Ashland WMA Lee County KY

Discussion in 'General Hunting' started by wildirishman64, Dec 26, 2018.

1. wildirishman64

wildirishman64 6 pointer

Dec 21, 2013
    Owsley County KY
    Hope everyone had a good Christmas, just bought a farm in Owsley County (Close to work as my girls have all grown up). My GSP and I still like to walk the woods in search of that elusive grouse. Has anyone ever hunted this place, it's about 7 miles from my farm. I normally hunt MILL Creek in Jackson County but clearcuts are a thing of the past I believe.

2. Munson

Munson 8 pointer

Dec 24, 2011
    Natural Bridge
    Not hunted it but drove through the part off rt11 down to work on some cabins at fixer. What I seen was all mature timber.

3. wildirishman64

wildirishman64 6 pointer

Dec 21, 2013
    Owsley County KY
    Thanks for the feedback Munson, on the KDFR website it stated that it had moderate grouse populations, guessing that was back in 2008.

4. EastKYHardwoodHunter

EastKYHardwoodHunter Spike

Mar 4, 2018
    Beattyville
    I live in lee county, don’t hunt the wma but have buddies that do. not seen or even heard a grouse in this country in probably 10 years, maybe longer. buddies don’t recall seeing or hearing any there either

Munson and wildirishman64 like this.
  5. wildirishman64

wildirishman64 6 pointer

Dec 21, 2013
    Owsley County KY
    Thats pretty sad, when I moved here 30 years ago they were pretty scattered but was able to atleast get some on point. What's the turkey hunting like around there??

6. EastKYHardwoodHunter

Mar 4, 2018
    Beattyville
    good population. Real good actually. A lot of hunters to compete with on the turkeys.

7. wildirishman64

wildirishman64 6 pointer

Dec 21, 2013
    Owsley County KY
    That's good news, thank you for your feedback

8. Munson

Munson 8 pointer

Dec 24, 2011
    Natural Bridge
    Yep I agree. Not trying to be a debbie downer but if you wanna see any resemblance of a population of grouse, drive north. It's sad really how the state has handled the situation, or lack there of. On the upside you shouldn't see many terrorists or tourists some ppl call em on your search this time of year.

wildirishman64 likes this.
  9. EastKYHardwoodHunter

Mar 4, 2018
    Beattyville
    Kdfwr has done some grouse habitat improvements around paintsville lake I read about a while back. Not sure how u go about hunting it. That’s about an hour and a half drive from owsley co. Not sure if it’s helped in anything but I read about it

10. Lucky Dog

Lucky Dog Fawn

Feb 2, 2017
    We have a hunter-mentor program sponsored by the Kentucky River Ruffed Grouse Society at 1 pm on Saturday, January 26 at Miller
    Welch WMA. You are welcome to attend. Grouse populations are down and we are working with Fish and Wildlife and the Forest service on some habitat projects but there is more going on than habitat. We can get you a list of all the strip jobs and areas open to elk hunting which are also available to grouse hunters. There will not be a lot of grouse anywhere but some of these have promise. If you are interested in helping or being involved you can email me at mybirddogs@yahoo.com.

11. wildirishman64

wildirishman64 6 pointer

Dec 21, 2013
    Owsley County KY
    Yes definitely, I would be interested. I moved from Madison County and have shot dove every year for the last 20 years. I will email you and post this to my "to do" jobs in January. Thanks for the information Lucky Dog. My GSP will be excited to hear this news. I hunted at Clay WMA, got drawn for pheasant this year with some buddies. Couldn't attend because of the ice storm. Hunted it Saturday along with two other hunters and dogs. Heard a grouse flush way ahead of dog. Walked 5.5 miles and my trigger did 10 lol, I will keep at it though. look for my email from wildirishman64@gmail.com