Are you an NRA member?>>If not tell why

Discussion in 'General Hunting' started by cbs, Nov 10, 2003.

1. cbs

cbs Fawn

Oct 28, 2003
    Mchenry, IL, USA.
    I wanted to use this forum to find out why so many gun owners
    are not nra members,

I don't belive they are perfect, sometimes they say the wrong things
    and make anti-gunners get on there horse

But I think there the best chance to defend all our gun rights
    so I gladly pay my dues because of this.

PLUS, the american rifleman, Is worth the cost of the dues for me!

Please post your views, I want to know why so many gunners arnt trying to defend our rights to own and use our guns!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. Big58cal

Big58cal 10 pointer

Dec 10, 2001
    KY
    I used to be a member, but primarily a couple of reasons made me drop my membership. One, I got tired of receiving so much junk mail from the NRA. For all that they were paying in postage and printing, they could have done a lot more usefull things with that money. Second was that they started to get pretty radical on some of their views. These are my reasons and mine alone.

3. ksp965

ksp965 Cyber-Hunter

Aug 24, 2003
    Whitesburg, KY, USA.
    I never joined for the same reasons that .58 stated. Also don't like their rating of politicans the way they do it. If you are not a member or contributor you get bad ratings even though you may be the best for the sportsmen. In other words, it seems you can buy a rating.

4. joekat46

joekat46 8 pointer

Jun 19, 2003
    North Port, Fl.
    The NRA has done more to defend our right to hunt and shoot than any other group. They need and deserve our full support.

5. littleindian

littleindian BBBC Members

Sep 16, 2003
    JAMESTOWN, KY, USA.
    Yes I am. But they are not what they used to be.

"It's not what you take, but what you leave behind"

6. grouseguy

grouseguy Cyber-Hunter

For basically the same reasons stated by Big and ksp965, I no longer support the NRA. IMHO, the NRA has evolved into nothing more than a political mouthpiece and fundraising arm of the Republican party, and as such has become more interested in a candidate's party affiliation than their stance on the 2nd amendment, and has prostituted itself into an organization that I no longer recognize or support.

I also have to ask myself, if an organization supports candidates that have no problems infringing on the rights granted by other amendments, specifically the 1st and 4th, can the 2nd really be that secure under their watch?

When dealing with the NRA, I think it is very important to watch what they <b>DO </b>rather than simply believe what they <b>SAY</b>! Also, my life is not determined by a "single issue", so why would I vote for a candidate based solely on a "single issue".

Again, as Big said, these reasons are mine and mine alone for not supporting the NRA.

7. Multidigits

Multidigits BBBC Members

Dec 10, 2001
    Vine Grove, Ky, USA.
    For the reasons that Grouseguy mentions, and the fact that the other party is mostly against gun owners rights, I'm a proud member of the NRA and plan to be for life. Regardless of what else a candidate stands for, if he's against guns, and hunting , then he's agianst me, and won't get my vote. Without guns, and hunting, I'd be

8. joekat46

joekat46 8 pointer

Jun 19, 2003
    North Port, Fl.
    When the current Democratic Party leaders stop catering to the left liberal fringe things may get back to a more fair and balanced situation and I could again vote for the man rather than the party. Until then, and with a few exceptions, there is only one party that supports the 2nd Ammendment.

Anyone that won't support the NRA take a look at the U.S. Sportsmen's Alliance, 801 Kingsmill Parkway, Columbus, Ohio 43229. They have had great success defeating anti-hunting voter referendums and don't push individual candidates as much as the NRA. The bottom line is that all pro hunting groups MUST endorse political candidates to some degree. It is very rare for any of them to endorse a Democrat when the party is dominated by the likes of Hillary Clinton and Chuckie Schummer(two real 2nd ammndment supporters[:p]). Grr.

9. Bowcrazy

Bowcrazy Cyber-Hunter

Dec 12, 2001
    Nancy, KY.
    If not for the NRA I firmly believe we would not be hunting today, at least legally. If you don't support any other group you should support NRA. If not for NRA activities in Tennessee and West Virginia, Al Gore would be President today and we would be on the road to loss of gun ownership. They do what more sportsmans organizations should do, they get to the bottom of where you stand and if you stand against gun owners they punish you for it...regardless of your party affiliation.

10. Larry Carter

Larry Carter 8 pointer

Mar 2, 2003
    Crab Orchard, Ky, USA.
    Politically I'd mention John Dingell from Michigan.

11. joekat46

joekat46 8 pointer

Jun 19, 2003
    North Port, Fl.
    John Dingell, Zell Miller, and a few other Dems are usually pro hunting, pro 2nd. The number in the House and Senate with a "D" after their name that can be counted on not to further restrict gun ownership and hunting rights can be added on one hand.[:(!]

12. kyhuntsman

kyhuntsman 6 pointer

Nov 26, 2002
    I do not belong to the NRA due to 16 months of unemployment. If I can't afford to go hunting, then I sure can't afford a luxury like the NRA. Secondly, when I did belong I strongly disliked the fact that they wasted so much paper by sending out announcements and bulletins every other week on something that had nothing to do with me or my district. I believ ethat money would be better spent in another avenue.

Just my 2 cents worth.
    Matt

13. Multidigits

Multidigits BBBC Members

Dec 10, 2001
    Vine Grove, Ky, USA.
    Tkaes a lot of fuel to run a big truck, THE NRA is a very big truck. They have to advertise to stay in business, and to hopefully add to the membership. In my opinion, it's takes only a second to drop what you don't want in the garbage. Gun ownership rights are a lot more important then that.

14. kyscout

kyscout 6 pointer

Mar 28, 2002
    Florence, Kentucky, USA.
    I have belonged to the NRA going on 14yrs now. My personal belief is that we should support the NRA. While the NRA does make some mistakes on certain issues with canidates so do we all. I personally believe that we the sportsman of a given state should support a strong state and national hunting organization. Plus we have to remember that the NRA is just for we people who hunt, they are also for the trap shooter the gun collectors and even our law enforcement officers. So before bashing the NRA look at the over all good they have done in protecting our right to bear arms. The NRA is like any other organization its only as good as its membership. So ask yourself this what have you done today to help protect your right to bear arms.

15. cbs

cbs Fawn

Oct 28, 2003
    Mchenry, IL, USA.
    THANK YOU ALL FOR REPLYING TO MY FORUM QUESTION ABOUT NRA VIEWS,
    I MUST SAY IM QUITE IMPRESSED WITH SOME OF YOUR POLITICAL SAVVY,

My hope (as a gun owner and hunter) Is that by bringing up this discussion, Ive brought us all a little closer to understanding and protecting OUR rights to possess and bear arms.

There are so many gun owners that love there shooting sports, but are not doing a thing to protect them, I would hope that you will ALL
    at least consider supporting some organization involved in protecting
    our gun ownership rights

P.S. the nra IS getting a little better about the junk mail
    And no I dont work for them, just a little worred about our gun rights