Appalachian Trail

Discussion in 'Camping' started by randy grider, Jan 31, 2015.

1. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012
    Had a lady in her 60s tell me she had hiked the entire trail 12 times. She's still at it. Goes all over US hiking, camping.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. randy grider

randy grider 12 pointer

Mar 15, 2006
    Burgin, KY
    One of my favorites is reading about grandma Gatrewood, that hiked it in 1955, mother of 11, grandmother of 24 with 30 great grandchildren and 1 great great grandchild by the time she died in 1973 at age 85. She did the whole trail with a wool blanket, shower curtain for a shelter, and keds sneakers ! She wound up through hiking it again, and section hiked it a third time at age 75 ! Now thats a tough old gal !

3. ukyager

ukyager 8 pointer

Jan 21, 2005
    KENTUCKY
    A good read is "blind courage" by Bill Irwin.
    My grandfather hiked with him some while doing his thru hike.
    I had the privilege of meeting this man a few times.
    For him to hike the AT blind with a guide dog is amazing.

4. randy grider

randy grider 12 pointer

Mar 15, 2006
    Burgin, KY
    From some of the pics ive seen of the trail, im sure he had some banged up shins.

5. web splitter

web splitter 6 pointer

Feb 3, 2015
    i've hiked a few small sections, 50-150 miles or so at a time. be sure to plan well even if the trip is a short one. know where you plan to get water and camp. make sure your water sources are reliable if you plan to filter it. don't take too much gear, no one really cares how fresh and clean you are on the trail. hiking poles will help a lot. make sure you have a good backpack and know how to wear it. i frequently see people on trails that simply do not know how to wear their backpack; they slump, slouch and are miserable walking the trail only because they do not know how to use the various straps on their backpack. the weight should be resting more on your hips than your shoulders. take several day hikes in preparation. Enjoy!

6. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

I did a off chute of the trail years ago trout fishing near Elizabethton, Tennessee a few times. The part I was on was a well taken care of supply trail that came down off the mountain to town. Never made it up to the main trail before limiting out on trout and hiking back down to parking lot. That water in the creek you had to cross several times was cold I do remember that. I think my feet were blue after the first few crossings.

7. cedar creek

cedar creek 8 pointer

Sep 7, 2014
    I hiked from ammichloa falls to nanthala forest. 3 weeks . Was one of the best moments of my life.

8. KYT

KYT 8 pointer

May 3, 2008
    Eastern Ky.
    Duster, I may have fished that stream you're talking about. Caught a lot of trout and froze my legs stiff for sure. It was about 50 years ago and i remember it was close to Elizabethton. One place was called Frog Level I think. Was that stream called Clear Creek? There were some log crossings over the stream back then, but not near enough.

9. RDL270

RDL270 Cyber-Hunter

Apr 14, 2003
    Fern Creek KY
    I did a day hike in the Smokies along part of the AT. Always wanted to hike more of it. Brother and I talked about it but never got the chance. May still.........LOL

10. WaterDog88

WaterDog88 10 pointer

Jul 28, 2008
    Kentucky
    I know a few guys who have through hiked it and some folks who have done a few sections. I've been on a few parts in tn and va but no overnights.

Beautiful trail. I'd love to hike more of it but just don't have he time right now.

11. flyingnectar

flyingnectar Spike

Oct 30, 2014
    Metcalfe County
    I have hiked a lot of it growing up in New England. The mountains in the winter is fun. I also lived on it in maryand and hunted it on south mountain. Great memories of a ground stalk bow kill.

12. randy grider

randy grider 12 pointer

Mar 15, 2006
    Burgin, KY
    Had forgotten about this thread. Well, we made it to our jumpoff point near Damascus,VA, first day did around 10-12 miles, climbing the highest peak in VA (White mountain I think...) best I recall it was a 2500 foot climb from where we started. It rained the entire hike, and was about 50 degrees. Every item I owned was soaked except for a change of underwear, t-shirt,and socks. Camped near a shelter, and it rained continuosly through the night, the plan was to continue on, so i crawled from my sleeping bag, removed those three dry items, and back in the ziplock bag they went to sleep in the following night, and pulled on wet underwear, socks and shirt to hike another day in the rain. If you have never done this let me tell you, it is hard to do ! My companions were in the same shape as me and decided to call it quits, which meant hiking another 10-12 miles to get to a road to be picked up. So the 120 mile hike turned into a 20-22 mile hike, in the cold rain. That being said, it was very memorable, and would love to have another go at it. My goal is 100 miles a year, by the time im 75 i will have completed it ! LOL. I do have the gear figured out, and will return !

13. BuckFeverFeen

BuckFeverFeen 6 pointer

Aug 4, 2015
    Somerset
    I know this is an old post but I thought I'd share anyway. A movie has been made and it is absolutely worth the watch. It wouldn't be any good for actual information on the trail but it's a very entertaining movie with 2 excellent actors (Redford and Nolte). Should still be in redbox.

14. ptbrauch

ptbrauch 12 pointer

Nov 10, 2004
    J-Town
    I once watched a documentary on the hike on PBS. It was pretty interesting and is what got me interested in doing it.

15. smashdn

smashdn 12 pointer

Nov 24, 2003
    Palmyra, Kentucky
    One good aspect of that movie that is subtle but a take-away, is that you need to "hike your own hike." You read that a lot on whiteblaze.net and somewhat on the hammock forums though it is usually "hang your own hang" over there.

If you do hike it you are going to run into party people, pot smokers, guys with 20k worth of new fangled gear, people looking to hook-up, grandmas, grandpas, guys trying to do 20 miles a day, drifters, grifters, and others.

Have an idea what you want to get out of it. If you just want solitude and a nice hike I think there are better options. If you want to set a goal to through-hike, hike a full section, or do the whole thing over the course of a few years then that is great too.

Do a bunch of research and really think about what you want to get out of it for yourself and then decide if you can get that from the AT.