Army Launches Competition for More Powerful Combat Rifle

Discussion in 'General Hunting' started by EC, Aug 7, 2017.

1. bigbill30978

bigbill30978 Spike

May 17, 2013
    Warren Michigan
    300 Blackout, or 458 Socom, two real good rounds that would punch through some body armor.

2. Marsh CallUser

Marsh CallUser 10 pointer

May 20, 2011
    Bowling Green, KY
    6.8 is a pretty devistating round. 80% power of 308 with a lot less recoil. Better follow up target acquisition.

3. Jarhead

Jarhead 8 pointer

Feb 20, 2005
    Allen co. Ky.
    I'm all for a heavier round. My Dad hated the 5.56 in Vietnam and I wasn't found of it while I was in. Fun to shoot and I shoot one a lot now. But will not to be my first choice for combat. Everyone's worried about $$$$ being spent but our Military need and deserve the very best we can get. Their lives depend on it!!! A modified m-14 I'm ok with for a quick fix. A round in between 5.56 and .308 would be good for reduced recoil and weight of carry. As for giving our troops M1 Garands...... As for myself it's a great rifle for that time period but I'm not going to place it anywhere near the top of my list and if you issued me one for modern day combat I wouldn't have to worry about using it because I'd wind up in the brigg! We've got to take care of our boys!!! If you were there you'd want the best equipment also,

4. kyarcher

kyarcher Cyber-Hunter

Dec 12, 2001
    Garrard County, Ky
    I thought stuff like that couldn’t be shipped out of the US?

5. Iceman35

Iceman35 12 pointer

Oct 27, 2008
    Boone County
    I'm fairly certain that terrorists find a way around the rules. Maybe they get it from Russia, or some other third world crap hole, but I've got first hand accounts of them having it.

6. That mentality has always proven a dismal failure. The US military was certain that dominating the sky would all but eliminate ground fighting. In the end it's always boots on the ground that determine the outcome.

Jarhead and carnivore like this.
  7. Thought the same thing after looking at the ballistics of the 6.8 SPC, while trying to decide on a AR format that would be an all-purpose rifle (hunting and protection). After talking with some AR owners, it seems the 6.8 is really hard on the rifles and most don't recommend the round.
    That being said, the FN SCAR has an excellent reputation and is available in either 5.56 or .308. Just IMO, they should have stuck with a .308 to begin with for standard use. Seems like a win-win to me.

8. louisvillehunter

louisvillehunter Fawn

Oct 27, 2017
    Louisville
    what about a 7mm-08 for any AR or SCAR platform? A little less recoil than a 308 and all they have to do is resize the neck on the brass.