Atv winch question

Discussion in 'General Hunting' started by RKF11, Dec 25, 2016.

1. RKF11

RKF11 6 pointer

Apr 9, 2010
    Southeastern KY
    I've been looking at a winch for my atv. Getting the deer out of the mountains is getting harder and harder lol. I've always had wire cable in the past but I see a lot with the synthetic cable now. Anyone use the synthetic? Pros and cons of it?
    Thanks

2. Capttrae

Capttrae 12 pointer

Apr 2, 2012
    Never used it on my winch but we use it for mooring lines on the boat. I can see where it would be very useful in a winch, much more flexible and easier to maintain . More pros to it, if your hook breaks off, instead of needing crimps and swagers or cable clamps, just throw a bowline in there to tie your hook on and your done in 1-2 mins instead of taking half the day looking up tools and such

RKF11 likes this.
  3. useyourbow

useyourbow 12 pointer

I have not used the synthetic but have done some research. The more reasonable priced ropes have been made in China and I for one am not putting any trust in their ability to rate poundage on something that if it went wrong could end in serious injury. The rope that was made in the US that I have researched has gotten good reviews and the flexibility would be a plus for sure.

RKF11 likes this.
  4. Daquila862

Daquila862 Fawn

Oct 26, 2016
    The biggest advantage of a synthetic cable is its safety; it will NOT swingshot if it is broken under strain. A wire cable can be dangerous if the cable breaks under pressure!

5. stevenvalleyagain

stevenvalleyagain 10 pointer

Aug 15, 2005
    Valley station
    This ^
    Most guys using their 4 wheelers for snow plowing are using the synthetic rope as it wears much better than the cable at sharp angles too.

6. richief

richief 10 pointer

Jun 20, 2012
    down a holler SE KY
    Only drawback I see is price, wire is much cheaper.