Barren River Lake - Bailey's or State Park Campground

Discussion in 'Camping' started by smashdn, May 5, 2016.

1. smashdn

smashdn 12 pointer

Nov 24, 2003
    Palmyra, Kentucky
    Bailey's Point or State Park Campground?

I am not much of a campground camper anymore but I plan on going with a buddy of mine and his two boys next weekend. Plan to take the boat and do some jug fishing or trotline or something with them. Been a while since I camped in either campground. I know the boat ramp at Bailey's is a pain to use. Does the state park campground have its own ramp? I know the state park has its own ramp I use that one regularly.

If you had your druthers for tent camping what campground would you pick?

2. samjoe

samjoe 6 pointer

Oct 26, 2004
    fisherville ky
    Smash,I prefer Baileys point with The Narrows a close second.I've been to both numerous times.I've never been to the state park.

3. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    I always like the Narrows better due to location.

4. smashdn

smashdn 12 pointer

Nov 24, 2003
    Palmyra, Kentucky
    Location on the lake or the campground itself? I have never been to the Narrows campground, I mean I have never been through it/stayed there, I know where it is located at.

One upside I can think of for Baileys or the state park is there is a new Dollar General fairly close and J&L is there if we need anything.

5. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    The lake. I fished Skaggs and Beaver more than the river or dam area.

6. smashdn

smashdn 12 pointer

Nov 24, 2003
    Palmyra, Kentucky
    I fish from 31-e bridge to the islands for the most part.

I am finding that most of the sites at Baileys are booked up and the state park looks to be more tailored to rv's and campers.

We weren't wanting to get them boys too awful far from home in case this whole thing went south.

7. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
  8. smashdn

smashdn 12 pointer

Nov 24, 2003
    Palmyra, Kentucky
    Frankvegas

But now I am reserving us a site at Hillman's. Disenchanted with the state park looks and Bailey's was packed. Hillman's had a site available for reservation tucked way back in the woods that I had been to before. Will be good to get them away from other people as they are wilder than bucks.

9. slobear

slobear 10 pointer

Nov 20, 2014
    Narrows is probably my favorite on Barren but Baileys is good as well. Baileys have all kinds of "back in the woods" sites that are always available.

No electric and prepare for ticks but some pretty nice peaceful sites.

10. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    If you want remote, try the spillway area..... Depending on the corps, it can be a bit smelly though.

11. KYhunter

KYhunter Cyber-Hunter

Dec 9, 2001