barney's Cheap Eatin' Thread

Discussion in 'Food Preparation, Camp Cooking and Recipes' started by barney, Oct 22, 2017.

1. Dark Cloud

Dark Cloud 10 pointer

Aug 14, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    I’ve been thanking in the line of adoption myself,good food and good squirrel dogs ,trained up and ready to go.

Luther's Feist and barney like this.
  2. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    All you have to do is let them Jack Stacked feist dogs know you care about them, and they'll go beyond the limits to hunt their hearts out for you! My dogs always get kind words, and a little something special mixed with the kibble every single day.
    Jax, ain't a year old yet, but I swear, I believe he would take a bullet for me!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. bondhu

bondhu 10 pointer

Jul 3, 2015
    Battle Run
    Wow cinnamon rolls

4. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    I made a batch of pizza dough last Thursday, I figured I need to get those used up.

Stromboli with pepperoni, hard salami, ham, provolone, and mozzarella cheese.

Ready to be brushed with garlic butter.
    [​IMG]
    The filling sprinkled with a little oregano, and crushed cayenne pepper.
    [​IMG]
    All rolled up.
    [​IMG]
    18 minutes later.
    [​IMG]
    Served with a little homemade pizza sauce on the side.
    [​IMG]

nock, Snareman2, bondhu and 3 others like this.
  5. Pointpuller

Pointpuller 8 pointer

Feb 15, 2011
    Tallahassee, FL.
    Barney, that looks great. Thanks for the idea.

barney likes this.
  6. beauhunter41031

beauhunter41031 6 pointer

Jan 1, 2018
    Cynthiana, Ky
    Looks great give me some ideas for dinner this week

barney likes this.
  7. Pointpuller

Pointpuller 8 pointer

Feb 15, 2011
    Tallahassee, FL.
    Cheap eating and an idea for a quick and tasty different meal for you. Cooked this tonight. Deer burger nachos. Brown the burger with some taco seasoning and I think you can figure out the rest.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

nock, Snareman2, drakeshooter and 5 others like this.
  8. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    I can see right off that's a winner for me, I love anything taco! Thanks for sharing!

9. Feedman

Feedman Cyber-Hunter

May 28, 2003
    In the basement
    Going for a big pot of pinto beans an cornbread tonight!!!!

barney likes this.
  10. ptbrauch

ptbrauch 12 pointer

Nov 10, 2004
    J-Town
    If you're going to do nachos, you have to do them the Pioneer Woman way. Basically, you put down a layer of chips, then you put some meat and cheese down, and maybe some salsa or taco sauce. Then on top of that, you put another layer of chips and repeat with the meat and cheese. And then you top that with more chips and repeat. Yes, 3 layers! Then you put the whole thing in the oven to heat up and melt, and then you take it out and add the sour cream, pico, jalapenos, etc.

TripleGee, nock, Snareman2 and 3 others like this.
  11. Winchester94

Winchester94 Fawn

Mar 21, 2016
    How about sharing the cinnamon roll recipe, those look really good.

bondhu likes this.
  12. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    Thanks! This is a combination of recipes I've tweaked over the years to make a recipe that my family says is the best. The frosting is also the best cinnamon roll frosting I've came across.
    The dough:
    1. 4 cups of AP flour. Bread flour works best.
    2. 1/2 cup white sugar.
    3. 2 1/4 tsp. Yeast, or 1 packet.
    4. 1 tsp. Salt
    5. 1 stick butter.
    6. 1 cup milk.
    7. 2 whole eggs, or 4 yolks.

The filling:
    1. 1 cup dark brown sugar packed.
    2. 3 Tablespoons cinnamon.
    3. 1/2 stick of soft butter.

The frosting:
    1. 1/2 stick softened butter.
    2. 1/4 block of softened cream cheese.
    3. 1/2 cup powdered sugar.
    4. 1 tsp. Vanilla extract.
    5. 1/2 tsp. Lemon juice.

Directions:
    For the dough, add the dry ingredients to a mixer bowl with dough hook attachment, and start processing on low speed. Melt the butter into the milk. You just want the milk warm enough to melt the butter.

Add the eggs to the processing flour mixture and then start pouring the milk and melted butter into bowl. It should form a soft dough that leaves the side of the mixing bowl, but is attached to the bottom. If it doesn't do this adjust by adding a little flour for a wet dough, or a little milk for a dry dough. Let the mixer work the dough for 8-10 minutes. At this point you can remove and cover the dough to rest for a few minutes while you make the filling, or you could let it rise for and hour or so. I've done it both ways with good results, but prefer to let the dough rise once for a little extra yeasty flavor.

On a very lightly floured surface, roll the dough into a rectangle, roughly 12" X 16" X 1/2" thickness. Smear the soft butter evenly over rectangle. Mix the dark brown sugar and cinnamon. Spread the sugar mixture evenly over the buttered dough. Starting on a long side, roll the dough into a log. Cut the log into 12 rolls and place them into a greased 9"X 13" pan. Cover the pan and let them rise to at least doubled, I let them go to triple or more. Then bake them for 18-20 minutes at 350 degrees. They should be just slightly browned.

While the rolls are baking, cream together the soft butter and cream cheese. Then add the powdered sugar, vanilla, and lemon juice. Continue to mix the frosting until it is light and fluffy. As soon as the rolls come out of the oven, I spread the frosting on and let it melt into all of the nooks and crannies.

nock, drakeshooter, inchr48 and 2 others like this.
  13. bondhu

bondhu 10 pointer

Jul 3, 2015
    Battle Run
    LMOA ,they been clawin at you ain't they? Hell, with the stromboli,chili and nachos lets backer up to the cinnamon rolls yet.:):):)

barney likes this.
  14. bondhu

bondhu 10 pointer

Jul 3, 2015
    Battle Run
    stromboli.jpg
    Barney's Stromboli last night. We liked it Bigly.:):):):) 4 happy's. LMAO

nock, drakeshooter and barney like this.
  15. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    When the store screws up and mis prices jumbo shrimp.. they turn into some fine cheap eatin'!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

nock, bondhu and drakeshooter like this.