Nov 10, 2004
    J-Town
    There was a documentary on PBS about hiking the trail. Watching that put it on my bucket list.

11. BR1

BR1 8 pointer

Apr 8, 2012
    Go to whiteblaze.com it's the web site for the Appalachian trail. I like to go on there and see the pics and read the blogs people put on there. I too would have liked to have walked the trail.

12. ptbrauch

ptbrauch 12 pointer

Nov 10, 2004
    J-Town
  13. 1wildcatfan

1wildcatfan 12 pointer

Jan 2, 2009
    raised n Bullitt Co.
    hiked about 20' of it, enough to get a pic of my boys next to a sign. :) it's only about 15 miles from my house, not far from Harpers Ferry.

14. sheperd

sheperd 10 pointer

Nov 4, 2003
    Bardstown, Ky
    Harpers Ferry is one of the prettiest places I have ever seen.

sent from the doghouse

15. ukyager

ukyager 8 pointer

Jan 21, 2005
    KENTUCKY
    My grandfather thru-hiked the AT in 1990 GA-ME.
    When I graduated high school in 1997 he and I started in ME in an attempt I thru-hike it north to south. I made it roughly 750 miles before the young dumb 18 year old version of me got burned out and started to miss being with my friends.
    I've been back many times in different states for weekend hikes, but regret daily not finishing that thru-hike in 97.
    It was the only time in my life I was and probably will be in the position to complete a thru-hike of the AT.
    There is nothing I have found that compares to the day in day out solitude of hiking the AT!
    Get out there and do that 120 mile section, it will impact you in a positive way I promise!