Army’s new Rifle SDM-R

Discussion in 'General Hunting' started by EC, Feb 22, 2019.

1. EC

EC 12 pointer

Jul 13, 2003
    Louisville, KY.
    Army’s new Rifle SDM-R
    [​IMG] The fForumsollowing article is from Star & Stripes
    [​IMG]
    Army Sgt. James Snow has carried an M-4 carbine and an M-110 sniper rifle as an infantryman on missions. With the M-4, he knew he was capable of hitting a target accurately up to only 300 meters. With a sniper rifle, he had less maneuverability and spent a lot of time breaking down and reassembling the larger weapon to carry.

Last month, Snow was given the opportunity to try out the Army’s new Squad Designated Marksman Rifle, or SDM-R. After just a couple days handling the new weapon, he said it felt like something that could fill the needs of both his previous weapons. It had more mobility and close combat capabilities like the M-4, but also better precision at a distance like the M-110.

“It’s easy to move around, and you can do a lot of things with it,” Snow said. “Absolutely, I would carry this around every day if I was deployed. Every day, you could carry it for every single situation.”

That was exactly the type of weapon that the Army looked to create for its combat arms squads — a weapon for one member of an infantry, armor, cavalry scout or combat engineer squad to carry and provide precision fire between 300 and 600 meters without losing the capability of hitting closer-range targets.

The need for such a rifle was identified in the 2015 Small Arms Capabilities-Based Assessment that stated “squads must have an organic, precision-fire capability to engage select personnel targets from zero to 600 meters.”
    [​IMG]
    With two weeks of testing completed this month at Fort Bliss, Texas, the Army is in the final stages of deciding what ammunition and accessories to field with the rifle. It will then purchase 6,612 for fielding with infantry, armor, cavalry scout and combat engineer units, said Capt. Sean McIntosh, assistant program manager of individual weapons, under Program Executive Office Soldier, which guides the development of new Army equipment.

“The challenge that we face is trying to provide as much capability as possible through one rifle system,” said McIntosh, who began assisting in management of the new rifle project in September 2017.
    To compare, an M-16 is lighter at about 8 pounds and 39.5 inches long. An M-110 sniper rifle is about 16 pounds and 46 inches long. Other infantrymen carry the M-4, which is about 7 pounds and 33 inches in length.

McIntosh’s team also wanted to ensure the new rifle was something soldiers would want to carry.

“This system was completely built off what soldiers wanted. All the components on this rifle were hand-picked by soldiers,” said McIntosh, referencing feedback collected from soldiers about what they wanted in a new rifle. “We’re trying to do our due diligence to get these guys everything they’re asking for.”

Some of the soldier-chosen accessories include a Sig Sauer optic with a one-to-six variable for aiming the weapon at various distances, and Geissele brand rail and trigger systems.

Sgt. 1st Class Robert Shoup, assistant team chief for the instructor training group of the Army Marksmanship Unit at Fort Benning, Ga., traveled to Fort Bliss for the testing and will help prepare training manuals on the new rifle. He agrees it has strong potential to fill its multipurpose role for squads.

Squads, three of which make up a platoon, are typically divided into two teams. Within those teams, there is a soldier with a grenade launcher, another with a machine gun and a third who serves as the rifleman.

[​IMG]
    “The role of the [squad’s designated marksman] is to be an integral part of the squad, to move and fight with them, but he’s there to help them cover that gap between the rifleman and the sniper and to really provide that precision fire if they need it from that 300- to 600-meter range,” Shoup said.

As soldiers add those longer-range distances into operation, a solid foundation in the fundamentals is important, such as stance, breathing and environment, so there will be some new element of training required to transition soldiers trained on an M-4 to the new weapon. The M-4 is most effective with precision fire up to 300 meters.

“That’s a big challenge for this week,” Shoup said. “We work on fundamentals and extending and pushing out to those distances so that the guys get a chance to see that everything they do matters.

“A lot of them don’t have experience shooting past 300 meters because that’s what the Army goes out to.”

For Sgt. Marc Rittikaidachar, a cavalry scout and squad leader in Fort Bliss’ 1st Stryker Brigade Combat Team, 1st Armored Division, shooting the new rifle was the first time he’d fired at a target beyond 500 meters, with the exception of using a machine gun. After a couple of days with the SDM-R, he felt confident aiming out 700 and 800 meters.

Even so, Rittikaidachar said, “If I had to clear a compound, I’m not handicapping the ability of [the marksman] I assign to carry that weapon system. If I need him to help clear the compound, he’s still able to engage targets up close.”

Following their time with soldiers at Fort Bliss, McIntosh said, his team will take the collected data back and PEO Soldier will finalize decisions on ammunition and make any needed changes to the equipment fielded with the rifle before placing orders “very shortly.”

The entire process of selecting and fielding the rifle has taken about 10 months, significantly less time than the projected two years for a small-arms project like this, McIntosh said. Part of that speed is credited to the fact that the rifle was originally under consideration as a new sniper rifle. When it wasn’t selected, he said, officials saw the opportunity for its use with combat arms squads.
    http://americanshootingjournal.com/army-new-rifle-sdmr/

Ataulbe1 and mudhole crossing like this.
  2. 1wildcatfan

1wildcatfan 12 pointer

Jan 2, 2009
    raised n Bullitt Co.
    Nice. i've installed the Geissele triggers in our three AR10's.

Drahts and jblack1 like this.
  3. reivertom

reivertom 12 pointer

Dec 17, 2007
    Greenup Co.
  4. DH13

DH13 12 pointer

Jan 13, 2012
    Shelby county
    Funny they go back to the 30 cal round. Even to the 60 cal was 30 cal. But military done away from the M1 and M14 because of weight and ammo weight to pack in the field. They sold the M16 because of lightness and could could carry more ammo in the field. If it was up to me. Give me back the M14.

5. mudhole crossing

mudhole crossing 12 pointer

Aug 20, 2007
    East ky
    Thsts sounds like an awesome improvement

6. mac0492

mac0492 6 pointer

Oct 15, 2013
    Give me the 240B....

7. JR in KY

JR in KY 12 pointer

Jan 25, 2006
    The Occupied South
    Very few recruits have even fired a rifle very much...some none at all. That's just the way it is in today's world ....kids don't even go outside and play anymore.
    The Rifle looks ok to me but it may be difficult to find someone to actually use it proficiently.
    Some one told me once that when the bullets start hitting all around you, all thought of Aiming just went out the window.

8. DH13

DH13 12 pointer

Jan 13, 2012
    Shelby county
    I like the 240B real good MG. But if im going fully auto give me the MAW DUECE!!!!!!

mac0492 likes this.
  9. jblack1

jblack1 10 pointer

Dec 13, 2005
    Science Hill
    I've got a SD3G in my 300 BO myself,
    I've never felt a crisper trigger on anything.

1wildcatfan and mac0492 like this.
  10. Semp

Semp 10 pointer

Feb 4, 2008
    Kaintukee
    It's dejavu all over again. The 5.56 round leaves a lot to be desired as distance increases. The 7.62 (.308 win) is a better choice. For the short ranges, I think the AK47 chambered in 7.62x39 is superior to the 5.56 M4.

11. DH13

DH13 12 pointer

Jan 13, 2012
    Shelby county
    YEP got to keep the military complex in business. Selling new products.

12. Teach Deer

Teach Deer 6 pointer

Aug 4, 2013
    Georgetown
    They are still using multiple platforms (even if they look mostly alike)...which probably makes training a bit easier...

Why not use the 6.8 SPC or 300 BO instead of the 7.62 NATO/308 which requires the AR10 platform and keep the select fire capabilities if needed...
    Also the rifles should be equipped with offset "ghost ring" type sights for CQB (which seems to be pretty standard in 3 Gun competitions)...

13. Dangermouse

Dangermouse 6 pointer

Jan 20, 2004
    Hazard, Ky, USA.
    I agree, the short comings 5.56 have always been apparent since it was introduced. Basically a varmint weapon, that could not put the kill quick enough, or not at all. While they inflict more damage on US forces. This has been magnified by the use of body armor of opposition fighters, which the 5.56 struggled to deal with.

14. Dangermouse

Dangermouse 6 pointer

Jan 20, 2004
    Hazard, Ky, USA.
    Basically it boils down to this, a shot guy can still kill you.

15. Drahts

Drahts 10 pointer

Apr 7, 2015
    KY
    My favorite AR trigger out there.

1wildcatfan likes this.