barney's Cheap Eatin' Thread

Discussion in 'Food Preparation, Camp Cooking and Recipes' started by barney, Oct 22, 2017.

1. mudhole crossing

mudhole crossing 12 pointer

Aug 20, 2007
    East ky
    My daddy grew up rough. I mean they ate what they raised: garden food, hogs, chicken, squirrel, rabbits, groundpigs, grouse, possum, coon etc. I will ask him about that such recipe.

barney likes this.
  2. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    No one around here had ever heard of corn gravy, but everyone who has ever tried it, when it is fixed right loves it.

My sister-in-law came to visit one afternoon years ago just as we were putting supper on the table, CG and biscuits. We asked her to stay and eat, she did and loved the CG so much she wanted me to show her how to make it. I promised I would some day. My SIL kept asking my wife about it for months after that, so much so my wife took it as she was hitting on me. My wife barely speaks to her to this day.:)

bondhu likes this.
  3. mudhole crossing

Aug 20, 2007
    East ky
    Bahahaha!!!

4. Feedman

Feedman Cyber-Hunter

May 28, 2003
    In the basement
    This post made me cry. My mouth is watering like a fresh water spring after a big rain.:)o_O:)

barney likes this.
  5. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    :)

6. mudhole crossing

Aug 20, 2007
    East ky
    IMG_0674.JPG A Lil late evening snack, gizzards and a few hearts

barney likes this.
  7. mudhole crossing

Aug 20, 2007
    East ky
    Dad said he never heard of that corn gravy recipe either.

barney likes this.
  8. I made a cobbler last year out of some nice fat tame blackberries the same as I would a peach one and I nearly couldn’t eat cause it was so tart. I mean ugly face tart lol. You’re right about the sugar lol, cooking must really turn a sweet berry tart. I make the old standby cobbler of a cup of sugar, flour and milk mixed and poured over melted stick of butter in Pyrex, then spoon berries over and bake. That extra 1/3 cup of sugar over berries — or more lol — is the secret.

This will be getting made next weekend when our honey select sweet corn and first brandywines will be ready.

bondhu and barney like this.
  9. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    drakeshooter likes this.
  10. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    Here lately I've been sprinkling about a tablespoon of turbinado "sugar in the raw" over the crust just before it starts to brown. I don't think you can get enough sugar on a tame blackberry!

Give us a report on the corn gravy.. Honey Select is one of the first synergistic varieties, and a good one. It will make some good corn gravy!

I got my corn today from a friend who grows synergistic varieties, I didn't ask the name of the one I got today, but it was really good. Out of at least 50 different varieties of corn I grew over the years, my all time favorite variety is still a synergistic bicolor called Montauk. If you get a chance give it a try.

bondhu and drakeshooter like this.
  11. Ambrosia is still my favorite til I find one better haha, like peaches & cream on steroids.

Lady Hunter likes this.
  12. Lady Hunter

Lady Hunter 12 pointer

Jan 12, 2009
    Mmmm.... Ambrosia sweet corn - you'll never go back to peaches & cream again!! Hope to pick up a couple bushels this week for the freezer.

drakeshooter likes this.
  13. mudhole crossing

Aug 20, 2007
    East ky
    Hard for me to decide between ambrosia and honey select. We bout to get knee deep in honey select in a week. 39 rows of it. $5 dz

drakeshooter and Lady Hunter like this.
  14. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    $1 WooHoo! apples from Kroger.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. mudhole crossing

Aug 20, 2007
    East ky