barney's Cheap Eatin' Thread

Discussion in 'Food Preparation, Camp Cooking and Recipes' started by barney, Oct 22, 2017.

1. nock

nock 12 pointer

Sep 9, 2012
    butler co
    2075E566-E0C9-4888-BEE8-1F4A692E14E4.jpeg
    Taco soup tonight. Cheap easy and it just gets better after a day or two.

bondhu, inchr48 and barney like this.
  2. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    I've never made it, but my mother makes it and I love it! Taco soup is definitely on my bucket list. That looks awesome BTW, nock!

nock likes this.
  3. nock

nock 12 pointer

Sep 9, 2012
    butler co
    When you make you a bowl. Throw some some cheese and a glob of sour cream on it. Good stuff.

Lady Hunter, bondhu and barney like this.
  4. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    I'm glad you made the taco soup post last night.. otherwise I wouldn't of had this today! A cheap, and VERY satisfying meal for a cold day.
    [​IMG]

bondhu and nock like this.
  5. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    Talk about cheap eatin', I literally made this for peanuts!
    [​IMG]

6. Dark Cloud

Dark Cloud 10 pointer

Aug 14, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    That the stuff ,that’s hard on the mouth and diabetes ,but just can’t put it down when I start on it.Whats your recipe ,I just finished off a big container this week,

barney likes this.
  7. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    My beloved grandmother let me mess her kitchen up starting when I was really, really young, like 6 or 7 years old. I would do wasteful experiments with food whilst she watched my every move, then she would clean up my mess while I took a well deserved nap. Not once did she ever say one word to discourage me, often, she would actually encourage me to cook.

My grandmother was probably the best cook I have ever known, but she never once opened a cookbook that I ever saw. She had a few OLD cookbooks I found in a cupboard once while I was plundering (her word) around. I would pick a recipe out of one of the books, and she would help me read the list of ingredients and instructions, and I would cook it. Most of the recipes didn't turn out very well. But, I would always show my mother what I had made that day when she came to pick me up after work. I would always make her taste it. Almost always my mother would take a small taste and go, UM that's really good while heading to the back door to spit it while I wasn't looking.

That changed the day I stumbled upon the peanut brittle recipe I found in one of the old cookbooks! That day mother tasted the peanut brittle, then got another taste. Then she asked where it came from. I told her I made it, she looked over to my grandmother, who was nodding yes. My mother then, reaching for another piece asked where I got the recipe. She made me show her the exact recipe I used, and she sat at the kitchen table and wrote it down before we left.

I remember making peanut brittle for my mother several times over the next few years when she asked me so she could take it to work.

Anyhow, I love peanut brittle, but have only made it a handful of times over the years since. My wife, out of the clear blue mentioned it this afternoon, so I made her some. It's a foolproof recipe.

1/4 cup of water
    1/2 cup light corn syrup
    1 cup sugar
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    Bring these ingredients to a boil over medium heat, and when the sugar is dissolved, add 2 cups of peanuts. Continue cooking until the mixture reaches 300 degrees. Remove it from the heat and stir in 2 tablespoons of butter, and 1 tablespoon of baking soda. Pour the mixture on to a lightly greased cookie sheet and let it cool.

8. Dark Cloud

Dark Cloud 10 pointer

Aug 14, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    Thanks Barney we’ll give it a try,wife got this I had from Sams ,it was pretty good,but I like anything homemade better than store bought.

barney likes this.
  9. JR PORTER

JR PORTER 6 pointer

May 1, 2014
    KNOTT CO. KY
    You all are making me hungry!

10. JR PORTER

JR PORTER 6 pointer

May 1, 2014
    KNOTT CO. KY
    I love peanut brittle!

barney likes this.
  11. JR PORTER

JR PORTER 6 pointer

May 1, 2014
    KNOTT CO. KY
    You've never seen a pawpaw? I love'em we've go hundreds of'em. Wish I had saved some seeds.

12. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    When pork sirloin roasts are 89¢/lb., soup is cheap, especially if most everything else in it was home preserved. I paired it with some homemade pimento cheese made from some manager special cheddar cheese, and frozen red bells from the garden.
    [​IMG]
    I also made some YUGE fluffy cinnamon rolls topped with cream cheese frosting for dessert. I've found for best results, cinnamon rolls need to be made with a high gluten flour, and the dough well worked to get a good rise and texture . I also use real butter, and only egg yolks.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Snareman2, drakeshooter, nock and 3 others like this.
  13. Dark Cloud

Dark Cloud 10 pointer

Aug 14, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    Them cinnamon rolls looks high dollar good.

Snareman2, xbokilla and barney like this.
  14. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    There's never even a morsel of one of the cinnamon rolls left on a plate..

15. Feedman

Feedman Cyber-Hunter

May 28, 2003
    In the basement
    Dang gum it. I gotta move closer to Barney an Pentail

barney likes this.