barney's Cheap Eatin' Thread

Discussion in 'Food Preparation, Camp Cooking and Recipes' started by barney, Oct 22, 2017.

1. bird whisperer

bird whisperer 10 pointer

Aug 16, 2012
    Hog Town USA
    Can I buy some of those seads from you? I found my first pawpaw tree this fall. It was about 12 feet tall and in the middle of an old shooting lane at one of my old deer blinds. Needless to say that shooting lane will be no more. The pawpaw tree takes precedence.

2. forager

forager 8 pointer

Mar 5, 2017
    planet earth
    After I harvest and process pawpaws from different spots, I mix the seeds together for diversity and scatter them in the areas that the trees are found. This is giving back to that which gave to me. So, all of the seeds are back where they came from.

Here is a great link about pawpaw cultivation. Perhaps you can get seeds from these folks!

http://www.pawpaw.kysu.edu/

Nock likes this.
  3. Nock

Nock 12 pointer

Sep 9, 2012
    butler co
    I’ve never seen any. I’d love to try one. May look into finding some seeds to plant.

4. Dark Cloud

Dark Cloud 10 pointer

Aug 14, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    Check with the forestry service this spring,they gave out all kinds of pawpaw seedlings this past spring,along with many other kinds.Probably do the same this coming spring,

Nock and barney like this.
  5. bondhu

bondhu 10 pointer

Jul 3, 2015
    Battle Run
    If you have been in KY woods you have more than likely been close to a pawpaw tree. I always thought they where like ginsang and arrowheads you have to be looking for them our you may not notice them. And the window from not ripe to rotten is pretty small. But when I was a kid they where a treat that we keep an eye on and made an effort to gather.

JR PORTER and Nock like this.
  6. Pointpuller

Pointpuller 8 pointer

Feb 15, 2011
    Tallahassee, FL.
    Like that cheap eating y'all got going on. Here is a pretty cheap tasty one from yesterday. Flathead's, fried tators and cheese grits.
    [​IMG]

bondhu, Nock, forager and 2 others like this.
  7. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    Lookin' good, sir!
    Feel free to share food pics anytime.

8. Pointpuller

Pointpuller 8 pointer

Feb 15, 2011
    Tallahassee, FL.
    Thank you sir.
    I used to post quite a bit of cooking pics in here a few years ago. Seems like it almost went dead for a while. Lets get it going again. Love cooking and eatin. Used to get lots of good ideas from this forum.

barney likes this.
  9. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    I agree.. We need to get this food forum rolling again!

10. Nock

Nock 12 pointer

Sep 9, 2012
    butler co
    Yum......flathead one of my favorites. Nice.

11. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    I consider leftovers cheap eatin' too. I do country ham every Christmas, but that is the first Harper's brand ham I've fixed in about 25 years. If I don't have a home cured ham, I buy Clifty Farms. This year on a whim I bought the Harper's, and it's about as good as ham gets!
    [​IMG]

12. supergoat80

supergoat80 8 pointer

Aug 31, 2012
    Barney that is one of the finest looking pizzas I’ve ever seen

barney likes this.
  13. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    Thanks!

My daughter in law LOVES my homemade pizza and Stromboli. She asked at Christmas when I was going to make some. I told her when we get through the holidays, then pizza season would start!

14. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    Cheap snack. Wifey said no goodnight kiss tonight.
    [​IMG]

bondhu, Nock and Feedman like this.