Bear hide tanning

Discussion in 'General Hunting' started by ky_coal_miner, Nov 25, 2018.

1. ky_coal_miner

ky_coal_miner Spike

May 15, 2015
    Clay County Ky
    anyone know of a place in ky to get a bear hide tanned?

2. 1wildcatfan

1wildcatfan 12 pointer

Jan 2, 2009
    raised n Bullitt Co.
    any taxidermist can do it or have it done.

3. elkaholic

elkaholic 12 pointer

Jan 12, 2012
    Pendleton County
    Not any taxidermist can do it. I would suggest to google places that do bear rugs and call them. A bear hide is completely different than the deer hides that most taxidermist in Ky are used to doing.

4. 1wildcatfan

1wildcatfan 12 pointer

Jan 2, 2009
    raised n Bullitt Co.
    i've never tanned anything and don't know anything about it, but i don't know why one hide would be different than the other. flesh it, soak it in a tanning solution, etc. part B to my post was "or have it done". a lot of taxidermist use commercial tanneries. several of the taxidermist i have used have used this one
    https://tannery.thewildlifegallery.com/. they probably need the taxidermist license # to accompany any hide sent in.

5. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012
    Not sure how different it would be from deer but my old man tans 3-4 deer hides per year.

6. Bubbles

Bubbles 8 pointer

Oct 25, 2016
    I have seen it done on TV and it seemed rather simple using the brain. But 2 things that freak me out touching are brains and the inside of a pumpkin of all things.